Emotional Eating

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum and this is the first time I am posting. I've also recently discovered Cathe and love her workouts. My question is this: Do any of you ever eat "emotionally" and how do you get out of that habit? I'm not overweight, wear a size 6 to 8, am in good health and getting stronger with Cathe. My problem is I tend to view my eating as black and white, perfect days, not perfect days. I'm trying hard to get over that, but not sure how to. I have always been more the "quiet, shy" type and when I get in situations that feel stressful to me, I reach for something to eat. Then once I've blown it, it takes me a day or to to get back on track. If any of you have helpful suggestions or know of any reading materials on the subject, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Denise

Hi, Denise! Been there soooo many times!

I think you've hit the nail on the head yourself by acknowledging your tendency to view eating as black-and-white, perfect days and not perfect days. The tendency to put a moral emphasis on food choices can, I think, backfire 99% of the time although it is depressingly common these days.

I think it's important to identify foods that are more nutrient-rich than others, and to limit the amount of overprocessed foods that are loaded with preservatives and sodium and concentrated fats and simple sugars . . . but only to limit them, not necessary forbid yourself them. That might mean a weekly treat, or indeed a daily one. If anyone told me I had to give up my nightly bowl of Cheez-Its or potato chips, or my weekday crunchy M&M's, I'd either burst into tears or deck 'em.

What helped me get over emotional or habitual eating (i.e. eating a dessert each night out of habit), in all honesty, was upkicking my strength training. I found that when I did that, and started to increase strength capacities and mass, my appetite started to naturally gravitate toward more nutritious foods, and I was far less apt to reach for food in a stress situation. Plus, as I've gotten older the squirrels I get from eating too much sugar and the logey feeling I get from eating too much concentrated fat have gotten me far away from them.

Hope this helps a bit. I'll be interested in others' responses; it's a fairly common situation.

A-jock

Thanks for your response to my question! I do try to eat healthy most of the time and I try not to get to hung up on the good food/bad food thing. I think I'm more concerned with just how to deal with stress in my life in general. Just in search of a healthier outlet than munching on a bag of m&m's!

Thanks again,

Denise

Hello ladies,

This is something I am evaluating in my own life. I am currently reading a fascinating and helpful book on the subject of emotional eating. I am learning so much. The book is called LIFE IS HARD, FOOD IS EASY: THE FIVE STEP PLAN TO OVERCOME EMOTIONAL EATING AND LOSE WEIGHT ON ANY DIET by Linda Spangle. Check it out on amazon.com for $14.00, if you would like. It may be helpful!

Dawn :0)

Dawn,

Thanks for the info. on the book. I'm going to order it from Amazon. I'm especially concerned because I have a 3 year old daughter and I want her to learn good habits from the start. I definately think my emotional eating stems back to my younger years but I just can't pinpoint why.

I love your quote about strong women.

Denise

Denise-

You are in a great position to raise your daughter in the way that we all wish we could have been raised: respecting and valuing herself for assets other than her looks. Teach her self-worth and self-reliance and downplay the importance of looks or catching a man. The young girls I see today are so much better off emotionally than we were. There's hope for us, but it's much harder to overcome years of the wrong kind of thinking. Emphasize healthy, nutritious eating and don't mention looks. Let her know how much she is loved and valued. And here's the one I've seen more Moms struggle with: don't put yourself down in front of your daughter (or ever)!

It's easy for me to say because I've never had the privilege of being someone's Mom, but good luck! And happy mother's day to all you lucky Moms!

-Nancy

Nancy,

What encouraging words! They really made me feel good! Yes, it's a constant struggle to teach her the right values, especially when I struggle with my own looks or my own hang ups with perfection. But I suppose the first step is just being aware.

Thanks again,

Denise

Each night before you fall asleep, mentally list all the ways you've been a positive role model for her. Train your mind to focus on all you're doing right rather than any shortfalls. Progress towards a goal often has setbacks, yet it's still generally forward motion.

Multiple benefits: It would remind you daily how great it is to be a mom & what a difference you're making. You'll feel even better about yourself, and your daughter will pick up on how you treat yourself as yet another good example.

You don't have to be perfect to be really wonderful. Your daughter will know that on some level (unless over time she sees that you think mistakes are cumulative & worth beating yourself up over). Enjoy each moment--you're really lucky to have each other. It sounds like you're a thoughtful, loving mother.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.