First barbell purchase - have MIS/PH DVD

Hello!

I am new to Cathe and am trying to choose my first barbell. I have MIS/PH and I've pre-ordered all 3 new DVDs. My current strength level is beginner, but I want to purchase something that will last me awhile.

I like the Troy Lite system, but I want to make sure I order appropriate weight plates. The package comes with four 2.5's, two 5's and two 7.5's. Should I get this set, or should I just order it separately with two 2.5's? There's a price break on the package deal, but I hate to have extra 2.5s lying around that I don't really need (I have severe space limitations in my workout area).

Should I also order two 1.25s and two 10s?

Thanks for your help!

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Not Cathe here, but I do have the Troy Lite system and thought I would tell you what I think of it ... I love it. The plates aren't that large so I don't think storage should be too much of an issue. I have the Troy Lite System plus one pair of 1.25 lb plates. I think you might be able to hold off on the 10 lb plates for awhile until your strength builds, since you are a beginner. You will eventually want them, though. It's amazing how quickly you can build strength, so you might want to go ahead and order them now if it somehow saves on shipping. You won't regret having the extra 2.5's or 1.25's for when you are trying to increase your strength sometimes you need to start off with something light and build up to a heavier weight.

You really can't go wrong with this system.
HTH and hope I didn't confuse you. :D

Susan

Hi Nicole:
I would also recommend holding off on the 10 lb weights until you are ready. You could get always get them later on.
Can I ask where are you planning on ordering the Troy Lite System from? I don't have it yet and want to purchase it also.
Thanks.
Erin

Hi Nicole and welcome! I too have the Troy Lite set and love it. I think Susan's absolutely right, the set of plates that comes with it (which will give you a bar totalling 40 lbs) will be plenty to keep you challenged for a while.

If you do decide to add more plates, I agree with you (and Susan) that a nice add-on would be the 1.25's (especially useful for moving up in small increments for smaller muscle groups like shoulders and triceps). Those would be the only ones I'd think about adding to your set immediately. Then if you're going to buy two 10's, I suggest you consider buying four more 5's instead. The end caps of the bar will accommodate a pretty fair number of plates, and having four more 5's would just give you a little more flexibility in adding weight, up to and including adding an additional 20 lbs like the two 10's would do.

Just my two cents' worth -- Hope it's helpful! :)

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

Nicole & Erin, this is the same site I ordered my Troy Lite workout system and had great service! I LOVE my Troy Lite and I have two other barbell brands. This is my favorite. Just the right size and feel. Once you get your first barbell, you will feel sooo professional! :7 Have fun!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I absolutely LOVE my Troy Lite. It's the best fitness-related purchase I have ever made...not including, of course, my Cathe collection! I bought the system, too, and have found that the 40 pound total has been fine. I'm just now thinking about getting the 10 pound plates (or more 5's, as Kathy suggested.)

You won't be sorry!!!

Thanks so much everyone for your responses!

I ordered my Troy Lite this evening. I got the 40lb set and one pair of 1.25 plates. I can't wait to get it!

The suggestions to wait until later to get more weights and to consider getting 5's instead of the 10's were especially helpful.

It was also great to see everyone's positive feedback on this system. It made me feel very good about my investment. :)

Hi everyone :)

I have The FIRM barbell and also the BodyPump set. How does the Troy Lite system compare to these? Thanks in advance!

~kandy~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.