Financial Stability? OT

Cruncholi

Cathlete
Educated Crowd:
I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is financially stable and how they did it. By this I mean, no credit card debt, have some savings for the future, and not always living from paycheck to paycheck, etc. Also, how to control a spendthrift. Is anyone willing to share their tips/secrets to achieving this?

Money.Its a wonderful thing isn't it?
I can't say I don't have bills b/c I do.But there was a time when I was majorly stressed out about money and I thought about selling my car to make my payments.I just wasn't making enough money to pay my end of the bills.I have my bills and DH had his.Its not the way we planned it but I always had my own bills before we got married and kept paying certain bills.
I found a new job and work both part-time.Then we took a trip to the bank.We took out a loan to pay off some stuff and we were still left with money on the side.I also got out of wasting money.I could buy 3 coffee a day and the same with DH...thats $10 a day in coffee!
I don't buy near as much clothes as I use to.I just went into the city on Saturday and spent about 350 in clothes:eek: BUT $300 of that was B-day money people had given me. I felt bad when I think about the money I spent and I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't charging anything and it was my money! All bills were paid, I didn't need to feel bad.
We also wrote down all of our bills on paper, then our income and then you see how much you are left over with.Its also a good idea to write down your bills,smallest to biggest and focus on paying one off at a time.You will see a difference in a year.
DH keeps reminding me off how well we are doing.The problem with us is that all of our friends come from money.They have parents buying their houses for them ,buying land to build houses on,or paying their car payments.
We are 26 and 29, have our own home,have a new car,new 4 door truck, have our savings plan for the future set up and if I want something at the mall I can go buy it(within reason) and we don't live paycheck to paycheck anymore.All bills are being paid, no one does without.So we are doing o.k.
Good Luck,
Lori:)

My husband and I are in the best financial position we have ever been in. We have no credit card debt and a very nice savings built up, money in our childrens college account. We don't have wealthy family members so we did this on our own.

I think its important to write everything down and see where your money is going- you will be amazed at how much you you could be saving if you could eliminate these.- ie, coffee drinks, fast food etc.....

Also, I buy my cars used (my husband does not!)I am still driving my 1996 Mazda Protege- I bought it used when it was a year old and had 13,000 miles. It is paid off now and has had very few repairs over the time I have owned it. Its been a great car for me.

Try to get rid of the Credit card debt. I know its hard but if you can't pay CASH for it than you don't need it. Credit card debt is so hard to dig yourself out of once you have a balance. I found that out when I was single. I had a 5000.00 credit card debt which I was paying 250.00 a month and not making a dent in the balance. My grandfather was nice enough to give me a VERY LOW interest loan to pay off my credit card debt
Once I paid my grandfather back I promised myself I would never use credit cards again- and I haven't.

For clothing- try consignment shops. you can find some very nice clothing there at very reasonable prices. If you need to wear suits to work this is a great place to find a really nice suit.

Good luck to you

DH and I are financially stable; we have no credit card debt, we're paid up two years ahead on our mortgage (with additional principal payments with each payment as well), we're about 8 months ahead on our one car payment, and are able to make monthly purchases into our mutual fund accounts as well as our individual employer-provided accounts. DH and I are on the same page financially: we neither of us spend any money lightly, and talk to each other about all but the most inconsequential purchases.

Biggies for us include: we don't have cell phones, cable TV or second car payments. It seems like every new cultural innovation has a monthly bill attached, and we both say screw that. DH was always one to pay off the credit cards each month, and although I never went hog wild with credit cards he had to educate me to do the same thing. If we can't pay for it by the end of the month we don't get it.

For a financially stable life, you have to pay yourself in terms of a regular savings contribution, AND make sure all of the majors (house, utilities, food) are taken care of before ancillary purchases. It takes discipline because there are always enticements. How to control a spendthrift? I have no idea.

A=Jock

Difficult issue - my husband and I have struggled since we were married with debt, debt, debt! We're finally getting on track. Our two old cars are paid off - we plan to drive them till they die! We don't use credit cards, we only have them for emergencies (running out of gas on a deserted highway with no cash or debit cards..etc.) We shop for our kids clothes at second hand stores and keep our own spending on clothes to a minimum. I get many second hand clothes from friends who've gained weight ( I still need to take them in, but its cheaper than buying new.)

