Fat Talk Free Week

Thanks for posting this. What a great video! It would be very hard to go "fat talk free", sadly. But I'd love to try!

I know, me too! I think body image is one of the most important issues facing women, especially young women, in the US. And it's astounding to me how wrapped up in physical appearance we, as a nation, are.

anne

When I was in the hospital for my eating disorder this was mandated. No one was allowed to talk about size in any way. In the hospital it became very clear to me that if I continued my behavior I would lose either everything that was important to me or my life. So everyone around me adopted this behavior of no talking about size and especially on evaluating people or situations on size. It took a long time to get out of the habit, but eventually it becomes habit to not talk like that. If we are in a social situation where people do talk about size we either leave the room or ask them to stop. Knowing my history most people comply.

I must tell you I am so much happier than I ever was. I had an eating disorder for 21 years and feel like I lost so much of my life to it. Now I am much heavier than I was then, but I am so much happier than I ever was. I have more balance in my life and more room for, well, a life.

I do encourage you to try stopping talk this this in your life. It is very empowering and reminds you and those around you that you are so much more than your size or shape.

Shayne

Thanks for sharing your story, Shayne. One of the reasons I posted this is because it seems like this is a movement to make a real change, which can be hard to do. It's good to hear that this behavior change works! I will definitely make an effort to alter my speech, which I hope will also alter my thinking. I spend way too much time worrying about/obsessing over my appearance.

anne

Thank you for posting this link, Anne. It is excellent. It does make me wonder and hope, like you said, if I change my speech will it change my thinking?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.