Eat before or eat after??

sunshinegirl

Cathlete
I have a question. If working out at 6:30 p.m., is it better to eat dinner before or after? I can have dinner done and eat by 5:30 and don't have a problem with cramps or digestion. But as I get more into strenght training, I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I keep reading about how important pre and post workout meals are (usually whey protein and small amout of carbs) but I'm not sure how to incorporate dinner. How does everyone else time their meals?

Maybe I'm worried about all of this for nothing but I just don't feel like I've got my nutrition down yet. My goal is to lose fat while gaining muscle. Not an easy task while restricting calories. This is a typical day for me. Any suggestions for improvement?

7:00 1/2 cup Egg Beaters/ Oatmeal

9:30 1/2 cup FF Cottage Cheese/ Apple

12:30 Chicken Breast/ Salad Greens, Small Amount Avacado, Salsa

3:30 1 scoop Whey Protein/ 1/2 Banana

5:30 Chicken/ Veggies/ Brown Rice

8:00 or 8:30 Whey protein if I have calories left for the day

I've been trying eat between 1200 and 1500 calories per day. I've lost 60 pounds but still have more to go (at 185 right now). I've found that I love weight training. It's really addicting! I really thought that I would like cardio more but it's my Cathe weight training days that I look forward to. I'm just hoping to learn more about nutrition and exercise by reading as much as I can and with help from all of you. So, got any suggestions? What is everyone else doing?

Thanks.

You go girl!!! 60 pounds is quite an accomplishment! It sounds like you're on the right track doing what you're doing, especially with the weight loss. Is the meal that you posted something you ate on a pretty regular basis while losing? (Just out of curiosity..) I've got about 10lbs left to go myself and am in the process of "revamping" my daily menu ;) Aren't we all always looking for new and exciting sources of protein?! haha.

My 3:30pm snack (packet of oatmeal and fresh blueberries currently) usually holds me over until I get home from work (approx. 5:30) and I'll usually do my weight training right when I get home if at all possible. Dinner after that consists of chicken breast, fish, etc. so I'm able to get the protein I need right after training. If I end up doing weights *after* dinner, I'll just have a glass of light vanilla soy milk or something equivalent afterwards just to help me re-fuel. I guess everybody's different and has their own preferences (as you'll soon see!).

Just make sure you're getting enough calories in during the day - especially when lifting. Some may tell you that 1200 - 1500 calories per day is too low. I recently figured my recommend daily caloric intake using the Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle method and was *shocked* to find out that it's recommended I get approx. 1900 calories a day in accordance with my lifestyle... I have a hard time doing 1900 (out of pure guilt, I must say) so I keep it around 1700 and am still losing (sloooowwwlllyyy but surely).

We're all here for help and support :)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm not sure how many calories I should be eating. Thats one of the reasons why I don't feel confident in what I'm doing. 1200-1500 calories gives me 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week. And that is exercising 6 days per week. I guess I'm afraid that if I up the calories I will stop losing. But then again, too few and I will be more likely to regain. UGGGGG!!!!!

Hahaha, I hear ya! 1-2 lbs. a week is good stuff! At least it's consistent, right?! Sometimes I get so mad when I hop on the scale and it hasn't moved or only by a few ounces but then I think, "hey, at least it's not going UP!" :7 What kind of workouts are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Mon Cardio/Abs
Tues Legs
Wed Cardio
Thurs Arms/cardio
Fri Cardio
Sat Arms/Legs
Sun Off

Cardio is step aerobics, floor aerobics, or kick boxing. Eventually I want to start running again.

I just do Cathe for weight training. After doing her videos, everyone else seems too easy. I especially like her gym style series and muscle max. I've been trying to hit every muscle twice a week.

Am I doing too much/too little? Ideas?

I live out in the country. The closest gym is a 30 minute drive. I find it easier just to workout at home. But the down side is that I don't have any outside help on nutrition and exercise.

I hear ya with weight training with Cathe. I really enjoy her segments and once I'm done with my present rotation (thanks to FitnessFreak!), I'm going to hop on the P90X bandwagon and see where that takes me. My husband started this week and it's kicking his butt, but he's a big baby :7 Obviously, do what you feel is working for you. You remind me a lot of, well, ME! On the days I'm not weight training, I do approx. 45-60 minutes of cardio, whether it's a step dvd, KPC, Kickmax, etc. I also am fortunate enough to have a Powerhouse Gym across the street from my work so I'll go there 3x/week on my lunch and get a little cardio boost :) I'll do this mainly on the days I weight train or else I feel guilty. (It's all in my head - I know!) I'm waiting for others to chime in on this thread to give you some more helpful hints!!

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Typically what's recommended is to have some protein and carbs after weight training. So, when you lift, save your dinner (chicken/brown rice/etc) until right after your workout. This way, your body is utilizing the carbs by refueling the muscle tissue with glycogen. You can keep the schedule the same for when you do cardio, but I would make sure you get in your protein shake afterwords, regardless if you have calories left.

A super easy way to make sure you're getting enough calories is to add a 0 onto your weight (1850), then add 20% of that number to account for your workouts (1850 + 370 = 2220), then subtract 500 calories for your total daily calories (2220-500=1620). Therefore, you can reasonably go up to 1600 calories and still lose fat. Making sure you get enough protein, at least 180 gms/day, will ensure you maintain muscle while you lose fat.

HTH!!!

Hi Sunshinegirl!

To answer your question from my POV; I don't like to eat heavy before a workout because it makes me feel sluggish, but i don't like to workout on an empty stomach either because you end up feeling dizzy. So what i do is eat something light with carbs in it to give methe energy to get thru the workout. I might have some fruit, like a banana and an energy drink like "Boost energy drink" or even a Nutrament. And then after my workout, i'll have a protein rich meal. But that's just me. Different people have different techniques.

HTH even a little.

BTW, congrats on the 60 lb weight loss. That's quite an accomplishment! Keep it up!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.