Eat to Live website?

GeekyGirl

Hello, everyone. I am new to posting here, but I have been lurking for about 6 months now. I have seen posts from several of you who are following Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live program. I was wondering if anyone here belongs to the member center portion of his website. I am thinking about signing up.

Thanks!

Amanda :)

I am not following it currently, but I plan on slowly implementing what he suggests. I am an aspiring vegan & am very interested in eating a high raw diet. I just need to quit reading about it & start doing it, lol.

> I am an aspiring vegan & am
>very interested in eating a high raw diet. I just need to
>quit reading about it & start doing it, lol.

Hi, Amanda!
I'm a vegan, and getting into high raw as well (at least for the summer!). I've been slowly transitioning by adding more raw foods (replacing "snacks" with raw-food Lara Bars and/or fruit, eating something raw to start each meal). In the last two weeks, I've been able to stick with about 70-95 percent raw.

What raw books have you read and like? I like Rhio's "Hooked on Raw" and Alissa Cohen's "Living on Live Food" (book and DVD--it's nice to see how some of the recipes are prepared) for both info and recipes. I just finished Gabriel Cousen's "Conscious Eating," and while I skipped over some of it, as I'm not into his more spiritual stuff or the aryuvedic body types, I like his scientific info.

Hi, Kathryn. That 70-95% raw sounds great. That is what I am aiming for down the line--75% raw or more. How do the Lara Bars taste? I've heard of them, but I've never had one.

I have Alissa Cohen's book & DVD. You are right--it really helps to see the recipes being prepared. I'll have to check out the "Hooked on Raw" & "Conscious Eating" books. I have a few other raw books--I'm slowly building a library. I have "Rawsome" by Brigitte Mars, "Detox Your World by Shazzi", & "Eating for Beauty" by David Wolfe. I have "Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko on order from Amazon.

> How do the Lara
>Bars taste?

They are yummy! Hard to believe they just have a few ingredients and are all raw. I especially like the 'Cherry Pie" and "Pecan Pie" ones. Though I really haven't found any I don't like!

>I have a
>few other raw books--I'm slowly building a library. I have
>"Rawsome" by Brigitte Mars, "Detox Your World by Shazzi", &
>"Eating for Beauty" by David Wolfe. I have "Green for Life"
>by Victoria Boutenko on order from Amazon.

I have those, too! "Rawsome" was the first one I picked up recently (I read a lot about raw back in the mid-70's, when I first became vegetarian, and even went "all raw" for a short time--2 weeks, but 100%--I was in a very experimental stage! I left all those books with a friend of mine, so had to update my collection). I also have David Wolfe's, "The Sunfood Diet Success System."

I just finished reading Eat to Live. I have a few nasty pounds (just about 5 - 10 around the midsection) and lately have eaten more "vegetarian-like" then ever before. I'm still big into pasta loaded with assorted vegetables and I don't really know if I could give that up. I don't know what to eat without having some pasta with it. I have more versions of pasta primavera that I've made that I could probably write a cookbook.

Okay...here's my question. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cooked vegetables. My favorite method of cooking vegetables is sauteed in garlic and onion or just roasted in the oven. BUT I just don't know how to eat so many raw vegetables. While I enjoy a salad (with my pasta and cooked vegetables) I know that I couldn't make it the bulk of my meal. How do you do it? How do you keep it from getting "old" real fast?

My other problem is the amount of "bloat" I feel with a meal so full of fiber. I mean BLOATED!!!! My abdomen looks like I'm half way through a pregnancy. Lately, I am constantly feeling this way as I've increased my fiber intake to new heights. Any suggestions? Tonight I cooked tofu with sauteed vegetables (I did eat two plates full) and had a very small amount of brown rice with it. That was four hours ago and I'm still so uncomfortable.

These questions probably sound silly to you since you've been doing it for so long. I guess I need to pick up some of the books you mentioned.

Have a great evening!!!

Nancy:)

I've read his book and I agree with everything he says but I also wonder how I would keep from getting bored with the salad.

OH, I've also had the LaraBars and I think they are really good as well. I would highly recommend them.

Nancy-
Since March my food choices have been close to the recomendations of Dr. Furhman, and I did experience the bloated belly feeling some, well many, evenings. It gets better with time. However, my stomach did adjust. I do feel very full occaisionally after dinner. My lunches tend to be a bit samller, and mid-afternoon I have 2 pieces of fruit almost every day. (This is not a Furhman recomendation, although he does recommend 4 or more pieces of fruit per day.) I prefer to spread it out instead of having it in 3 meals only.

