Dulse - why did the price go up?

elsie3

Cathlete
Whoa! I wanted to order some more dulse on Amazon, and the price has gone up by over $11 from when I ordered last year (Marine Coast Dulse pack of 6). Does anyone buy dulse, and where do you get yours?

Thanks!

In my line of work we use a lot of agar (a product of algae) and I've heard rumors of possible shortages due to the tsunami in Japan. Maybe they're related? Does the company source its seaweed from Japan?

Sorry I don't have any brands to recommend, I don't really like the stuff. It's one of my goals to eat more seaweed because of all the nutritional benefits, but that pack of nori has been in my cupboard for a loooong time. :)

Do you have any ethnic/import groceries near you? I've found that a lot of the more "exotic" foods that are a little more pricey at a regular grocery store or health food store can be a lot cheaper at an ethnic grocery.

I've never tried dulse. Can I ask how you use it? What the taste is like? It's the fishy taste that I don't care for with seaweed (or does fish taste like seaweed...? deep thoughts!) and I know that different seaweeds have different levels of it.

[/QUOTE]... It's the fishy taste that I don't care for with seaweed (or does fish taste like seaweed...? deep thoughts!) [/QUOTE]

....and even more important do fish see weeds:p?

Do you have any ethnic/import groceries near you? I've found that a lot of the more "exotic" foods that are a little more pricey at a regular grocery store or health food store can be a lot cheaper at an ethnic grocery.

I've never tried dulse. Can I ask how you use it? What the taste is like? It's the fishy taste that I don't care for with seaweed (or does fish taste like seaweed...? deep thoughts!) and I know that different seaweeds have different levels of it.

Excellent advice. Since I've moved, I'm not familiar enough with the ethnic/import groceries in the area. I will have to do more research.

I had purchased the "Marine Coast" brand based in Maine. Their website says the following: "Due to a number of factors, our supplies of certain wild-harvested sea vegetables are limited."

As for using it, I toss some in my green smoothies. I have to say I don't use it for the taste, but for the nutritional value. I don't think it has a 'fishy' taste, but it definitely has a TASTE. I kind-of like it, especially the more I have it. But I have to qualify that statement by saying that I grew up with salted licorice:eek: (Zoute Drops: We'd get it in our Christmas stockings), and that is definitely an acquired taste. The dulse reminds me of that kind of flavor.

... It's the fishy taste that I don't care for with seaweed (or does fish taste like seaweed...? deep thoughts!) [/QUOTE]

....and even more important do fish see weeds:p?[/QUOTE]

:D:p:rolleyes: Nancy, you made my morning!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.