Equipment questions

kblvr

Cathlete
I'm just wondering about equipment. I'm going to get a step, but I was wondering how often the high step is used. Im also wondering about the figure 8 band? I saw one on amazon and it had cathe's name on it, but I'm wondering if it is used a lot and is worth investing in. I have only done the travel dvd and a kickboxing DVD (only a band and stability ball was needed), so I'm not sure what all is needed. I plan to download a bunch of videos by next week to take advantage of the special, but I'm trying to figure out some of the equipment I'm going to need (and what I'm going to need now and what can wait until a little later). I'm very new to Cathe's workouts, so not sure about all the equipment. I have a stability ball and I'm hoping the moving pad things will work for the gliding discs (I have carpet). Thanks for your help!

Hi - I'm fairly new to Cathe workouts also, so hopefully a more experienced member will come along and answer your question.

But from my limited experience and reading a ton on these message boards, here's my take on equipment.

If you are going to do step, you obviously need a step... lol

You said you have a stability ball.

the only 2 other things that you really need are:

1) a resistance band

2) a bunch of dumbbells

You can substitute dumbbells when Cathe and crew are using a barbell.

I'm not sure how often the High Step is used...... but I have been told, by those more experienced than I am, that often you can use the regular step where they use the High Step... not always.. but sometimes.

and, of course, it all depends on which DVDs you are going to use....

So far, I'm doing fine with a stability ball, step, resistance band and dumbbells.

I do have a barbell on order, but a barbell is not required.
I just wanted one :p

Edited to add: I have about a dozen DVDs so far and I've only seen the "figure 8" band used a couple of times and very very briefly. IMHO, it's not anything worth spending money on. You can use the regular resistance band and tie it when needed...

Last edited:
Everything Susan said :D.

One note about the high step, I love it, I don't do step workouts per say, but I use both my regular step and the high step. However, there is nothing I have come across that you do on the high step that you can't do on a regular step. BUT with that said, you do need more risers for a regular step to get the same height Cathe will use with a high step, so for that reason, I had bought the high step originally because it gave me extra risers and the extra bonus of the high step topper, then ended up using the high step much more often.

I wasn't going to get the high step, but the more I think about it I think I'm going to. Just like you said about wanting the extra risers-I figured it would be a better value to get the high step and then I could use those risers for the step. I found a step and high step on amazon and they each come with a Cathe DVD, so it's a win win!

I have a resistance band, so I'm good there. How many sets of dumbells do you have? What weights do you use?

I have very limited space. I plan on storing the steps and the pieces under the couch. I have 3, 5, and 8 lb hand weights-probably not heavy enough. I'll get the steps at least, and use the specials and get the downloads for the workouts I'm interested in and then go from there. I guess as I become familiar with the workouts I can start a Christmas wish list. Hopefully Santa visits me this year! :)

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

Have you done any of the 1 rep max tests? Even if you don't do all of them, just doing a sampling will give you an idea of what kind of weights you might need.

I would say to start you should look at getting 10's, 12's and 15's. You can always buy more as you progress, and will probably need the 20's pretty soon. I had bit the bullet and bought from 10's to 30's, then later added 35's and have stopped there, no lying the price does add up fast. As mentioned above, you can save some space and cash and just use dumbbells when Cathe uses barbells.

I am SO excited!!!! I went on craigslist just on the off chance there were adjustable dumbbells for sale. I am able to get a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 30 lbs, AND a 5 ft straight bar with 40 lbs (10 lb plates)-which means I could also make the dumbbells go up to 50 lbs----all for $50!!!!! I don't think my husband can complain about that too much, right?! Hopefully I can pick that up this weekend, and then I'll be all set for the workouts!

I will definitely do that chart and find my 1RM, that is a great idea.

I'm so excited!!!

I am SO excited!!!! I went on craigslist just on the off chance there were adjustable dumbbells for sale. I am able to get a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 30 lbs, AND a 5 ft straight bar with 40 lbs (10 lb plates)-which means I could also make the dumbbells go up to 50 lbs----all for $50!!!!! I don't think my husband can complain about that too much, right?! Hopefully I can pick that up this weekend, and then I'll be all set for the workouts!

I'm so excited!!!

great for you!!! enjoy!

A lot of the weight workouts call for an adjustable workout bench or the original step bench with at least four risers on each side. I started with the mini step and added the long bench a few weeks later. Some of Cathe's older weight workouts do chest work lying on the floor. You could modify with that until you can purchase an adjustable bench or the long step bench.

You will also need a set of resistance bands. They aren't that expensive. I think Cathe has a set of three for $19.95.

Wal-Mart has the best prices on the cast iron (silver) dumbbells.

Just use cheap paper plates in place of the gliding discs until you can purchase them.

I know how you feel about spending the money. I added a new item each paycheck. It took a few months but now I have everything I need. We have a used sporting goods store where I live. That is where I got started with some of my equipment.

I'm so excited!!!

Wow that's an amazing deal, congrats on the find!

I didn't have money to purchase extra stuff so my husband took a milk crate and added carpet on it for the step. It served its purpose. I also used dumbbells since I did not have a barbell. I used a stability ball for the slanted step. I also used a towel or paper plates for gliders.

I'm just wondering about equipment. I'm going to get a step, but I was wondering how often the high step is used. Im also wondering about the figure 8 band? I saw one on amazon and it had cathe's name on it, but I'm wondering if it is used a lot and is worth investing in. I have only done the travel dvd and a kickboxing DVD (only a band and stability ball was needed), so I'm not sure what all is needed. I plan to download a bunch of videos by next week to take advantage of the special, but I'm trying to figure out some of the equipment I'm going to need (and what I'm going to need now and what can wait until a little later). I'm very new to Cathe's workouts, so not sure about all the equipment. I have a stability ball and I'm hoping the moving pad things will work for the gliding discs (I have carpet). Thanks for your help!

I step use the long step as a weight bench for chest, back, and tricep work...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.