Experiments with Intermittent Fasting

Wanted to share. :) If you don't want to read the entire experiment, skip to chapter 7.

Experiements with Intermittent Fasting by Dr. John Berardi
All About Intermittent Fasting | FREE Book From Dr. John Berardi

I just started skimming through this. It looks very interesting and I'm going to give it a try. If anyone else has tried this, I'd love to hear what you think. I am a very healthy eater but feel that fasting for a day could have some benefits so I'm looking forward to reading this in entirety and giving it a try. Thanks Fit44 for posting this link.

I personally found that I put on weight if I skip breakfast, but that said, skipping lunch and or dinner I lost weight. It just depends on the person.

I personally found that I put on weight if I skip breakfast, but that said, skipping lunch and or dinner I lost weight. It just depends on the person.

Yes, Berardi talks about this in his summary. Some people are better off grazing (eating every 2-3 hours). He said he has done well with dozens of different eating systems, and he adds this to the list of what works for him.

Intermittent fasting

Thanks Fit44 for posting this article about fasting.

Fitness Rx covered fasting topic on Nov-Dec issue.
I personally did 16 hours and have not felt catching up on calorie consumption later on throughout the day. I have not put on. I have lost weight i.e scale decreased. I have not been consistent during Holidays in my workout, I did not deprive myself during christmas and new year eve festivity . I have just resumed my STS program. I do eat clean a part from festivity when I could not set my ways of eating to everyone!:eek:

Each person is different---This has worked for me.:)

I've tried 24 & 16 hour fasting. The 16 hour fasting is much easier to do. It put me in touch with how to identify real hunger.
I've noticed several figure competitors on BB.com are using the 16/8 (Martin Berkhan) method for cutting phase. They say it's the easiest way to cut.
Here is his website if you want to read more.-
Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health: Supplements
Thanks for posting. :) Totally agree with you on the bolded statement.

I posted the message below in another thread (on the 18th) after reading an article posted by Dr. Mercola. Since reading that article, I have implemented the 16/8 plan, and I do like how I am feeling. My food and beverage consumption is much more mindful. Eight hours goes by pretty quickly. You only can eat so much in that time frame. I am satisfied and not feeling at all starved. Now, I do still have the flu, so I have not exercised during the last week. It will be an adjustment when I can get back into the gym again, but I still think the '8-hr. eating plan' will be doable. I believe it is just a matter of timing, and ensuring that my meals are well-balanced. I am also reducing my sugar intake. Sugar is sugar, and for me, sugar is the devil. I can say that I've noticed a positive difference in my mood, and I am not craving sweets. :) Reducing my sugar intake is forcing me to eat more savory foods, and savory means that I am eating more veggies. :D I believe water consumption is very important, so I aim to drink at least 1-1/2 to 2 quarts of plain water per day. I dunno....perhaps catching the flu was just what I needed to implement an improved nutritional plan for myself? :confused: Time will tell. :)

I have put on a few pounds over the past year, despite regular rigorous exercise and eating super clean. I have been horribly ill this week with the flu :( and so, have eaten very little. Suffice it to say, I have dropped some weight and now I am on a mission to shed the rest of the weight that I don't want. I have followed Dr. Mercola for a while now. I never really could wrap my head around some of his weight management concepts, but since coping with illness this week, I am now further convinced about his philosophies. Here's a brief synopsis of an article that he posted today, along with a link for you to read the entire piece if you wish. I think the idea of consuming your meals within an 8-hr. time frame sounds perfectly reasonable. Have a nice day, all. :)

Story at-a-glance
  • Two new health books reveal how intermittent fasting can help you normalize your weight, prevent many chronic diseases, and increase longevity.
  • The ‘8-hour diet’ is a type of scheduled eating plan where you simply restrict your normal daily eating to an eight hour window of time, without cutting calories. Research has shown that this simple lifestyle tweak can significantly modify body composition, including reduce fat mass.
  • High intensity interval training has been shown to be highly synergistic with intermittent fasting, and both techniques provide many of the same health benefits.
  • Research has shown that intermittent fasting quickly improves insulin’s ability to manage blood sugar, and that fluctuations in food consumption appear to be REQUIRED for optimal metabolic function.

Intermittent Fasting

Is the 8 hr window the same time everyday? Or, from the start of your first meal whatever that may end up being that day?

I have tried IF using the Eat Stop Eat method. 24 hours can be tough but doable. More mentally challenging than anything and a great way to build mental endurance which can be helpful I think for longer and tougher workouts.

That said - I am not doing it now. I try to eat only 3x a day. Also I do 16 hr fasts. Like someone' said above it can help you to identify true hunger and also eat more mindfully and appreciate your food and its tastes more.

The best thing for me is I've started to notice how certain foods make me feel. I make a mental note of it. And then I mentally hi-lite and underline and italicize it!! Lol...that way when I consider eating a "bad" food, I can remember how crappy I felt after. This has helped me cut out unhealthy wheat (boxed pasta and fast food).

Also for food tracking and generally having a Better of how you're eating is going, I think fasting and using 3 meals a day makes life simpler and easier.

If you want accountability try 21habit.com - I just signed up for my first goal. It's a neat idea. I found the website in Real Simple Mac.

David Zinczenko (the Eat This, Not That guy) just released a book called The 8 Hour Diet, based on the idea that previous posters have discusssed. I was turned off from this book because he also says that you can still eat anything you want and as much as you want. Whether you are doing intermittent fasting or not, that's the wrong idea to me.

I don't need to lose weight, but reading this thread has made me realize that one of the ways I maintain with relative ease is because I have been doing IF. I would say my span of eating is 10 hours a day, and having that schedule has really worked for me (combined with eating clean + one small treat each day).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.