Egg White ideas

L Sass

Cathlete
Hi fellow Cathletes. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to choke down egg whites. I hate eggs, but I will eat them. Ordinarliy when I eat them I'll do 4 egg whites with one whole egg, scrambled for breakfast. Sometimes with a pc of Ezekiel toast. And now my trainer wants me to add in egg whites at night - just whites - with no starchy carbs added. Honestly I don't think egg whites really have flavor, so I'm wondering if it's a texture thing I hate. You know, the rubbery bland blech. Sooooo, any ideas for how I can choke down a few egg whites in the evening? TIA

Hi fellow Cathletes. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to choke down egg whites. I hate eggs, but I will eat them. Ordinarliy when I eat them I'll do 4 egg whites with one whole egg, scrambled for breakfast. Sometimes with a pc of Ezekiel toast. And now my trainer wants me to add in egg whites at night - just whites - with no starchy carbs added. Honestly I don't think egg whites really have flavor, so I'm wondering if it's a texture thing I hate. You know, the rubbery bland blech. Sooooo, any ideas for how I can choke down a few egg whites in the evening? TIA

Believe it or not, often I'll mix an uncooked egg white into a cup of yogurt for a little extra protein blast. It doesn't change the flavor at all, just makes the texture a little soupy. If you're concerned about having the whites uncooked, what you could do would be to cook some eggs and discard the yolks, then mush up the whites very finely with a fork so that it mixes easily, then mix this into some tuna salad or chicken salad.

A-Jock

I take some frozen spinach and warm it up, add egg whites and at the end put on a piece of low fat swiss and flip it over like an omlette. Don't know if you are allowed the spinach and swiss.

What other foods are permitted? You can always make any omelet combo you like, but not sure how much fat you are allowed. My personal favorite combo is egg white omelet with diced ham, tomatoes, scallions and cheddar cheese, it's good without the ham too. I love eggs, but would not enjoy just plain whites either.

Life is too short to choke down food you don't like! If I were you I'd ask the trainer for some substitutes. Granted, egg whites are very low in calories and for the protein you get, but for a few more calories you might be able to find something you enjoy.

Stebby

Well, you KNOW I love my egg whites ANY way (besides raw, lol). But, have you ever eaten hard-boiled eggs or whites warm/hot??? Seriously? Most people make them, stash them away in the fridge and eat them cold as-needed. But I discovered I love them warm, right after cooking them. I'll either steam them or use a microcooker and LOVE LOVE LOVE the steamy yummy whites. (or does this thought turn your stomach even MORE than cold one?! LOL).

You could also blend them in with protein shakes. I use chocolate flavored bowder and and add soy milk and egg whites and it tastes like chocolate.

Also, if egg whites are not your preference, ask your trainer about tofu if that's a better option. It is also low in calories and has a ton of protein.

Good luck!!

I've added some Mrs. Dash (any type) into mine - not bad at all.

You can also find Egg White protein sold in a powder form to mix in with your protein shakes. They also sell flavored. Just do a search for egg white protein powder.

You can also find Egg White protein sold in a powder form to mix in with your protein shakes. They also sell flavored. Just do a search for egg white protein powder.

Jay Robb makes an Egg White protein powder both flavored and unflavored that is all natural and pretty good.

WOW - great tips - thank you all so much. My trainer would prefer I go with whole food as opposed to the protein posders - but I'm going to check out the Jay Robb one you mentioned. Gayle, honey, I've WATCHED you thoroughly enjoy your egg whites and I think I've cringed every time. :p My trainer likes egg whites in the evening because they are real food, a shot of protein with no fat. I have to try at least. Thanks again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.