Fitprime & "Weights First"

l23

Cathlete
(I haven't read this forum recently, so forgive me if this is a repeat topic)

Has anyone done the "Weights First" video from the fitprime website? It sounds interesting.

Any reviews?
Thanks!

I have done Weights First several times now. The production is totally different from what you ever seen before; it has funky, New Age music. That makes it interesting. It is fun and a good cardio workout. The heart rate is up there the whole time but it does not build muscle in my opinion. I use it as a "working break" from a muscle building rotation. It does emphasize the lower body (like most Firms) and using a 26 lbs barbell will get you sore for about two workouts. I don't think the yoga poses are doing any good. They are not held very long. I would put it in the Circuit Max category. I would buy the tape again.

I love weights first!!!! I use a 30lb barbell for the leg work the leg press and those one legged squats are killers . For the next two days I can hardly walk, I also heavy up for the arm work it's a tough workout one you will definetly feel. To me it's like working out with your girlfriend Tracie has such a great personality and she's tough. I plan to add it to my rotation if I can, at least two days a week but that's pushing it.
Already on fitprime some people are posting really good results. I love the music, and I also love the different exercises it's very innovative and I like that. Get it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Shanda

Any cardio?

Is there any cardio in this video, or is it all weights?
How long is it?

Shanda (or anyone else), do you use the tape as your main weight workout, or do you use it to supplement your existing weight workout? Have you noticed any changes since doing it?

Thanks for your responses!!

I have this tape and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

If you're looking for a tape similar to Leaner Legs or Cathe's style, this IS NOT IT. This tape has a "firm" feel to it. (Don't know if you've done the Firm Before!)....

I kinda equate Tracie Long is to the Firm what Phil Collins was to Genesis (and if you don't know who Phil Collins and/or Genesis is -- please don't tell me... I'll feel old!).

It is a lower body focus. It moves quickly, working on the "dominant" leg principle. Stating that most of us (right-handed), tend to work the right side FIRST, so They work the left side first. It's not quite as bad as it sounds... it's not 30 mins. left side and then 30 mins. right side... there's some forward and backward movement and some breaks in there. But, I must admit, the left side gets fatigued before moving on to the right. Then of course, the right side is pre-fatigued since it already has worked supporting the left. Does this make sense?

She does alot of lunges and dips, there are only 2 sets of tall box climbs (I can live with that... 16 count on the first one, 12 on the second!) She does one legged squats that REALLY target the glutes and the inner thigh.

Tracie is good at form pointers, lots of hints and a slower tempo. This makes it nice for REALLY focusing on form. If one squeezes their glutes, holds in their abdominals it is a FANTASTIC workout.

The upper body does get worked. She uses an "oof ball" (I think she uses 2 lbs.) and it almost seems like she's playing. (a welcome break if you ask me!). It gets "thrust" down to the floor and if one THRUSTS hard, it definitely can be felt. There are some push ups on the tall box, with one hand on the ball and then as you come up you take the hand off the step and cross it in front of your chest! You're balancing on the ball, while doing a one-armed push ups. (Some of us definitely modify on our knees.).

There is some pseudo plank work in this! Ok, it's not really pseudo plank work, but unlike Cathe's plank work, I can do this! ;-) She does some back exercises and it feels good. Using the ball and making it different.

There's abdominals.....also with the ball and the dowel (she calls the stick -- must have been a copyright type thing for the Firm!). It goes under the knees as you roll back and then come up to balance. Then there's tossing the ball in the air as you raise one leg... Very effective.

I am a cyclist (hey -- that has a nice ring to it, doesn't it???).... and I can't do heavy weight work for my lower body. This fits the bill perfectly for me and is just fast enough that it doesn't kill me. I know lunges and squats and dips are important, but ayayayayaya.... I'm not a huge fan of doing them. This tape makes it bearable for me. I've tried to do it 2 to 3x since getting it (per week), but have probably managed once maybe twice. Lots of room to grow and well worth it. (A NICE compliment to Cathe's videos and of course... SPINERVALS!!! -- come on... I had to throw that in!!!!)

Is there cardio in it? Two short bursts. Maybe 4 minutes or so all together. I hop on my rebounder to do them, as plyos and high impact do not agree with my legs any more! (did I mention I love my rebounder??? -- oh another thread? Ok, Back to the topic at hand)... She uses light weights and does marching in place and an in-out-in-out type jump. I was sweating throughout the tape and I'm sure my heart rate was up ... although I did not have on a heart rate monitor. If you're looking for the classic, "drip-with-sweat" type workout that you get from Cathe's cardio.... it won't happen. Does it work? For some people. Depends on your body type. I can get lots of definition by combining both Cathe and the Firm and I don't have to go too heavy! (But you know they say 70 to 75% is diet...) One must cross train, but we all know that, cuz as someone famous says, "we are an educated crowd!"... LOL....

