Fitness Level - definitions

jdimascio

Cathlete
I was just curious, what is everyone's definition of certain fitness levels. When someone asks you what fitness level you are, what determines your answer? What are the specifications of a beginner, intermediate or advanced exerciser? I think definitions might be different for some people and since we always ask certain questions based on our levels, I sometimes wonder where I fall. Also, some people may be heavy lifters but weak in the cardio endurance factor...so, do you classify both differently? Thoughts?

Hi Jenn :)

hmmm... i guess in my mind there would be 2 seperate catagories: endurance and ability. If we are talking endurance I think of it along the lines of- how well can you keep up regardless of the type of activity and how long does it take your heart rate to come back down once you've done a strenuos activity. so:

You're advanced endurance wise if you try something new and even though you are a "beginner" at the activity you can still put a galiant effort in and keep up.

You're advanced ability wise if you can kick serious butt at one specific activity, but can't keep up in another to save your life. Does that make sense?

So picture you and I at Zumba- advanced endurance wise... right... but we looked like idiots so we were clearly beginner zumba ability wise! lol!

Hi Jenn :)

hmmm... i guess in my mind there would be 2 seperate catagories: endurance and ability. If we are talking endurance I think of it along the lines of- how well can you keep up regardless of the type of activity and how long does it take your heart rate to come back down once you've done a strenuos activity. so:

You're advanced endurance wise if you try something new and even though you are a "beginner" at the activity you can still put a galiant effort in and keep up.

You're advanced ability wise if you can kick serious butt at one specific activity, but can't keep up in another to save your life. Does that make sense?

OK, I like your interpretation. I feel like I am advanced, but after going to Cathe's live Boot Camp class and working out alongside Jai, I questioned it.

The health related components of fitness can be measured for; cardio endurance, muscular flexibility, muscular strength and endurance, and body composition.

The fitness related components are; agility, coordination, speed, balance, reaction time, and power.

There are many ways each can be measured.....most people just measure the components they are the strongest in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.