We finally got around to writing things down and agreeing to discussing major purchases, over 100 dollars! Its difficult because I'd like more workout videos but can't necessarily buy them - so I try to swap or buy second hand through ebay. Every penny (OK dime) is accounted for. Live frugally! My mother in law is a testament to living life frugally - she re-uses margarine tubs, yogurt tubs, all grocery bags, milk bags, elastics, twist ties etc. When I first met her I thought it was kinda weird, but now I know why she and her husband own their own home, a cottage and many other things. Her husband was a car mechanic, never made a lot of money - but they have things many people would die for, all because she's frugal!

One important tip that I tell all my clients is: MAXIMIZE YOUR 401(K) if at all possible. It is the best way to make your dollars grow and ensure a secure retirement. If you can't maximize it, at least contribute to some extent, and ALWAYS contribute at least as much as your company matches. Matching is free money! Contributing to your 401(k) is more important than any outfit or other discretionary purchase you can make.

My clients may be tired of hearing this lecture, but I never get tired of repeating it! }(

-Nancy

Linda,

My husband and I are also financially stable. Some of the things that we do:
-Buy our clothes, shoes at Ross, Marshall's, TG Maxx or Target. I'm always complimented on the way I dress and people want to know where I've purchased the items...and I don't mind telling them.
-Home decorating items also bought at the stores just mentioned or Kirklands in the mall (very reasonable). Same thing...many compliments.
-I don't shop at the most expensive food chain in my area either, I go mid-range.
-Bought my car used, about four years old from my best friend's husband (he was extremely anal about the car so I knew I was getting a real bargain) and, I will never buy a brand new car again. Also, I keep my cars until they are spent. DH does the same thing. He owns a 1991 BMW car and a 1986 BMW mortorcycle. Both run great. If he is able, he will replace any worn parts himself. He also does both of our oil changes. AND....believe it or not, we both hand wash and wax our vehicles. For some reason, people I know find that unthinkable because of all the automatic car washes in our area. We figure, we're saving money and getting some exercise at the same time.
-We make double payments on our mortgage. Combined, we make enough money to purchase twice the house we own....like most of our friends, but I plan on retiring in 6 years and our house will be paid off.
-We very rarely eat out at expensive restaurants. Only on very special occasions.
-We tend to fix things around our house that we can, instead of buying new things.
-I bank at our company credit union instead of a bank. I know I'm saving a ton of money there.
-When I get my yearly raise, instead of spending that money, I put that additional amount in my 401K savings plan each week.
-Oh, and I think this one is a real biggee. I have only ONE credit card. I try to pay it off each month. I think real trouble begins when people keep getting additional credit cards.
-We own a cell phone, but only one that we share.
-We have a computer at home but we do not pay for high speed internet.
-We do not pay for cable....we opted to go with satellite T.V. because it was less than half the price of cable.
-I only pay $15 to get my hair styled instead of the $30-$40 my friends pay.
-We adopted our mixed breed dogs instead of paying top dollar for pedigrees.
-We also clip coupons every week from the Sunday paper. We figure it makes the newspaper pay for itself.
-I purchase my books and exercise videos on Ebay.

Some of our friends cannot believe the things we do. Luckily, we both have the same philosophy about NOT wasting money. All the little things I've listed add up to big savings for us.

Hi Cruncholi,

Financial security can be achieved, but it does involve some discipline. You don’t have to live like a miser, but you may need to scale back on some purchases. I’m fortunate in that DH and I both absolutely hate being in debt, and we both have very similar attitudes about what we’ll spend good money on. We never pay full price for something unless there’s a really, really good reason to.

My personal philosophy is to not carry a total debt load any bigger than what I could safely manage on half of my current salary. So if something did happen with my job, we could get by without too much stress. Since DH runs his own business, we keep our finances separate, and I take care most of the monthly household expenses.

I use my credit card for a lot of my monthly purchases (I get frequent flyer miles with it), but it gets paid off in full every month. I’m also very aware of what I can easily afford every month and purchase accordingly.

As for vehicles, I’m in a pretty good situation. DH owns an auto-body repair shop, so I can have my pick of any car in the salvage yard. I pay cash for a wreck and he fixes it. The sale of what I’m currently driving usually pays for most parts and materials – I pay him for whatever doesn’t get covered. And well…we take the labor out in trade.}( }( }(

Here would be my tips for getting out of credit card debt and building some savings:
1. If credit card debt seems to be the bulk of your problem, my answer would be to stop using it completely until it’s paid off. If you don’t have the cash, don’t buy it.
2. Avoid extraneous monthly expenses. Everybody offers a something for a “low monthly payment” nowadays. These things will drain you if they get out hand.
3. Use direct deposit. If your employer provides direct deposit, use it. For every paycheck, I have a budgeted amount that goes into my checking account for monthly expenses, another amount that goes into savings, and another amount that goes into an account for annual expenses like property taxes, car/house insurance, fuel oil, etc. I’ve used a system like this since I was 18, and it’s made my financial life so much easier.

