Feet Numbness Issues...Any Suggestions?

MThede

This is probably a very common problem, but I am having major issues with my feet going numb during my workouts! :mad: It is mostly aggravating but kind of painful too. I have tried adjusting my laces over and over. I just bought 2 new pair of cross trainers to see if that helped. I just now stopped on interval#8 in IMAX3 because I could not stand the numbness any longer:(. HELP! A girl can't live this way...or workout this way. Any suggestions? Thanks!

This happens to me a lot also. I just kept on buying and returning sneakers until I found the right sneakers that didn't do that. I was able to return the sneakers because I only wore them in the house. I know it's frustrating but it could be the sneakers. Good luck:)

I had this same problem with high impact longer dvds like Turbo Fire, after a few tries I found these Nike's worked great for me, here is my whole review from a post a while back and everything else I tried before finding them...

From a previous post:
Reviving this discussion for an update. Ok, so since I wrote this I have gone through a variety of footwear and tried barefoot. My conclusion, since this is long, is for me the best (and most surprising) shoe is the Nike Free Hyper TR Women's Training Shoe...

So barefoot, this would be my preferred method but...

I had combined some workouts with shoes, some without, and some I started with shoes, and then when my feet got too numb or painful, switched to barefoot. I have very tight calves and legs in general, so after a couple weeks of this, I ended up with very annoying pain in my left achilles tendon, it took over a week to fully go away, and I had to really reduce my intensity to allow it time to heal. So for high impact, going to have to go with shoes.

Under Armour Brand:
My favorite shoes from over 2 years ago are my UA cross trainers, Silver with pink, they are not too built up in the back, so flatter than other sneakers, and I have always done well with them, still will get pain, but not as bad with these shoes. Originally I thought because they had less cushion was the problem, so I bought an updated version of this shoe, grey/silver with red, and they are bulkier and seem to get in my way with fast moving workouts, and the foot pain is worse during the high impact stuff.

Saucony Virtue Grid:
I heard about these from the VFF board, read the reviews on Zappos.com, and based on what these people said, thought I found the Holy Grail of sneakers for high impact, comments like "I felt like I was landing on pillows" was enough for me, but unfortunately I'm just not feeling the same way. They were OK, and I can see why people like them, but I prefer my cross trainers, and luckily I found them at Dick's Sporting Goods for $40! On zappos they are around $75. Hopefully I'll find some use for these.

Nike Free Hyper TR Women's Training Shoe
Ok so these are THE shoes, and this is odd for me, because I can't stand the way Nike usually fits me. I stopped buying them over 10 years ago after so many failed attempts. But these are a whole new ball game, I assume they were made after the Nike Free Runner shoes, and with the same concept, they are extremely light, flexible and flat, they are certainly not Vibram's, but they give you a very close to barefoot feel while still having some support, that I feel I need.

My other shoes felt like they would get in my way when trying to move fast, especially when fast jumping, with the Nike's I feel like I jump higher and can keep up with the pace, I'm not tripping over them like I do with bulkier shoes.

The first couple times out I had a little foot pain, just getting used to the shoe, but I am not experiencing that anymore. And because they are so flexible, the feeling of doing lunges and feeling the bend in my foot was a little odd, but after about 3 workouts, I'm liking it better now. If nothing else, I would think these are great shoes for weight lifting.

If you are looking for a more natural fit shoe, with less shoe, take a look at this one. At Dick's they were $85, but I found a few colors on sale at footlocker.com for $60, luckily it was the color I wanted :D.

One other note, I wear a size 8 shoe for 99% of my regular shoes (very rarely even move to a size 8.5), but I needed a 9 in these, and they are not too big at all.http://cathe.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2046144

I have this problem regularly. I think it's because I have high arches so my foot sits high in my shoe and the laces (no matter what I try) slow down my circulation.

I wear the nike free shoes and they are great! They have a soft stretchy upper. I also just got some zoot's and love them. They are similar to the nike free's but have more support in the heel area.

This happens to me a lot, and I have low arches--go figure. I notice it more on the higher impact stuff, too. Thanks for the post. I'm going to check out the suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to try the Nike Free CT's. I sent back the 2 new pair I purchased (Asics Gel) as they did not help at all. Good shoes but not what I needed. This numbness happens mostly with high impact, longer workouts like IMAX 3. I actually began noticing this "problem" when I began using the STS Cardio routines. Total bummer for me, that is for sure. I am trying to take my cardio to another level, but my feet won't let me go there. :( Hope the new shoes help.

My feet used to go numb all the time when I ran. I went to a specialty shop and had my running shoes properly fitted and I realized I was buying shoes too small. I wear a 6 1/2 normally but in workout shoes I need a 7 1/2. Go figure. It solved the problem though.

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to try the Nike Free CT's. I sent back the 2 new pair I purchased (Asics Gel) as they did not help at all. Good shoes but not what I needed. This numbness happens mostly with high impact, longer workouts like IMAX 3. I actually began noticing this "problem" when I began using the STS Cardio routines. Total bummer for me, that is for sure. I am trying to take my cardio to another level, but my feet won't let me go there. :( Hope the new shoes help.

Good luck with these, they seriously saved me, the numbness for me was consistent with the very high impact Turbo Fire workouts, and these saved me. They do take a few workouts to get used to, just because they are so light and thin and different than anything else. The only other thing that worked for me was to take my shoes off and continue barefoot, but I believe that led to straining my achilles (sp?) tendon.

There are many ways you can lace a shoe (a specialty running shoe store might be able to help). You might have to experiment a bit.
I've had luck with lacing my shoes half-way, then tying a knot so that the first lacing stays as-is, then just adjusting the other 'top' half of the lacing when I put my shoes on.

I've also seen info on using two pairs of laces. (you might look up "numb foot lacing" for a web search, and come up with some info).

Great suggestions for getting the right fit for our feet which often solves the issue right there.

Recently, two of my personal training clients were found to be a little low on Vitamin B12 during their last physicals and were given remedies for this by their physicians...which cleared up the numbness in their hands and feet!

Worth a call to your doctor to check it out if it means we can keep training at the levels we wnat to!

Gillian Orr
Master Trainer
New York Sports Clubs
www.gillianorrfitness.wordpress.com

Recently, two of my personal training clients were found to be a little low on Vitamin B12 during their last physicals and were given remedies for this by their physicians...which cleared up the numbness in their hands and feet!
I had a diabetic cat who developed neuropathy (pain and numbness in the feet). He was to the point where he was walking on his 'knees' (and cats walk on their 'toes'). The vet said it was irreversible, but I did some online searching, and found that B12 (methycobalamin is the most effective form) could work...and it did. After about a month of a daily sub-lingual pill (which he swallowed), he was back to jumping on the sofa and using the stairs, about 90% of normal.

It could also be a pinched nerve(s). I have a similar problem w/my left hand (although it appears to be permanent). If that is the problem, physical therapy can help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.