Financial Question

naughtoj

Cathlete
Ok, this may be dumb, but..........

Can you calculate an APR (annual percentage rate) if you know a total balance and the finance charge amount on a credit card??

For example, if I tell you I have an AmEx card with $320.52 balance and my finance charge on that amount was $3.88, can you give me what my APR is???

I am wondering because I am seeing that my APR is 15.24% or something like that, but that can't be right can it? (BTW, it really CAN'T be right) Or is it impossible to calculate an APR from a finance charge and total balance????

Inquiring minds want to know how this works.....thanks!!!

I don't know if I'm right but I got an interest rate of 14.52% by multiplying $320.52 by .1452 and then dividing the answer by 12.

The standard calculation would be the principle x the rate x the time / 365 (days of the year)

In this case it looks like they took the principle (320.52) x the rate (.1524) x the time (29 days) then dividing by 365

for example 320.52 x .1524 x 29 / 365 = 3.88101...........

HTH,

Laura

OMG, I would have never figured that out on my own!!! I was skipping the 365 days part and the 29 days part, LOL. Wow Laura........you are awesome! Wendy....close! Thanks for taking a stab at it.

So...........my interest rate really is 15.24%? Seems like an interest rate that high would produce a finance charge much higher, no? Boy, if it really is 15% I am for sure gonna be on the phone and griping on Monday!! Thanks you guys.

I just saw a very interesting & enlightening piece on CNN. You can go out to money.com/cnn. The show talked becoming debt free, making a budget, etc. The show comes on every Sunday, you would have to check your schedule to see what time it comes on in your area.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.