finding a hair stylist

mom418

Cathlete
the thread about hair appt. got me thinking....how do you find your hair stylist/salon?

i guess the first suggestion is to ask my friends. i don't have alot of friends, really any in real life. my in laws are mostly in st.louis. way too much of a drive for an appt. prob. 30 or more one way. depending on where it is.

so do you just pick a place in the phone book? it would be great to find an independent beauty shop/salon. i don't need anything special. maybe some color someday.

i've thought about going to a beauty school. it's not too far. hair cuts start at $5. any experiences with this? they have facials, nails, and massages too.

When I see someone who has a cut I really like, I ask them where they go. I have found a couple great people this way. Melissa

I've had a hard time finding a styliist I like. I finally did, but she moved away this summer and didn't give me a head's up!

I've discovered one thing NOT to do: do NOT take "anyone" at a salon, even if you've had good luck with a previous stylist there (I did that, and ended up having the new owner redo both my cut and color---though she couldn't do much with way-too-short bangs that have finally grown out. Also, the 'new girl' was very annoying in her chit chat, asking me, as her second or third question "are you married, or what?" Huh? what's with the personal questions?).

I'd recommend asking someone who has a hairstyle you like (and similar type hair) where they get theirs done, that's how I found my favorite stylist to begin with (actually, my second-favorite stylist, as my very favorite was a woman in Paris whose salon I just walked into...and whose salon was walk-ins only. She was the first person ever to tell me that wavy hair should be cut dry, never wet, and to give me the most wonderful cut and golden rinse. I found my second stylist by asking around for people who cut wavy hair dry.)

Get a specific name, or ask for the owner of the salon (otherwise, salons may try to set up an appointment with the 'newbie' who lacks experience and talent).

i've thought about going to a beauty school. it's not too far. hair cuts start at $5. any experiences with this?
Yikes!
I'd only do that if I needed the very basic trim.

(Unless is was something like a school supervised by some big-wig hair stylist, perhaps).

When I was in beauty school, I felt sorry for the people who came in there. My first haircut was pretty bad (the teacher had to fix it). Then someone brought lice in and that really freaked me out.

Last edited:
the cut i'm thinking of is basic layers. my hair is wavy too, but once it's brushed almost all the curl is gone. i've alctually cut it myself this way, so it isn't that complicated. i think it would be easy to fix if needed. i'm not even asking for bangs. just layers in the med. length hair.
i'm planning to bring a picture of myself when i've had this cut in the past. i think that will help alot.

most of my family in the area is african american. so i don't have similar hair to any of them. and most of the time i don't go anywhere.

Last edited:
I was behind this lady at the grocery store and she had hair like mine - baby fine! I told her that I loved her hair and she gave me a card for the salon and told me the name of the girl that cut hers!

I found my stylist by asking someone whose hair I liked where she got hers done. I really love my stylist and would be heartbroken to lose her. I've started carrying her cards with my because people always ask me where I get my hair done. I give my stylist all the credit because I don't have naturally "good" hair but my stylist does a wonderful job with what I have.

I have also found stylists by asking friends and even people who I see with a haircut I like. But I've learned the hard way that the person's hair has to be similar to mine (very fine and limp:confused:). It is also helpful to take a picture for the stylist. I have also gone online to read reviews of the different stylists (if they offer this). I'm very picky!:p

I agree with all of the above, go by referral, by a hairstyle you like. You may still have to go through a few until you find the one that's right. I have gone through many salons, I'll find someone that does my hair right and then all of the sudden they leave and the search is on again.

I also agree that showing a picture is very helpful :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.