The yoga stretches are nothing really. She does them very quickly and they just kind of stretch. The end sequence (last few minutes), I do not do.. she's sending her leg back too many times and It bugs me. I don't care for yoga (but know it's important to stretch), so I look at these as stretches and not the "yoga asanas" as they called them! ;-)

If you're looking for fantastic Cathe production quality, it's not there. Of course, I think I look at the set for MAYBE 5 minutes out of the entire 54 minute workout. So, it has no bearing for me. But for others, it plays an important roll.

Hope this helps.
I'm sure I left something out, but that gives you an idea!
Cleda

Cleda - that was a VERY thorough description of Weights First! Bravo! I also like the tape. I did it the first time with very low weights, and still felt it for three days! I'm hoping the future tapes have more upper body included.

tee-hee......

Hey Jul!

Not only is she old (thank you Kim!)

But she is long-winded too!

As Phil would sing: "Pleasssssssseeeeee... Take me Homeeeeeeeeee, cuz I don't remembah!!!"

Cleda

I just did Weights First for the first time yesterday (with very light weights just to test it out). I was very pleasantly surprised! I loved it! From everything I'd heard, I wasn't sure I would. I have a lovely soreness all through the hams and glutes today. Can't wait to try it with my regular weights!

*I'm old enough to love Phil too!

~~ Bev ~~

Remember the Land of Confusion video with the puppets? The Ronald Reagan and Madonna ones used to scare me so!!! My favorite Genesis song of all time is "That's All." But I digress... Is Cardio First out yet? I saw that it is lead by Carissa and though a lot of Firmies don't like her, I do. Just curious. Boy that Anna Benson sure does have a following.

Core First

Is the one with Carissa Foster in it.
I like her too......
And I believe it's due out the end of April???
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong....)

Cleda

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-02 AT 07:22PM (Est)[/font][p]I love this tape as well; I'd recommend it highly. I've done it about four times now, using lighter weights than many of us are used to on most of Cathe's tapes, for example, or even some of the Firms. It is quite different from Cathe's style, of course, but it's nice to mix things up once in while. The one legged squats hit me deep in the glutes (I've been using a 25 pound barbell), and the tape has a version of good-mornings that I really like--I feel it working my hamstrings even more than I feel regular dead-lifts or quarter deadlifts, which I normally do with quite a bit more than a 25-pound barbell. Form is crucial, though, to avoid injury on this move, I think. My heart rate stays up during the entire tape--not as high as in Cathe cardio tapes, but still in a good fat-burning range for me.

I think the music is extremely cool; the set is a bit busy, but the funny thing is, after doing the routine a few times I barely pay attention to it any more. In terms of intensity, it's an excellent muscle endurance tape, maybe a notch or two below Circuit Max, but still pretty darn good.:)

The Carissa Foster tape is actually called "Core First." I love planks and other core-strengthening work so I'm eager to get this one. But it's hard to imagine it'll be tougher or more thorough than some of the core work on Cathe's tapes (Power Circuit, for example).:)

This is a good lowerbody workout. My butt and hams felt it for 3 days afterwards. Not much upperbody or cardio(for me) but it's a keeper. This tape is a nice compliment to mix with Cathe.

Hi,
I tried Weights First today and I liked it very much,it's different from Cathe's but has Anna's feel to it ala Firm.

I used a 30 lb barbell for the leg presses and good mornings, for the arm work I had to use heavier poundage than Tracie's because it was too light for me, I think I'm going to have to modify to make it a little more intense by doing the push ups on my toes with the use of the ball,I can honestly say that I had a fun time doing it, I'll change some things to make it work for me. I used a 5 lb ball the Wal-Mart kind when doing abdominals, I was very careful when I tossed the ball up in the air so as not to hurt myself. Oh, one more thing since I don't have a good "oof ball" I had to make do with a basketball to let it bounce on the floor during warm up and lunges and dips segments.

I don't feel sore at all yet, maybe tomorrow, I know I gave it my all while doing it.

I'd say it's worth buying it if you are looking for something different and yet fun.

Laura.

hi 123--- what is fitprime? is weights first a video series by the firm? that is what i gather from all the posts i read but i was wondereing what the deal was. thanks for your help.

Weighted Ball?

Hi, I posted the original post and wanted to thank you all for the help! I think I will get the tape since I've heard a lot of good reviews. I would like it to have more upper-body work though.

Since some of you mentioned using weighted balls in the video, what size(s) do I need?
Where do I get them and how much are they? What does she use them for?
Do I need other equipment?

Thanks!

RE: Weighted Ball?

I am using a two-pound ooof-ball (bought it several years ago with the Blast Set). You can find it at the FitPrime store. The balls are rather expensive but they bounce. With Weights First you use the ball for the warm-up, ab-work and to play with it (bouncing it on the floor - but not everyone is doing that. It's too hard on the house). Tracie used a two-pound ball, Carrissa will use a three-pound ball and , I bet, the third tape will use the four-pound ball.

You also need a tall box, barbell and dumbells and a stick.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.