I’d also recommend checking out Clark Howard’s web site. He’s a consumer advocate and has a national radio show. A major topic is usually getting people out of debt. The URL is www.clarkhoward.com

Hmmm…a shock collar might work for the spendthrift. }( }(

Good luck!! You can do it!!

I think everyone has their priorities: things they consider to be negotiable or non-negotiable. For me, when I was struggling (for many years) vacations were low on my priority list. I was happy staying home and working out at the gym instead of traveling. The gym was non-negotiable. I had good hair, so I got $10 haircuts, but I bought more expensive food items. I tried to only use my credit card for big ticket items, like dental work.

I suggest making a list of things you spend on and prioritize. Get rid of the items on the bottom of the list until your credit card debt is paid off. One of the biggest mistakes I see people making is buying expensive holiday gifts. The people who matter in your life won't judge you on the size of the gifts. In fact, they will respect you for wanting to be in control of your life. Buy small, meaningful gifts if you must buy gifts. Better yet, bake cookies!

Lots of luck!

I agree with you Nancy, holiday shopping really puts some people in a bind. For the past 15 years I've saved money in a yearly Christmas Club savings account where money is taken out of my check each week. It is so nice to have a little nest egg at Christmas time. And then we don't go overboard. I like to give practical gifts, especially to my daughter and her family.

In addition to Gayle's exceedingly sound advice, I'd like to recommend avoiding like the plague using your house as a means to secure extra money such as home equity lines of credit, second mortgages, cash-out refinances, etc. Many people tap into their equity in their residences as a means to pay off outstanding consumer debt and credit cards by taking on more debt on the house; they make no effort to curb the spending that got them into debt in the first place, and then they've got yet another debt - this time the HELOC, the 2nd or the refi.

Get one mortgage and stick with it. Don't go refi-crazy just because rates go down an eighth of a point. And don't use your house as a never-ending piggy-bank.

A-Jock

If you can't afford it...don't buy it...no credit except for Cathe preorders!}( We have a credit card which we use to purchase airplane tickets and big stuff, but we pay it off and if that means we go without some extra stuff for a while so be it. I have an Old Navy card which I used yesterday to get 20% off but when that bill comes in the ENTIRE bill will be paid. If we know we won't have the money to pay it off we don't use the credit card. Now, we don't have a lot of extra right now b/c my husband is in school full time so we are anticipating that things will get pretty tight this year and we don't have a as much in savings(emergency) as we would like. We payed off both our cars as soon as possible...again....we have not gone on vacation since our honeymoon to do some of this stuff. When he was not in school we sometimes made double payments on the house or a payment and a half b/c that is a huge factor...that is like saving for retirement. It is not always fun but it teaches you to look for the fun in everday life. To me paying for an entire vacation on credit that we know we can't afford is not fun b/c then we would just have to come back to the reality of payments we can't afford. My husband has read some great books. I will ask him the names of the books and pass them on to you. The biggest thing is get rid of your credit cards if they are a temptation to you and don't purchase what you can't afford!:7
P.S. When my husband gradutates and he gets a job...we will be planning and saving for a nice vacation! I will probably teach summer school next summer to help us towards this endeavor!:7

I second A- Jock's sound advice about not taking equity out of your home. some banks here in Canada try to get you to use the equity and even promote it by giving you cheques - their ads even say - you can use the cheques to pay off your credit cards, take a vacation or buy a new sound system! ITS EVIL I say!

Thanks for posting this, Linda!

I'm 22 and have some credit card debt and manage my money okay, but I know that in a few years, I'll probably be getting a "real" job and moving out and will have way more important expenses aside from cosmetics, groceries, and Cathe DVDs lol. I'm definitely saving this topic. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

I'll third A-Jock's recommendation.

Something twisted has manifested itself in our society that promotes the idea that it's perfectly acceptable (maybe even encouraged) to live to very edges of or completely outside of one's means. You're right Lynne, it's TOTALLY EVIL!!! In the end, we'll all end up paying for it. x( x( x(

During the late '80's, I worked as a machinist for a large company. In this region, this company was one of the better paying employers for manufacturing jobs. The credit union for this company promoted all kinds of "great" loans deals - loans for vacations, loans for Xmas shopping, loans to buy boats and ATV's, loans just for hell of it! They even encouraged borrowing money against your 401k for stupid short-term stuff.

