Dr. Gets Fired Over His Stand on Overeating

ldy_solana

Cathlete
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/ap_on_re_us/us_doughnut_doctor

gosh forbid if somebody could handle the truth! yeah a little over the top b/c i am for a treat every now and then but when ppl are dying from obesity related problems and ppl are honest that its the food and how much of it we eat ppl get a little testy! to think it was his JOB to educated about healthier lifestyles.

for the record i love dunkin' donuts but i don't run ON it, i run B/C of it sometimes :eek:

kassia

Good for him for speaking up. I am tired of hearing about eating healthy and then letting all these corporations sell crap. Now that is definitely a start for health care reform!

Ugghh! This just makes me sick! You can't say anything against those companies that produce foods that are nails in people's coffins, otherwise you get sued or fired - or both.

That one sentence really got to me, "people borrowed money to get into business, and they are being attacked by the government". Ummmh, hello, what am I missing, isn't the government there to protect the citizens? Yeah, don't answer it, I know :mad:

Who gives a crap if they borrowed money, they are making money selling people unhealthy stuff, I have no sympathy for them, none whatsoever!!

I agree with everything except the fact that he singled out a few businesses for attack. There are a bazillion doughnut shops and fried chicken outlets; why should KFC and Dunkin' Donuts take the hit on their own?

I agree with Morningstar. I don't think he should have attacked Dunkin' and KFC directly, but I agree with the message. Attacking the big corporations (not that they don't need it) is setting himself up. But, he does get more press that way!

Nan

I agree with Morningstar. I don't think he should have attacked Dunkin' and KFC directly, but I agree with the message. Attacking the big corporations (not that they don't need it) is setting himself up. But, he does get more press that way!

Nan

i think that is why he singled them out, they may be more of the popular in his town. it had to be said, i guess he wasn't expecting to lose his job over it. i don't think that was fair b/c hey he was doing his job. his job is to educate and put in place programs for healthy living to the public. he was just educating if ppl can't handle the truth i don't see that as his problem.

kassia

I agree with Morningstar. I don't think he should have attacked Dunkin' and KFC directly, but I agree with the message. Attacking the big corporations (not that they don't need it) is setting himself up.
I agree.
I think that's what got him in trouble more than just a general anti-junk-food message.

The doc shouldn't have labeled particular companies, but he does have a right to educate his clients. Perhaps he went a little too far.... BUT, sometimes it takes going a little over the top to reach certain people. Needless to say, many people know what is good for them and what is unhealthy for them. A diet full of doughnuts, fried chicken, and hamburgers isn't going to make you healthy. They teach that to kindergardeners. Some people choose to eat this way regardless of what their doctors or nutritionists tell them!

I think that the funniest thing about all of this is that this story was based out of where I live (Pensacola, FL), but we've not heard word #1 about any of this!!!

Good for him!!

I wish they would replace the vending machines in our schools for healthier snacks and drinks.
There is a macdonalds and Dunkin right across the street.

I am not for his all-or-nothing approach. He must have been a pleasure to work with :confused:! It's pretty much a no-brainer that advertising that a particular brand will kill you will land you in court.

I don't think it's a no-brainer at all, at least it shouldn't be. Is there anything he said that is untrue? I didn't know it was a crime these days to tell the truth, even if you work for the government.

General anti-junk food messages obviously just don't have an effect. We've been hearing general anti-junk food messages for years and with what effect? Aside from the fact that Dunkin and KFC are not only particular brandnames but are also commonly used like Xerox for copiers and Kleenex for tissue.

Just sayin' ;)

Last edited:
I don't think it's a no-brainer at all, at least it shouldn't be. Is there anything he said that is untrue? I didn't know it was a crime these days to tell the truth, even if you work for the government.

Well said. I can't stand that his country is so politically correct and that we cloud the truth with our own selfishness ("Who cares if I sell unhealthy donunts? That doctor slandered my business name! He's so sued"). But if you were the donut shop owner, never ate donutes and lived a healthy life, would you sue the doctor for speaking the truth about your business specifically? Obviously, some people care a lot about the reputation of their business, even if they honestly know the business promotes unhealthy habits. Aaahhh, freedom. Nice, isn't?

