FitSplit review

ChelePA

Cathlete
Finally finished all of the workouts for FitSplit. I really like the format. Especially since I have been on break from Cathe for a month. I would say the intensity is slightly more than Ice. For those of you who can match her upper body weights, wow! Sometimes I am at half her weight. The upper body work packs a punch in a short amount of time. Perfect for this girl who struggles to not overdo the cardio. The only negatives for me is the music. It’s okay. And since I don’t subscribe, I wish the premixes had more of a variety like Ice or her older workouts. Hope everyone is enjoying the new series!!!

Finally finished all of the workouts for FitSplit. I really like the format. Especially since I have been on break from Cathe for a month. I would say the intensity is slightly more than Ice. For those of you who can match her upper body weights, wow! Sometimes I am at half her weight. The upper body work packs a punch in a short amount of time. Perfect for this girl who struggles to not overdo the cardio. The only negatives for me is the music. It’s okay. And since I don’t subscribe, I wish the premixes had more of a variety like Ice or her older workouts. Hope everyone is enjoying the new series!!!

I have to agree with you. I am loving these workouts. I am also always at a lower weight than Cathe. I love knowing the weights she is using so I can aspire to get there. I enjoy the length of the workouts. I workout after a long workday and about 50-60 minutes are all I can do. I like the option of breaking up cardio and strength training if I need to be done in 30 -40 minutes. My fitness focus for this year is more strength training. These workouts will help me stay focused on that goal.

Music could be better:/

I've only been doing the shorter premixes but am loving them so far. I haven't done either push or pull workouts only. I workout a few times a day and love the shorter workouts and to get such a great weight workout in that time, LOVE IT. I only like some of the abs because I have a hard time with certain planks, esp. with the discs. My feet don't cooperate. I miss abs on the ball, I wish there was a small segment for that. I like that this series feels harder than ICE but easier than RWH. Great in-between.

I've only been doing the shorter premixes but am loving them so far. I haven't done either push or pull workouts only. I workout a few times a day and love the shorter workouts and to get such a great weight workout in that time, LOVE IT. I only like some of the abs because I have a hard time with certain planks, esp. with the discs. My feet don't cooperate. I miss abs on the ball, I wish there was a small segment for that. I like that this series feels harder than ICE but easier than RWH. Great in-between.

Thanks for your great feedback!

I appreciate all the reviews and Cathe's feedback so far. To add to the discussion, I would agree that these workouts are high intermediate and quite similar to recent programs by Cathe. I have been disappointed by the intensity, but I did enjoy the boxing workout. I find the weights sections good for when I want to work quickly with medium-to-heavy weights. (I use 1.25x to 2x the weights Cathe uses for most exercises.)

I am surprised at the focus (and seeming preference by most users) on cardio first + weights, when evidence indicates (and even Cathe's blog has mentioned) that splitting cardio and weights is more effective... I understand that some people like to do both in a single workout, but from what I have read, weights should go first.

I appreciate all the reviews and Cathe's feedback so far. To add to the discussion, I would agree that these workouts are high intermediate and quite similar to recent programs by Cathe. I have been disappointed by the intensity, but I did enjoy the boxing workout. I find the weights sections good for when I want to work quickly with medium-to-heavy weights. (I use 1.25x to 2x the weights Cathe uses for most exercises.)

I am surprised at the focus (and seeming preference by most users) on cardio first + weights, when evidence indicates (and even Cathe's blog has mentioned) that splitting cardio and weights is more effective... I understand that some people like to do both in a single workout, but from what I have read, weights should go first.

Aren't there premixes that do the weights first? I thought there was.

Hi tlc93,
All of the Fit Split workouts come with a premix to do weights first if you prefer to train this way or you can separate the cardio and strength workouts if you prefer. That's the whole idea about Fit Split. But to be clear there is no scientific evidence to support training with weights first is superior to doing cardio first. What studies indicate and what we have said in our Blog is that if your main goal is to "increase muscle size" or strength then your main focus should be on strength training and that means you might want to do strength training first when you're fresh instead of an intense cardio session first. If your goal is weight loss or cardiovascular fitness you may find it beneficial to reverse the training order and do cardio first. In either case there isn't going to probably be a huge difference in results. Fit Split gives you the option to train in whatever way you feel meets your goals and busy schedule.

