First 10K - any advice?

My info: I haven't done too much running - was doing alot of TM work during the fall and winter (15 - 20 mi/wk) but have cut back (to about 10 mi/wk) since my focus has been on weights lately. (Started NROLW in April but have taken 2 weeks off in between stages). Was using the TM in between and have done a half dozen road/trail runs this past month and a half. Ran the race trail pretty closely this past two weekends to get comfortable with the hills.

I am hoping some of you race running veterans can give me some tips, hints and/or advice on how to have a good first race.

Workouts the week prior? Nutrition plan (additional carbs, protein, etc.)? What to do that morning - the race begins around 8 AM? Do you use music for the race?

Anything else you can think of will be greatly appreciated.

TIA !:+

Yeah, Jacques! You're doing a 10k. Which one? I'm doing the Wharf to Wharf end of July. I'm sure you'll do fine. It's not a long enough distance to worry about nutrition while you're running. Just water. And I'm sure you have a system for that with your trail runs, etc.

As for nutrition before the run - just eat clean and well. Try to avoid sugar - all of the standard clean eating advice - you'll feel light and good before the race. The morning of? Some people can eat, others cannot. I eat a Larabar or something similar. That's all I can handle or I'll be miserable running.

I don't use music usually, because there is so much going on that I want to pay attention. And some races prohibit the use of headphones. But I know a lot of people who do. If music makes you move, by all means, do so.

Oh yeah - and above all - HAVE FUN!!!

Hi Jacque,

I'm not exactly an expert on running. I've been running since last October and have run in 7 races (5-5K's, a 10K and 8K). Leading up to the 10K race, I was probably running 3 days a week, usually 4 or 5 miles each time. Since I lived in the town where the race was being held, I ran the most hilly part of the course which occured around miles 5 and 6. The week before the race I ran only twice. The race was on Saturday so the last workout I did was an upper body weight workout on Thursday night.

I got up at 6am and ate my regular weekend breakfast of 2 kashi waffles and some chicken sausage, juice and water. I have to eat in the morning, otherwise I have no energy and am usually starving.

I never listen to music while running a race. I like to be present and in the moment and enjoy the experience. I had a great 10K race. Since it was my first 10K, I had no expectations on time and enjoyed myself.

Have fun and report back and let us know how you did.

Jacque,

In addition to these great suggestions, I would say to be sure to pace yourself. Start out slower than you'll want to. In other words, don't get caught up in the race excitement and go out too hard, too soon. Conserve some of your energy for the second half of the race.

Although I train with my iPod, when I race (which is rare these days), I leave it at home. Don't want to violate race rules, but more than that, it really is more fun to be in the moment.

Have fun & good luck! We'll look forward to your race report. :)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/SnowBunny_tns-1.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

Thanks for the tips ladies.

Christine - I will be doing the "Run for the Stinkin' Rose" which is a Garlic Festival kickoff run and car show later in the day downtown.
I can run the actual race route so it is nice to have my first be a local run. Have a coworker running the Wharf to Wharf but that is a busy weekend for me: Garlic festival volunteer and my grandson's first birthday party too. Otherwise I would have been tempted. Good luck with your ride next week !

An added benefit is the local running club hosts it and half the proceeds go to the SPCA.

I have perused the Runner's World articles in the past - will go back there to review. Thanks !

Have fun and good luck!! I agree w/ pacing yourself, don't start out too fast (it's easy to take off and just follow the crowd!).

I like my oatmeal w/ protein powder about 1 1/2- 2 hrs pre-race. Or a whole grain bagel or banana. It's all up to what your body can tolerate, so try eating before running so you know what works for you.

Most races won't let you run w/ tunes so check it out first! I love races, just people-watching and talking to people along the way! ;-)

In addition to the other advice you've been given, I'd make sure to eat sufficient carbs the day before the race (so your glycogen stores are up), including a high-carb final meal of the day (with pasta, for example).

Time your preparation so you don't run the day before the race. If you visit some of the race prep sites that others have linked to, you'll probably notice that training tapers off the week before a race. Your peak workout (longest mileage) should be at least a week before the competition, and I suggest longer than the actual race.

You might be tempted use your IPOD during the race, but I recommend not to, even if it's allowed, except perhaps to set your pace (hold you back a little) at the beginning. In my first and only competitive walk, I found that the pace of the music on my MP3 was actually holding me back at times when I didn't want it to (but I find it very hard to not go with the beat of music when I play it).

Good luck! And have fun.

Hey there! I've done a couple 10Ks & 10 mile run (lots of 5Ks). My 1st 10K I did while 10 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby! Anyhoo, I cannot eat at all prior to the races---but I do slam a Mountain Dew to get some extra caffeine energy. I don't eat b/c it causes me to want to have a bowel movement right before the race with all excitment and all--maybe TMI!?!?!

I've always trained pushing a double jogging stroller & the kids cannot be out too long without maybe freaking out---so I never ran for more than an hour---so 7 miles max when training. I would run 3-5 days per week, mostly 5 miles & a couple of 7-8 mile runs.

During the race itself, I usually run a little faster at beginning of race, then slow down and pace myself for meat of race, beginning about 1/8 mile before finish line I give it all I have left.

I use music, b/c it makes me move lots faster. Boston Marathon & Grandma's won't let you anymore, but I don't run big town races, and they don't care.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Have fun. :)

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

Thanks to all of you for your tips and advice.

I see many suggesting the same things which is what I was looking for since I haven't even been to a race to observe.

I have played a bit with the food and water and monitored my belly grumbles so think that will help.

After all, it is only 6+ miles and just over an hour race.

Appreciate your help !

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.