Fashion help - I'm going to the military ball

jgarr44460

Cathlete
O.K. I noticed the help you all gave for the prom dress necklace question and am hoping for some help myself. I have to go to the military ball and haven't a clue what to wear. I am basically a blue jeans and t-shirt kind of person. I don't want to spend a fortune on a dress I will probably never wear again but then the guys will either be in uniform or a tuxedo. I don't know the other women that are going and don't know who to ask. I am 46 - petite and have trouble finding something in my size that doesn't scream teenager.
Any ideas?

Try Marshalls, TJmax, Nordstrom rack, or Dillards. I don't live near a Dillards now, but when I did I would buy ALL of my dressy dresses there. They usually have tons on clearance and I remember getting quite a few under $30. If you have a Burlington Coat Factory, it may be worth checking out. Sometimes they have some really great deals. I usually don't like much of their clothes but they do have some nice formals.

carolyn

If the guys are going to wearing tuxedos, I think you are going to need a real floor-length formal number. Okay, I'm game so let's get started:
Are you small-boned? What is your figure like? Is your chest large or small? That will help you to choose the right neckline. What is your waist like? What is your coloring?

How's that for starters? }(
-Nancy

Jen, once you get Nancy that info and she gets back to you with all her great advice, you might want to try some consignment stores. You can get a really lovely dress that somebody perhaps wore just once for a fraction of the price.

You will definitely need to find something formal. A friend of mine went to the Marine Corps ball a few years back. She said everyone was wearing formal attire. I would suggest you hit the outlets and find something elegant at Ann Taylor Loft. They usually have some nice elegant dresses. Black is always a nice color at these events.

Nancy - O.K. Small boned, small chest, 27" waist?. I am dirty blonde,hair cut to the collar, fair skin as in very white this time of year and I do not tan - I appreciate anything you have to add.
Thanks everyone for the answers. I at least have some stores to look in.

There are plenty of age-appropriate sophisticated dresses around. In your case, I would stay away from v-necks and scoop necks and go with something with a higher neckline, form-fitting to accentuate your waist, and a simple shape. We petites get lost in lots of fabric, so simple close-fitting shapes are best. By the way, I have never found a dress that fits without substantial tailoring. If possible, look for Special Occasion Separates. They look like dresses, but are actually two separate pieces so you can buy different sizes if necessary, and they tend to fit much better.

I think that Lord & Taylor has a great petite selection and wonderful prices. They're always having big sales and coupons and the like.

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't love black on women who have light hair and skin. Somehow, I think the harshness of the black makes them look washed out. If you do wear black, I would suggest wearing more eye make-up and a bold shade of lipstick. My preference for blondes, though, is light make-up and a lighter color dress.

Just my two cents worth,
Nancy

Jen,
I have been to many military balls over the last 4 years or so but they have been Army balls. I've noticed that some women just wear very nice floor length dresses(nothing flashy), with nice jewelry and beautiful wraps. Other women will go all out and wear the formal dresses with bedazzaled stuff all over. I have seen women show up in shorter dresses but in my opinion, that look appears out of place. There probably will be a lot of black dresses so it might be a good idea to wear some color(like Nancy suggested). Also, it may be a good idea to get your hair and makeup done, unless you like to do that yourself. I have yet to do that, but every ball while I'm getting ready, I plan to do that next time just to make it easier. Also, it is a special occasion so you may want to treat yourself.:) You might as well look your best right?

carolyn

Carolyn - I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for now thanks to you and Nancy. The only problem is I live in the sticks of upstate NY and will need to travel to find something appropriate. I have until May, so there's time. Thanks -

Jen- I think Charlotte's DD had it right because she bought early. This is a great time to shop for spring dresses. I just wanted to caution you about waiting too long, because the selection might not be as good a month from now.

Good luck!! (BTW, you are going to post a pic, aren't you??)
-Nancy

Nancy-That is a beautiful dress. I will not wait too long to shop, I agree this is the best time for the best selection. I think I am going to take a trip to Connecticut next week and look around. As far as posting a picture, I am computer challenged when it comes to that. I will ask my son to help me when he comes home from college.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.