Dr. phill today

laspark

There was a woman who lost about 162 pounds and was unhappy with the way she looked. She was unhappy with all the extra skin on her body. When you are trying to lose weight, is it possible to do certain exercises that will prevent this. I noticed on the Biggest Loser (the last one) that was not an issue for the contestants. Does losing weight through gastric bypass cause this problem, or this is what happens to anybody who is obese and loses that much weight.

Tia:D

Tia, I don't think there is any way to prevent it. I think it has to do with your skin and your age. My stepson lost 110 lbs. in his mid twenties and had no extra skin. I think his young skin just had that much elasiticity. If he had been much older, he probably would not have been so lucky. She'll probably have to have surgery to eliminate the extra skin. Another good reason not to become obese in the first place, I guess.

Dr. phill offered her plastic surggeons to get rid of the extra skin. She would like to go through with the surgery. I agree. That is a good reason not to become obese.

Tia

Did anyone see Oprah yesterday? She had a woman on there who had lost 300 pounds!! :eek:

She told her story and they showed video of her when she was at her heaviest, which was over 500 lbs. She also showed the hanging skin she was left with after such a massive weight loss. She said it was so bad between her legs, it was like having two basketballs between her thighs. Anyway, she did have surgery to remove the skin and was very happy with the results. They didn't show pictures of the after surgery like they did the before, but she looked great on stage. You'd never know it was the same lady.

Those shows are amazing, aren't they Jeanne Marie? I saw this show on Discovery called the 750 Pound Man. For this guy, a workout was trying to roll over onto his back. And he needed a team to help him do it. Can you imagine if your brain didn't give off a signal that it was satisfied and you were forever in search of the satisfaction that most people take for granted? I've been having nightmares ever since. That level of helplessness scares the bejesus outta me. No wonder I like to workout! :eek:

-Nancy

Nancy..I saw that show the other night about the 750# man...that was SO sad! It scared the sh*t out of me too!

A friend of mine lost 100 lbs. four years ago at the age of 40. She firmed up nicely everywhere but her abdomen. She then had a tummy tuck. She did exercise like a "dog" to lose that 100 lbs. so maybe that helped to keep her firm. Lots of weightlifting. She looks great and I'm so proud!!

I saw this show the other night, too! Was not expecting the sad ending at all. At least for his younger friend, the singer, it had a hopeful ending.

Sue

I think other factors which impact the extra skin are how quickly did you lose the weight and are you exercising to improve muscle tone. I think the issue with the gastric bypass surgery (like many of the calorie-restrictive diets) is you lose weight quickly... probably too quickly. So your skin doesn't adjust. Many of the people who go those routes are also not exercising, and that's a factor, too.

On the other hand, I had a friend who lost about 75 pounds with a restricted calorie diet and exercise, and her legs looked like candlewax. It was so bad she decided to gain the weight back. Very sad.

Marie

My friend had gastric bypass surgery in her early 30's. She weighed about 300 pounds at the time. She's lost a lot of weight and is probably into a size 12 pants now. She still has some extra skin, even after having a complete lower body lift and significant tummy tuck. She has never exercised and did not do so in an attempt to lose weight.

I think she would have less extra skin if she did exercise, but it's my understanding that the skin can only stretch so far and still be able to recover.

Nancy is right. Before I had my lipo last year I did a lot of research on the subject of skin tightening. Basically, it's a case of everyone is different. But, it all boils down to something called "skin memory". The longer the skin is stretched, the more it wants to stay in the position.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.