In 1991, the plant announced major layoffs. A lot of my co-workers had put themselves in some really bad financial situations. I saw a lot of desperate people during that time. It was very sad.

I'm grateful that my Dad harped on me about saving money since I was 11. It's made all the difference.

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires..."

My husband and I were in dire financial straits three years ago due to a major shift in his business fortunes, and we are debt-free and saving money now.

Our main tool was setting a budget. Everyone tells you "figure out how much you spend each month" but not a lot of people do. We wrote down all our monthly expenses - mortgage, credit cards, utilities, commuting, food, restaurants, dry cleaning, Netflix, newspaper delivery, EVERYTHING - to see where the money was going. We eliminated the unnecessary expenses, added in a savings amount, and juggled the numbers until our income and outgo were the same. Every dollar is accounted for - not in a compulsive "you're $2 over on dry cleaning" way, but we know that we spend $100 per month on commuting, and if that goes up $40 we'll need to cut that $40 from somewhere else.

In our first budget, the amount designated as "savings" was used to pay down the principal on our credit card bills, highest interest rate first. Every time we got unexpected money - work bonus, birthday or Christmas gift - most of it went to the credit card bills. Once those were paid off, the "savings" amount went into savings - mutual fund or 401k. My husband has just hit his social security withholding allowance for the year, so his paycheck has gone up. Instead of frittering away that money, we've earmarked some of it for saving.

We also refinanced both our primary mortgage and home equity line when interest rates came down enough to make it worthwhile. If you've been a good customer, often the lenders will waive or eliminate your closing fees. Our home equity refi was done at no cost to us. We are paying the mortgage on schedule because the tax credit on interest is beneficial; we are carrying a zero balance on home equity and will use this account only for emergencies.

We have enough of a cushion now that we can indulge - can anyone say "Hardcore pre-order"? - but we do keep track of what we spend every month.

Allison

We are what I would call financially stable as well. We don't have any credit card debt, but I am a big credit card user. That strategy goes against most of the good advise here. My husband and I both have our individual cards, and a card for joint purchases. The joint card is a frequent flyer card and I use it for EVERYTHING I can. We bought 4 plane tickets this summer using those miles, and it cost us a total of 40 $ for taxes. We have auto pay on the credit cards, and they are paid off every month.

My personal card is also a rewards card, and I put everything possible on it and get cash back. I also have direct auto pay set up with the bank. I never wanted to pay another late fee (!), and I have never paid any interest.

We have our kids college money come right off the top, we never even knew it was there. Anytime our bank account savings gets flush, I srtip it off to invest in some safe investment (ultra safe - like a bank CD or something like that).

We drive our cars into the ground too. Most of my friends and family update their vehicle every few years. I'm ALWAYS looking to save any dimes I can. We hardly ever eat out. I shop and sell on eBay a LOT. Basically I'm cheap, always looking to save oir make any dime I can. We don't feel deprived at all, I guess we have simple tastes.

I recently inherited a small amount of money... dreaming about what I could buy with some extra money. I preordered Cathe's new set... and that was it. I couldn't even bring myself to spend it on the things I had dreamed up. I invested it instead.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a ramble.

Gina,
At your age, even a small contribution to a 401(k) can make a big difference when you reach retirement! Don't do what I did and put off saving for retirement until your late thirties. The younger you are, the more each dollar can grow before you reach retirement. Start contributing as soon as you can! You will thank me some day.

-Late Bloomer Nancy

Linda,
If you need to take a tougher stance on your finances than following the good advice you've gotten already, you might want to check out books by Suze Orman (the library may have them). She gives lots of good advice on becoming financially stable.

Also, if you are worried about credit card debt, and it is more serious, you might want to talk to a credit counseling service. I did this several years ago, because I'd gotten a bit too generous with my credit card spending. They help consolidate your credit card debts, get you lower interest rates to pay back (or get the interest waved), and help you with a budget. My only problem was the credit card debt, so I didn't have to do anything drastic (except cut up all my credit cards and not use any during the time that I was paying off my cc debt...they make you take a scissors to your credit cards right in the office!).

Suze Orman books are GREAT. My library had a number of them....they are a must read. They are wonderful.

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.