Feel good/powerful article from Cathe's Newsletter

I loved this part:

The weight room became your sanctuary, a place where you didn’t have to worry about being “smaller” or taking up less space. Your only mission was to lift more and be more.

…Here, you can take up space, make noise, and revel in your strength.

So much of the subtle messaging out there to women is to stay small - and that's not just in size, but in personality, too. Be polite. Speak softly. Don't make waves.

I feel silly saying it, but there's one section in one of the STS 2 workouts - might be Body Parts Chest, where I stand up and have this massive burst of energy in me that wants me to just ROAR. So I do! I finally get why men get so loud when lifting!

That's not something I would normally do - usually it's just quietly grunt through it and move on 'cause no one's supposed to know I'm here and I'll make people uncomfortable if I take up any kind of space, be it physically, or audibly.

Interesting stuff for me to digest this morning.

If I look around at the women I admire most, who have made the most lasting impact on my life and bettered the lives of others, I’d definitely say they were strong, opinionated but also prudent. Rarely did these character traits or behavior ever say, “small, soft, or unprovocative”, even if they were, themselves, physically small and soft-spoken. Women’s “power” comes from true femininity. And true femininity isn’t “soft”. It has a different strength than “masculine power” -- and that’s to the benefit of humanity. We endure, we persevere, we don’t give up, and even when we are silent, if we are dignified and self-possessed, people stand up straighter and give us respect when we enter and room and speak. (And if they don’t, they are the “weak” ones.)

I’m thinking in particular of my grandmother. She was a tiny little lady, but the strongest person I knew. She was feminine in all the right ways. She knew when to speak and when to act; when to be silent and when to rest. And when she saw someone she knew, everyone within earshot heard it. She was so joyful and welcoming and self-forgetful. She didn’t care who was watching or listening, she would holler, “Well, hey there! So good to see you!” And give the recipient a big hug. She’d give you the shirt off her back if you needed it and she was always the first to visit someone in the hospital if they were sick, or to take food to someone who had just lost a loved one. She worked in cotton mills, in the fields, was always in her garden or making something for someone — you never left her house empty-handed. She didn’t compromise on right and wrong, but you knew she loved you unconditionally.

In her later years, she had several strokes, one of which paralyzed her entire right side, almost completely. But the day after that stroke, when we went to visit her in the hospital, she was in her bed re-teaching herself how to crochet. They sent her home in a wheelchair but she rarely used it. She lost a daughter at 18 months old but she kept going; she lost her husband when he was 42, but she kept on going. She was unstoppable and I adored her — everyone did.

Small? Yes. Polite? Um…most of the time (hysterical laughter). Did she make waves? Oh, yes! All the best kind. My youngest child is named after her. She always told me how beautiful I was and how anything I ever put my mind to would be a success. So when I grew up, I decided what I wanted to be: I wanted to be just like her.

So when I leave the weight room, I leave it all on the floor — all of it — in honor of her legacy. And then I go and love my family and my community the way she would have. THAT’S STRENGTH. And you can‘t silence that.

Your words truly capture her spirit, and it's heartwarming to read about the impact she had on your life. You're truly blessed to have had her in your life. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story! If you enjoy reading uplifting articles like this, you might find more on https://seniorsbot.com. It's a great source for heartening content and stories that celebrate the joys of life.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.