Feedback on training plan for older female friend?

MomInVT

Cathlete
I'm trying to help a friend of mine in her 60s (who doesn't strength train) get started on a minimal 2x/week total body program. Here's my idea, but I'm interested in your thoughts/feedback:

Workout A
1) Bodyweight squat to box (later progress to goblet squat) 4x8
2a*) Pushup (incline as necessary) 3x8
2b) Bent-over one-arm resistance band row 3x8
3) Bodyweight glute bridge 4x12
* superset a+b

Workout B
1) Double Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift 4x8
2a) One-arm dumbbell overhead press 3x8
2b) Band-assisted chinups 3x8
3) Palloff press 4x12

A couple specific concerns that I'd like feedback on:
1) Set/rep schemes?
2) Sub suspension trainer inverted rows for assisted chinups?
3) Is overhead pressing too much too soon since I don't know her shoulder mobility, etc.? Sub triceps dips off step or band-assisted parallel bar dips?
However, also I'm interested in any thoughts you have about the program above.

Note that I'm not looking to increase the number of exercises, as I need this to be something that she'll actually do. We can always add more later, once the habit is formed.
Thanks for reading!
Roz

Roz,
I think its great that you are trying to help a friend get in better shape.

These are questions I would have before giving real good feedback:
What are her goals in regards to health & fitness?
Where is she at as far as mobility, stability, and strength?
How much time does she have to dedicate to her workouts?

When I started training with my sister due to what her goals were and what she was trying to accomplish, I went with higher reps (between 10-16 depending upon the exercise). Due to the lack of strength in her chest, I started her out with wall push-ups before we progressed to knee push-ups on an incline.

I would find out how her shoulder mobility is and then decide from there about the overhead presses.

When someone is first starting to workout, there is that fine line.... you want to make it challenging enough so they feel like they got a good workout but not too hard that they felt it was too much. It's about finding that balance where she feels challenged and accomplished and not exhausted and sore.

Brenda

Thanks, Brenda. You've affirmed a number of my hunches.
In terms of time to devote to workout out, she's said (and I know it to be true) that if it feels overwhelming to her, she won't do it. So I'm really trying to ease into it with two brief total body workouts a week so that it feels manageable and she can work up to something sustainable.
When someone is first starting to workout, there is that fine line.... you want to make it challenging enough so they feel like they got a good workout but not too hard that they felt it was too much. It's about finding that balance where she feels challenged and accomplished and not exhausted and sore.
Yeah, and it feels extra tricky to toe this line when I don't feel she has much 'technique', core strength, etc. She's active, walks, plays squash, but struggles with feeling her back is strong enough.

If her back is weak, you may want to start her out with cable or resistant band pull downs. If she doesn't have access to a cable pulldown, I would start her with a resistant band. Once she understands squeezing and pulling with her lats, then start her on chins and pullups. She can just sort of ease into them. Hope this helps. You're very kind to help a friend, Roz. Good on ya!!

If her back is weak, you may want to start her out with cable or resistant band pull downs. If she doesn't have access to a cable pulldown, I would start her with a resistant band. Once she understands squeezing and pulling with her lats, then start her on chins and pullups. She can just sort of ease into them. Hope this helps. You're very kind to help a friend, Roz. Good on ya!!
Thanks, Karen! This is very helpful. You're right, I'm going to start her with band pull-downs.

About the reps - I'd select the range she enjoys doing the most. At this stage consistency is more important than getting the range 'right'. I never look forward to endurance work!
Is she generally active? I know you said she doesn't do resistance training, but does she do any cardio? If she were to walk 3x per week, I'd say it's a fabulous, well rounded programme. Good on you for helping - let us know what she thinks.

About the reps - I'd select the range she enjoys doing the most. At this stage consistency is more important than getting the range 'right'. I never look forward to endurance work!
Is she generally active? I know you said she doesn't do resistance training, but does she do any cardio? If she were to walk 3x per week, I'd say it's a fabulous, well rounded programme. Good on you for helping - let us know what she thinks.
Thanks, Justine. You're right about rep ranges. Good call.
Yes, she already walks, which is great. She does need some strength work for her continued wellbeing.
Thanks to everyone for the awesome feedback!

Yes, to agree with everyone here, definitely get the back and rear deltoids stronger before getting into lifting heavy anywhere else (especially the chest). I have to pay extra attention to these parts (having back issues of my own) and even though I am lifting weights now :) I still use resistance tubing (mostly with weighted gloves) every week. My first learning experience came from tearing the chest because the foundation of the mid back and rear deltoids was just too weak. Multi directional band/tubing work is just essential IMHO when starting or starting again.

You are such a fabulous friend to have! Hope you two enjoy the training.

Yes, to agree with everyone here, definitely get the back and rear deltoids stronger before getting into lifting heavy anywhere else (especially the chest). I have to pay extra attention to these parts (having back issues of my own) and even though I am lifting weights now :) I still use resistance tubing (mostly with weighted gloves) every week. My first learning experience came from tearing the chest because the foundation of the mid back and rear deltoids was just too weak. Multi directional band/tubing work is just essential IMHO when starting or starting again.

You are such a fabulous friend to have! Hope you two enjoy the training.
Thanks for your input, Elsie!
Do you think the horizonal and vertical pulling (one-arm band rows and band pull-downs) cover rear delts, or do you think some additional rear delt work (e.g., flys with light DBs or band) would be a really beneficial add-on? I'm trying to take a minimalist approach, but covering all the back bases in a must.
Thanks!
Roz

Thanks for your input, Elsie!
Do you think the horizonal and vertical pulling (one-arm band rows and band pull-downs) cover rear delts, or do you think some additional rear delt work (e.g., flys with light DBs or band) would be a really beneficial add-on? I'm trying to take a minimalist approach, but covering all the back bases in a must.
Thanks!
Roz

I personally would add a little extra (2 sets is okay) of rear delt work like what you suggested. I think for beginners/intermediates, feeling stable in that part of the body just gives confidence in lifting overall. It also just helps with lifting/carrying around the dumbbells in general, so there isn't any shoulder hunching.
This one is great http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/CBOneArmCrossRow.html

I personally would add a little extra (2 sets is okay) of rear delt work like what you suggested. I think for beginners/intermediates, feeling stable in that part of the body just gives confidence in lifting overall. It also just helps with lifting/carrying around the dumbbells in general, so there isn't any shoulder hunching.
This one is great http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/CBOneArmCrossRow.html
Oh, that's perfect. Thanks, Elsie. I'll try her doing that with a light resistance band.

Thanks, everyone, for your support!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.