True, whether to prioritize cardio or strength depends on one's goals. And your response is helpful and echoes ACE: https://www.acefitness.org/educatio...-articles/6228/cardio-before-or-after-lifting

That said, training with weights first (and separately) is superior for strength and hypertrophy, though it may not matter whether it's first or second for basic physical fitness. Fat loss will of course depend on diet.

Based on these sources:
Source 1: Cadore EL. Strength prior to endurance intra-session exercise sequence optimizes neuromuscular and cardiovascular gains in elderly men. Exp Gerontol. 2012 Feb;47(2):164-9. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2011.11.013.

Source 2: Eklund D. Neuromuscular adaptations to different modes of combined strength and endurance training. Int J Sports Med. 2015 Feb;36(2):120-9.

Source 3: Cadore EL. Neuromuscular adaptations to concurrent training in the elderly: effects of intrasession exercise sequence. Age (Dordr). 2013 Jun;35(3):891-903.

Source 4: Wilson JM. Concurrent training: a meta-analysis examining interference of aerobic and resistance exercises. J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Aug;26(8):2293-307.

https://www.docdroid.net/nAHGEN0/eklund2016.pdf#page=2

Last edited:
I did the legs and kickbox last week - in that order - premix. I was suffering from a mild head cold and I loved this premix. It gave me the ability to do my strength training first, while I still had some. If I had done the cardio first, I don't think I would have made it through. This premix sort of ramped up and I was able to do it all, and then some of the core work (did not have it in me to do it all). So far, so great!

Having done the full workouts, I'm now doing just the "parts" and I gotta tell ya, they are a great option :D for days you just don't have the time. They also inspire me to do more workouts a week than when I do long ones :p! Did "push" this morning and felt it even without the cardio ;)!

I also love the variety in the premixes. "Some days are better than others" and there are times I want to do cardio first, days I want to do weights first, and days I just want to do one or the other. The premixes make it much easier to do whatever I'm needing for the day :cool:!

Last edited:

Sorry, but there are no 'shoulds' in fitness, as in many aspects of life. There is only what works for the individual as far as time, energy, physiology, psychology and personal preference dictate. I never do weights before cardio. There is no way in hell I ever will. But cardio before weights works for me just fine!

Each to her own. Just not 'should.'

Clare

I pulled out fit split for the first time this morning. I did a push pull premix but skipped through some segments due to time, what I did yesterday etc.. This is impressive. I love supersets and these move so fast that your muscle is exhausted quickly. Cathe just keeps changing it up. These are really good but then how could they not be? Its cathe. More Fit split to come for me :) I am not fussy about music so it was fine for me - i didn't even notice it -that said, I loved the music in Xtrain, earlier workouts, cross fire, TTM etc.. The music in hardstrikes just revs me up instantly and I can't help but work out!

And Clare I guess should is a trigger word for you hence the response :)

I pulled out fit split for the first time this morning. I did a push pull premix but skipped through some segments due to time, what I did yesterday etc.. This is impressive. I love supersets and these move so fast that your muscle is exhausted quickly. Cathe just keeps changing it up. These are really good but then how could they not be? Its cathe. More Fit split to come for me :) I am not fussy about music so it was fine for me - i didn't even notice it -that said, I loved the music in Xtrain, earlier workouts, cross fire, TTM etc.. The music in hardstrikes just revs me up instantly and I can't help but work out!

And Clare I guess should is a trigger word for you hence the response :)

I so agree with the "these move so fast" observation! I am used to a bit more rest from previous Cathe workouts, but in this series, it is giddy up! Fine by me...I am as busy as most of us, and so appreciate that I can get a full push or pull workout in approximately 30 minutes, including warm up and stretch. I am just going to lift as heavy as I can and keep telling myself "The second and third sets are usually shorter..." Always a new challenge, and isn't that why we love Cathe?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.