fitness programs

lizzyc

Cathlete
I am looking for an overall new fitness lifestyle. Besides exercising I want to get into a program to follow. I keep reading about Body for Life, but I went on their webpage and was sort of confused. I would love any feedback about fitness programs.
Thank you,
Lizzy

try buying the book body for life. it truly is sound nutrition advice. he is kinda fanatical {?sp}, but very sensible in exercise and nutrition principles. i dont follow "the program" but incorporate his advice...realistic and if you want to modify, you can! very healthy,any MD or RD would agree...at least the MD's i work for do.

Yeah, you really need to get the book.Alot of it you don't need to read though.I think most of the book(the not so important parts) are made to get you focused and motivated.I have been meaning to read it again but I can never find the time.I liked the program b/c it gave you a cheat day, it was my safety net.I knew I didn't have to go the rest of my life without something I love.I got to have it on saturday.
I also picked up the South Beach Diet book, forgetting that it was low carb.I am not into low carb at all.I paid $40 for the book and only read about 1/3 of it.I didn't think it was as well written as BFL.There was alot of success stories in the book (they all sounded the same) but there wasn't any pitcures to go along with it.I thought that was a bit strange.If you see pitcures it kind of makes you beleive the diet a bit more.
People must be tired of reading about me and BFL b/c I always post when asked anything about it.:eek: I would love to try it again but I can't find the motivation.I know I was hungry the first week whenI was on the diet but I was so motivated.I don't think I could make it 6 days without anything sweet.I was actually thinking about reading the book (the important parts) this weekend and then stating it sunday.HOPEFULLY,continuing it until christmas.That would be 12 weeks.
We will see.Whatever you decide, good luck!
Lori

How about Slim in 6 by Beachbody.com. I really like their Slim Series and have heard about and seen on their websites what their program will help you look like when you are done in 6 weeks. Just a thought. ;-)

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif[/img]

Hi Lizzy! I was on BodyRX for a year and a half; derived a great deal of knowledge from Dr. Connelly & did lose 9" overall but realized that I was taking in too many calories for my small body frame & was stuck in a plateau. I've since gone onto Leanness Lifestyle. Go onto Dave Greenwalt's website leannesslifestyle.com; you can purchase the book there if you want. The latest edition, however, is the best; its very comprehensive; there's a lot of information to digest but I've gotten leaner since I've started this program. There's also physiquetransformation.com. This will cost you $7.95 a month if you choose to join. You take a week's trial at first & you get feedback from them after the week is up explaining to you where you went wrong & how to correct it. Shari on this forum can explain & help you more w/this if she hasn't already. I haven't read any of the other posts on here. There's also South Beach diet; it was rated in one of the FitnessRX magazines. You can maybe find out what issue of the mag it was in by going onto their website fitnessrx.com. Or you can also do a search on here for numerous books to check out at the library. HTH, Kathy:D

I bought this book and the first 3 days on this diet. I lost 3 lbs.
He suggest you do not eat bread, but if you must, make it whole grain. Well I do love bread, but I thought I would give it a try. I did not miss the bread that much, and I think that I have found the reason that I have such a hard time losing weight, its the bread.
Starting in Oct. I am going to start the 12 week challenge and I hope by the end of the year, that I will drop 20 lbs. I am going to modify it some, because I want to use CATHE WORKOUTS, but I am going to use his diet plan. But I really think this plan is going to work for me. I need to lose 33 more lbs.

Pat

Bill Phillips

There's an article on Bill Phillips in this month's Outside magazine that you BFL fans might find interesting. It's not a puff piece, it gets into his steroid past. I hadn't realized he also hit big with the Creatine craze a few years ago.

Phillips looks have changed since the BFL cover. Hair is much lighter with highlights (really). Maybe because the photos are full body, but his

Someone above mentioned the pictures in BFL. That was Phillips idea.

