DVD Quality Erosion?

Pedmom

Cathlete
Does this happen?

I was really bummed today to find Power Hour + has finally gotten to the point of blurriness beyond what I can stand to look at. It isn't scratched up or warped, it's just really blurry. Very unlike the newer workouts I have.

Is this normal? Is there a way to prevent it? I hate to have to spend money to replace a dvd because of the quality going bad, but I can't see doing any of those beloved workouts again.:(

I'm assuming you tried cleaning it? Some posters have mentioned having to clean their DVDs once in awhile with either Windex or glasses cleaner.

DVDs/CDs have an extremely long life span....25 years is a realistic estimate. Therefore, it probably not disc degradation. My guess is that the disc is an slight older video format and the blurriness is coming from up converting it on your HDTV. Here is an article that talks more about it.

Getting the Most out of DVD on an HDTV Display

If it really is an up converting problem, buying another DVD may have the same problem unless the new DVD has gone through some sort video conversion. Maybe you can test this out by trying to play it on your computer or a different DVD/TV combo.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.