Eqiupment Questions (slide discs, step, etc)

Ananda13

Hi! I've been working out with Cathe off-and-on for a long, long time, and I think it's about time I upgraded my equipment.

I've always had the circuit step (much smaller in length and width), and I really want a full size step. I also want to get slide n glide discs, as some newer DVDs I've bought from Cathe feature them (Afterburn and X10) and I'm tired of modifying.

The problem is, I don't see either of these for sale on Cathe's website! :( I found this site through Googling: http://cathe.com/aerobic-step/, which has links to where you can buy the step and other stuff like slanted risers on shop.cathe, but all of the products are "out of stock," and I've checked back several times over a few weeks and that hasn't changed. And I cant find her Slide n Glide discs anywhere online.

I wanted to know if anyone knows where to get these products specifically! I've found The Step in its full size on Walmart and Amazon, and I found a pair of Gold's Gym slide n glide discs too. But these discs look nothing like Cathe's discs. And I wanted Cathe's step specifically because the reviews say the mat on top is springier than The Step brand, and because I would prefer Low Max (Cathe's description says it's included), which I would actually use. The Step on Walmart/Amazon comes with Basic Step, which I already have a copy of and never use.

If Cathe no longer sells these and they cant be found anymore, would anyone be kind enough to tell me what other products have worked for them? (OR does anyone wanna sell theirs?! ;D ) I'm even open to creative suggestions. For example Cathe's slide n glide discs remind me a lot of soft frisbee discs for dogs. Anyone think those would work?

Thank you for reading this, especially if you can help me out! :D I'm off to do a favorite program of mine -- 4 Day Split: Boot Camp!

Hi Ananda13,

There are discs on Amazon called "Gliding" discs and are purple, however, you can buy furniture gliders that are a lot less $ at Home Depot or Lowes & some people just use paper plates. You can check ebay, but I will tell you that I love thrift stores and have found used equipment for very little $. I bought an original step w/4 risers and it's own carry bag for $15 and the Gliders I mentioned above for $2. I have pretty much built up my home gym buying "like new" equipment at Thrift Stores for a minimum cost. But it is a hit and miss. If I had been looking for those gliders specifically I would never have found them. That being said, gliding workouts are becoming more popular and I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot more of those discs.

I realize a lot of people are queasy about thrifting, but for me, I just clean everything right up and it's good to go. Also, I own an old Step II that is shorter than the original step and at first I found it awkward to use the original. I use both now. I don't know if the Cathe Step is springier, but since I think it is also made by the original Step, I don't think there would be much difference.

Hope any of this helps. Good luck on your treasure hunt.

Rosa

I have the step from Walmart and have had it for about 15 yrs now with no problems. I used the step dvd in the beginning because I was a beginner, but I do use it for Cardio & Weights. If you look on amazon, you can get discs but they are not Cathe's. The Gold's Gym ones seem pretty good, they are double sided, one side for carpet the other for hard floors. I only have Cathe's discs because I got them when I preordered the LIS series or else I just used paper plates before that. Rosa, thanks for the heads up on thrift stores, I thought they only carried more clothes and small furniture. I give my stuff to a local one that is run by the humane society so sales go back to them. Next time I drop off, I'll have to look around.

I have Cathe's gliding discs, because I ordered LIS. My sister however, uses furniture gliders from Home Depot. They work extremely well. I have fitness flooring in my home gym. Gliders don't work very well on the flooring. I throw a carpet remnant on the floor when I use gliding discs. Works very well. Hope this helps.

If you are still looking for Cathe's cardio step, you can find it at: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aa/cardio-club-step.html

It is the only place I was able to find it recently. IMO, this step is a must for anybody who does a lot of step workouts. I think this company is selling what is left of the Altus equipment. The cardio step is very different than the regular step. The platform has a lot more give so there is less impact on the joint. If you do jump on and off the step, you need it. I would never do those workout on the old step again. The difference is night and day. Plus, the surface on top is a lot softer. I do all step workouts barefoot. Using the old step was not pleasant. I am very happy to have mine. I was thinking about getting a second one just in case.

If you are still looking for Cathe's cardio step, you can find it at: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aa/cardio-club-step.html

It is the only place I was able to find it recently. IMO, this step is a must for anybody who does a lot of step workouts. I think this company is selling what is left of the Altus equipment. The cardio step is very different than the regular step. The platform has a lot more give so there is less impact on the joint. If you do jump on and off the step, you need it. I would never do those workout on the old step again. The difference is night and day. Plus, the surface on top is a lot softer. I do all step workouts barefoot. Using the old step was not pleasant. I am very happy to have mine. I was thinking about getting a second one just in case.

Hello Soapmaker,

Thank you for the info regarding Cathe's step. I am new to Cathe, but I do remember that in the past other fitness gurus like Kathy Smith used steps with some kind of spring action. I have never seen one but I do remember that. Thanks for the correction.