The plan has been valuable for me; I have lost 13 or more pounds, and feel more energized doing high intensity cardio sessions.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Thanks for the reply Judy. Wow....13 pounds since March is great!!

So, do you mostly eat RAW vegetables? Do you eat salads or do you mostly "munch" on raw vegetables? I'm confused on how to get a salad "down my throat" as often as he recommends.

Also, do you eat egg whites at all? I don't think I can eat only fruit for breakfast with an occasional bit of oatmeal. And...once you eat that oatmeal, there goes my l/2 cup of whole wheat pasta that night, which I'm not sure I can live without.

I'm going to try to give this my best shot and see how I do. I know it's a healthy way of life so I'd at least like to try it to the best of my ability!!!

Thanks again.......Nancy

Ok, I'm going to have to try the Lara Bars!

I too wondered about how to eat so many raw veggies in one day. In looking through the recipes in the raw books I have, I see there is quite a bit of variety you can have. Some of the recipes are amazingly creative--I was actually surprised. I was fascinated while watching Alissa Cohen's DVD. The food she prepares looks so good.

I've experimented with eating fruit only for breakfast. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but I have done pretty well with that. I usually eat the fruit before I leave for work at 8:00 (or I take it with me to work & eat it around 8:30), & then midmorning I have another piece of fruit or something else, maybe some nuts or a small portion of oatmeal or a piece of toast with a little nut butter. This is on days I don't work out...on mornings when I workout, I like to make a smoothie with fruit, soy milk (I'd like to switch over to homemade nut milk), & pea protein powder. I've gotten away from doing this (& from working out :eek: ), so I need to get back to it.

>I just finished reading Eat to Live. I have a few nasty
>pounds (just about 5 - 10 around the midsection) and lately
>have eaten more "vegetarian-like" then ever before. I'm still
>big into pasta loaded with assorted vegetables and I don't
>really know if I could give that up. I don't know what to eat
>without having some pasta with it. I have more versions of
>pasta primavera that I've made that I could probably write a
>cookbook.

Here's a suggestion: try making zucchini pasta. If you use a vegetable peeler to make strips out of the zucchini, it is very similar to pasta. If you get something called a Saladacco or Spiralizer, you can make thin 'spaghetti' noodles out of it (or yellow squash).

>Okay...here's my question. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cooked
>vegetables. My favorite method of cooking vegetables is
>sauteed in garlic and onion or just roasted in the oven. BUT
>I just don't know how to eat so many raw vegetables. While I
>enjoy a salad (with my pasta and cooked vegetables) I know
>that I couldn't make it the bulk of my meal. How do you do
>it? How do you keep it from getting "old" real fast?

By varying the vegetables used, the textures of them (grated, sliced, cubed, diced), the sauces used on them (guacamole as a salad dressing is my current favorite), sprinkling herbs on top.

>My other problem is the amount of "bloat" I feel with a meal
>so full of fiber. I mean BLOATED!!!! My abdomen looks like
>I'm half way through a pregnancy. Lately, I am constantly
>feeling this way as I've increased my fiber intake to new
>heights. Any suggestions? Tonight I cooked tofu with sauteed
>vegetables (I did eat two plates full) and had a very small
>amount of brown rice with it. That was four hours ago and I'm
>still so uncomfortable.

Did you eat your salad at the beginning of the meal? That's the best time to do it, so the cooked food doesn't slow down the digestion of the raw foods. According to raw foodists, cooked oil and protein is hard to digest.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Okay...today is my second day of trying to follow the plan and, so far, so good. I have been eating as he suggested.

Thanks Kathryn for the suggestion of zucchini taking the place of the pasta. Do you cook it or leave that raw too?

I'm going to have to pick up some of the books suggested so that I can figure out my options. Hmmm....guacamole salad dressing sounds great!

Nancy

>Thanks Kathryn for the suggestion of zucchini taking the place
>of the pasta. Do you cook it or leave that raw too?

It's usually used as a sub for pasta by raw foodists, so they use it raw, but you could steam it lightly (too much, and it will be too mushy).

Thanks again, Kathryn! Yes, zucchini does have a tendency to get mushy - why didn't I think of that.

As I read these boards I often can't believe what a wealth of information that you bring. Thanks for answering everyones' questions!!!:) I'm getting a good education!!!!

I didn't know that tofu could be so bloating. I'll have to remember to see if that happens to me next time I enjoy it. I'll let you know. Thanks.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.