Experienced Weight Lifters/ Question

Mic

Cathlete
I really want to develop some good definition in my muscles, would you suggest going with the 10 - 12 rep count or staying with a heavy weight and going with the 8 - 10 count? I'm going to be doing P90X so I'd like some suggestions, I'm really trying to develop the definition. Thanks.

I would definitely try to go to 10-12 reps to muscle failure. DH and I are going to buy that P90X series soon. Can't wait! Have fun, don't hurt yourself now! :7

Charlotte~~

Well not to argue w/Ms. Charlotte--oh WTH, I'm gonna argue w/Ms. Charlotte :p --in order to develop definition you need to develop the muscle. I've stuck pretty much with the 8-10 rep principle for about 15 years now (except on body parts that I'm not trying to build, like my calves & lower back where I use low weight/high rep).

Anyway as usual I'm getting OT. I would recommend going as heavy as you can for 8 reps only. Once you can do 3 sets 8 reps without much of a struggle, increase your 3rd set to 10 reps. Once you can increase your 2nd set to 10 reps, it's time to move up in weight.

Also hit the diet hard. That's what'll really give you definition. ;-)

Interesting, two schools of thought here, I want you both to know I appreciate your advice and I'm not going to tell you what I'm going to do. I wouldn't want either of you to think I don't appreciate the much needed advice. Thank you very much, it's interesting some people really do think that women should go heavy for the definition and yet still you do always here if you want definition keep the reps higher. I wonder if we took a poll what the ladies would say gave them the best definition? Interesting.

I have to agree with Laura. For my upper body when I go as heavy as possible and do 8-10 reps I get the best definition, and yes with a very CLEAN diet. My lower body is my trouble area so now I am starting to mix it up a bit. But my diet has not been real clean so results will be way slow...:)...Carole

Oh, that's good to know, thanks for the reply, I'll try to keep my diet as clean as possible but you know we all have to slip now and then. Good for the soul.

I would also add the importance of getting a good rest between sets and on days after training a body part. I think the rule is to rest about 1-2 minutes between sets to allow O2 to the muscle and to replenish energy supplies. If you can handle the weight without the rest, then the weight may be to light for you.

carolyn

a personal trainer gave me this guide when i asked the same question.

Endurance-15-20 reps for 3 sets,3x's a week for 6 weeks

Hypertrophy(size): 10-12 reps for 5-6 sets,3x's a week for 12 weeks

Strength: 4-8 reps for 3 sets,3x's a week for 12 weeks

"Toning"(he hated this word but this would be definition)12-15 reps 3 sets,3x's a week for 6 weeks.

for endurance and "toning" it would be light/moderate weight to complete the reps but the last few reps almost impossible to do(muscles failing) hptertrophy moderate/heavy, and strength heavy weights again you want muscle failure. i am sure everybody respods differently but he said this was just a general guideline to work with. i haven't followed it to the letter myself i just mix it up every month, one month i will do heavy the next lighter for endurance and take it from there. one of these days when i don't have exercise ADD i will try it with endurance for 6 weeks, hypertrophy for 12 weeks etc etc. although even in a month i see a difference.

HTH

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

I actually got good definition with P90 X doing 15 reps as heavy as possible with dumbbell work. Of course, the on-the-toes push-ups and pull-ups were often fewer reps!

Okay, now I'm getting confused. What to do, what to do? Seriously, thanks for all the replies.

I achieved my best results with Pure Strength using reps of 10. This series has finally allowed me to increase all of my weights in the GS workouts. Now I choose to go heavier even if I can't complete all of the reps Cathe does. I also rest longer between sets than Cathe does so that I can lift my heaviest. :)

Here's the formula:

Cardio -- at least 30 minutes a day...preferably more.

Lifting -- you need both...it's not a one or the other deal.
1. Absolute Strength (heavy weights/lower reps)
2. Dynamic Strength aka Endurance (lower weights/more reps)
You'll never get the best results doing just ONE of them.

Flexibility

Rest

Food (protein, protein, protein. I can't say it enough. 1g per lb of bodyweight is good to shoot for). Watch the sodium.

Water

Shonie
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=3655618&

MIC..

I can certainly understand your continued state of confusion...

You've received some excellent advice above. Notice how different everyone is? That's because we are different and what works for one, may not work for another.

So what do you do?? You seriously consider all the advice given above. Actually I'd print off all the responses for future reference if I were you.

Then I'd pick something from what was suggested. Try it, but you have to give it time (at least 4 weeks). Do you see the results? If not, go back to the drawing board. Consider whether or not you truly gave it your all and either 1) give it another shot with more intensity 2) check your food intake or 3) pick another suggestion.

Be patient, but be willing to put forward your very best effort. You'll get there...

~Marietta
FITXME
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.