Rosa

Hi! Thank you all for replying, and I'm sorry I didn't respond right away. I recently started a new position at work, and I've barely had time for anything else this week. It's all I've been able to manage just to get in a workout and some dinner before going to bed! At least I'm not skipping the workouts though! :)

Thank you Soapmaker for linking me to the makers of Cathe's step! This is exactly what I was looking for, and it's competitively priced compared to The Step version on Amazon/Walmart. I really might get this -- what you say about it is what the reviewer's on Cathe's step say too; that the top is softer and the platform springier. I want to work out barefoot! And I like the idea that literally everything would be a little less impact because of the give designed into this step. This is so tempting; thank you so much for linking it! I wonder why they stopped making it...

However, I'm really tempted by Rosamor's suggestion about thrifting! I never considered that steps would be popular thrift items, but duh!!! And there are 5+ thrift shops and antique malls within a few miles of my home -- I'm going to visit them today to see if they have any steps or if they receive them often, and what the price is. If the difference in price really is significant, I may thrift! Otherwise, I'll probably get the one from the bodybuilding site.

Firemedic and desertambrosia, thank you for the suggestions about the discs! I didn't know they came with the LIS series! I have used paper plates in the past, but I hate the sound they make. I never considered furniture movers, but that is such a clever idea! and I bet they are cheaper than what are marketed as exercise discs. And then I don't need to have them shipped either -- I can just go to Target or Lowe's.

Thank you so much everyone! I cant wait to start working out with new fitness toys! :)

Ananda, you could check Craig's list too. I bought my 1st one on CL and the 2nd at a thrift store. Total investment for both $25. I also find my free weights and barbell this way, then I have more cash for the DVDs!

My first step was an old, full-sized club step I got for $7 at a local recycling place: lucky find! Two years ago I bought the cardio step sold by Cathe through her Altus range. I notice absolutely no difference at all between the two, no added springiness to the newer bench. Nothing at all. In fact I might go as far as to say that actually, this Cathe step has less cushioning because I can feel the step and the ruts in the plastic under the rubber surface through the soles of my shoes when I first start out doing a step workout, and I have to ignore it and let the feet and legs warm up and not feel it.

Not sure that this helps much except to say, if you find a full sized step at a bargain price, no matter which type it is, get it. Also, look on ebay: that's where I bought my high step and some additional risers.

Clare

I have the Gold's Gyms discs now because I had to move out/in of my condo (Water damage) and I haven't yet found the box that has my Cathe discs and so I just ordered the Gold's Gym ones from amazon. (i ordered cathe's discs a long time ago then never used them! ha!) The gold gym ones work fine. The Cardio club step can also be found used on ebay and amazon, and personally, I'd go that route to save money. And you can buy risers as you need them, too, in pairs.

I bought these Elite Core Slider Gliding Discs. I like them a lot. Lo and behold, I just checked on them and they are currently unavailable! Very odd. I like them. They are reversible and work on carpet or hard floors (I have carpet). They were about $20. I use a TransFIRMer step with Cathe workouts. Few if any issues there. I just turn it to the side for high step routines, instead of me facing it at its full length (if that makes any sense). Don't know if they still sell the TransFIRMer, but I like that I can use it for 6", 8", and 14" flat, plus have it on an incline. It's very sturdy, holds a lot of weight and has lasted me several years. I don't remember what I paid for it. I see it used on Amazon sometimes...

Hmmm, which gliding discs would you folks recommend for carpet and long feet?
I have ones like the ones on the right in this photo, but I am finding they aren't stable enough and my toes hang over and it just won't work.
CarpetSliders2141.jpg

I have ones like the ones on the right in this photo, but I am finding they aren't stable enough and my toes hang over and it just won't work.
CarpetSliders2141.jpg

I think either one would work. If you already own the pair on the right, I would try placing my foot at different angles. See if a different foot placement helps.

Harbor Freight carries a pack of furniture movers in a variety of sizes, including a set that is 4-5" square. These are the ones I used before I got the Cathe sliding discs. I don't do the "slide" workouts often, but frankly I like the furniture movers better than the discs on my tile floor.

CarpetSliders2141.jpg

I wear a size 10.5B and work out on carpet, too, so I get where you're coming from! I have the round ones, and I like them fine. I rarely have my heels on the sliders, since the heel is needed to stop the slider, so I don't have any issue with them being too small. Are your heels off of the sliders, or do you keep your feet on the whole slider?

Many people seem to work out just fine in shoes on sliders, but I quite honestly have to do slide workouts in bare feet. The web-like ability of bare toes to grab onto that surface really can't be duplicated in shoes for me. I'm not saying that's best, it's just what is ideal for my own feet. Thought I'd throw that out there. I say choose ones as slick as possible for carpeted floors, with some heft to them. Without heft, I find sliding a little more dangerous on carpet. Paper plate-type sliders can fly out from under you, not feeling as safe.

Thank you so much for all the pointers. : )

TurquoiseEyes,
I too, work out withOUT shoes 85% of the time no matter what I'm doing. : ) Most of my heel is on the slider. I just do not like my (gangly) toes being off. I don't feel stable somehow. But I do have weak ankles (I'm working on it with MELT method now), so maybe that's creating an issue. Perhaps I'll look into the round ones and the Harbor F ones Nancy has suggested.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.