Debra

RE: Bill Phillips

Hi Edith! Thank you soooo much for posting this website. I checked it out & printed all of the quick & easy recipes they have; it gave me a lot more suggestions for lunch which was getting stale. Again, thanks. Best, Kathy:*

RE: Bill Phillips

Edith, this is a wonderful website! Thank you!!! I am printing EVERYTHING!

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif[/img]

Leanness Lifestyler

I'm also a Leanness Lifestyler. I've lost 23 lbs. since 11/02 and have decreased my bodyfat to about 15%. I can't say enough about this program, it's wonderful. :) I did Cathe's workouts and running for my cardio...and the Leanness Lifestyle weight program (periodization) + eating plan to lose the extra weight. Here's some pics:

http://www.PictureTrail.com/uid940253&pathID=334267

Kathy G

P.S. Kathy H...how long have you been a Leanness Lifestyler? :)

RE: Leanness Lifestyler

super pictures...you look so fit and young...can you give me the isbn # of the book to see if i can get leanness lifestyle at borders vs ordering from his website.

BFL Idea

Hi Lizzy,
May I suggest getting the Body For Life Audio Tape? That is how I got into doing this program, the audios are only 2 hours total and you get added bonus of hearing Bill talk about the systme, which I found very motivational. Also, his champions tell some of their stories which helps get you motivated. I knew I would never read the entire book, but any commute I had in the car, I could spend listening and being motivated. If you don't like to read the technical stuff in a diet/lifestyle book, I really think audiobooks are the way to go. (Also, think I paid $12.00 and the book is $25.00 or more.) Once you know the system, you can download the training and nutrition info from the website for free!!

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

RE: Kathey G.

Kathy,
I just got my Leannes Lifestyle book the other day and it is a lot to digest. I am going to read the book to get down the eating portion, and will try to get started within a week. It seems a little overwelming to me now.

Terri

:)

Johanna,
The book is only available through the website: www.leannesslifestyle.com. :)

Terri,
Wonderful! Now don't let it overwhelm you. There's tons of info in there, I know. I read the nutritional and exercise sections first to get started...then read the other sections as I went along. Are you also a member on the site with access to the online tools? If you are, USE them...they'll make everything so much easier. :) Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Kathy G

Kathy,
No, I am not a member. However I did use some of the tools to figure out how many calories I am supposed to eat and also my BMI. Boy, that was depressing:)

How long did it take you to see progress? I must say your pictures look great, you can definetly see a change. I will be glad when I get to that point. This looks like a lifestyle that I can live with.

Terri

Terri,
I did two action phases. The first was from 11/15/02 - 2/19/03 and I went from 141 lbs. to 127 lbs. The second was from 4/22/03 - 6/17/03 and I went from 128 lbs. to 114 lbs. (I'm about 5'5")

I saw definite changes in each phase. I think taking a two month maintenance break between the two helped me. It gave me a chance to relax and prepare for the next phase. I'm about 118-119 lbs. now but going back to my maintenance weight of 117 lbs. I "bulked up" for a bit to try to put some more muscle on.

It only took me a month to see visible results and have my clothes get looser on me. Good luck! Let me know how things are going for you, I'd love to hear from you. :)

Kathy

RE: Leanness Lifestyler

Hi Kathy! You look GREAT!!! The professional pictures are beautiful; I especially like the one where your jumping in the air w/your arm raised. I still haven't finished reading the book there's so much to get through. I've only been on the program for 3 weeks. However, I did manage to calculate my caloric intake for 7 days & I've been trying to adhere to it every day + doing Cathe's rotation for Sept. The rotation really kicked it up a notch for me & saw my bodyfat decrease. I was concerned of losing muscle due to the calories being so low but I put my faith in Dave Greenwalt & forged ahead & did it. I'm glad now that I did. Are there any pointers that I need to know? Best, Kathy:D

Kathy,

Your results sound great. If you don't mind I will e-mail you or I will post over at the open dicussion forum. I am excited to start the program.

Terri:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.