I think attacking specific businesses was over the top, but I also think that a radical approach like this that can prove to be more effective than others. He got fired because of the approach he used, but he got a lot of attention for it. Unfortunately, his attacking Dunkin Donuts and KFC specifically and the drama than consequently ensued probably shadowed his original message of eating healthy.

Good thread, thanks for posting.

DD and KFC eaten once in a while will not kill you. Everyone knows that they are probably the least healthy options, though. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or a doctor to tell you that baked chicken at home is better for you than KFC. Posting a large advertisement that a particular product or brand = death is inviting controversy. I think the doc is an attention whore. More people will be swayed by sharing recipes for healthier versions of what they like and weaning them off of junk, rather than messages of doom and gloom.

Well said. I can't stand that his country is so politically correct and that we cloud the truth with our own selfishness ("Who cares if I sell unhealthy donunts? That doctor slandered my business name! He's so sued"). But if you were the donut shop owner, never ate donutes and lived a healthy life, would you sue the doctor for speaking the truth about your business specifically? Obviously, some people care a lot about the reputation of their business, even if they honestly know the business promotes unhealthy habits. Aaahhh, freedom. Nice, isn't?

Okay, but these companies are not breaking the law by selling donuts or fried chicken. I think it's too esay to dump the blame in their laps (oh they are the ones selling it) when they have customers that are BUYING it. Now I agree with his healthy eating message, but he should have known better than to call out specific restaurants and shouldn't be surprised that he was sued.

Let's stop acting like we the people dont know the truth and facts about healthy eating and are little more than helpless sheep.

Okay, but these companies are not breaking the law by selling donuts or fried chicken. I think it's too esay to dump the blame in their laps (oh they are the ones selling it) when they have customers that are BUYING it. Now I agree with his healthy eating message, but he should have known better than to call out specific restaurants and shouldn't be surprised that he was sued.

Let's stop acting like we the people dont know the truth and facts about healthy eating and are little more than helpless sheep.

Well, tobacco companies don't break the law either and there was a massive campaign against them by the government. Quite honestly I don't think there is one bit of difference between Philip Morris, KFC and Dunkin Donuts. Their products kill people!

Don't think just because you or I know a little bit about healthy eating and exercise that the Average Joe or Average Jane knows the same.

I think the majority of Americans do NOT know the truth and facts about healthy eating and the reason is that companies like KFC, Dunkin, etc. are allowed to continue their deceptive advertising and that if you say something against them you will have your pants sued off or lose your job.

I know it's mindboggling but most people do believe what they hear from advertisers. KFC (and others) a couple of years back started to advertise that they don't use transfat anymore. Well, that's nice, but it doesn't make their chicken any healthier, however, if you ask, the majority of people thinks it does. KFC also advertised that their chicken is healthier than Burger King :rolleyes:

Most doctors that I have encountered know little to nothing about nutrition and healthy lifestyle, nor do they educate people about it, instead, you will leave with a prescription for a pill. So who really educates the general public? People like this guy who are trying to educate the public by being direct are shut down.

I think as long as companies have the right to continue their deceptive advertising, people should be allowed to dispute whatever those companies say by using their slogans against them.

Last edited:

i can totally agree with that but then SOME these same ppl can't DEMAND that the government take care of them b/c they have dug their own grave. my MIL did this with smoking,drinking, and poor eating and now she is overweight with issues related to the weight. now she is demanding SSI and free medical care b/c its impossible for her to walk to steps without being out of breath.

i do agree with his overall message which is why i posted the article and even to a point understood why he called it out by name(go big or go home theory i guess). but i really wish ppl overall would say personal responsibility and ppl overall man up to that. we all have busy lives but we on these boards take the time so its hard to understand why others won't. kids in my school actually laugh it off like its a joke and that is sad b/c they are taught what they see at home. its gotta start at home and just telling ppl you eating that everyday is going to kill you then i say he made his point. hopefully somebody got it.

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.