Don't you hate it when instructors...

lrayburn

Cathlete
I usually work out with Cathe but I have been using Brazil Butt Lift and AOS kb dvds too lately. Working out with Leandro made me remember some things that instructors do that drive me nuts:

I hate it when instructors touch the other exercisers in their videos. I understand that personal trainers do this but somehow it creeps me out in videos. More so because it's Leandro and female background exercisers I guess, I don't think it would bother me so much if it was a female trainer but it still bugs me.

It also bugs me when instructors correct the form of their background exercisers. Don't get me wrong, form and form pointers are really important but I think by the time you make it through the screening to be a background exerciser you should already have good form and not have to be corrected during the taping! (Gilad does both of these things too.)

It really bothers me when an instructor gets tired too quickly or acts like the workout is harder than it seems to me! I'm not the most hardcore exerciser out there and understand that a personal trainer does not have to be more fit than the person they are training to be effective but Leandro loses his breath several steps into the workout and then isn't even doing the workout and telling me how hard it is. Likewise, Leslie Bender, who does the Bender Ball workouts, keeps talking about how hard the moves are when I'm not really feeling them yet. Somehow I feel like they should be stronger/fitter than I am if they are putting out dvds!

I initially thought that the lack of explanation in Anthony's kb dvds would bother me and the first time through a new dvd it does. However, I appreciate his brevity when I'm doing the dvd for the gazillionth time and I don't have to hear him explain a basic exercise yet again. I purchased his Clinic dvd and that provided the indepth breakdowns I needed without having it slow down my actual workouts.

One of the reasons that I keep coming back to Cathe is that I don't get annoyed with her during the workouts. What do other instructors do that drive you nuts?

Lisa

I agree - instructors should not touch their students - and especially males should not touch females. Bryan Kest and Mark Blanchard, I'm talking to you!

I also agree it's disconcerting when instructors complain about how hard the workout is - sometimes it can be cute, like when Cathe says "Whoa!" after 375 bicep curls with 50 lb. dumbbells, but it seems a little silly in some of the Firms where they have just done 8 reps with 5 pound dumbbells, their hair and makeup is still totally Stepfordish, they are not breathing hard or even glistening, and the instructor smiles and says "That was hard!!!" It always cracks me up.

Nope, none of that bothers me at all. As long as I am personally getting a good w/o and am not bored to tears with what I am doing then that's all that matters to me.....JMHO:)

When Cathe remarks on how hard a particular move is, it feels genuine, I believe she means it when it was rough to eek out that last rep, and it feels like she "understands" what I'm going through :). Most others comments seem as if it's just part of the script to say how hard and tough their workout is, but of course they could continue just fine.

Yeah, it is creepy when the trainers touch the cast, Jillian Michaels does it too, it's weird. One thing that really bugs me about Jillian, she makes a lot of comments about her jealousy over the background exercisers bodies, their longer legs, or amazing abs that she would love to have. It kind of makes me feel that if Jillian isn't that happy with her body, then what hope is there for me??

Last edited:
Instructor personality is everything! I can't tell you how many videos I've bought that I can't do because I can't stand listening to the instructors.

It also bugs me when instructors correct the form of their background exercisers. Don't get me wrong, form and form pointers are really important but I think by the time you make it through the screening to be a background exerciser you should already have good form and not have to be corrected during the taping! (Gilad does both of these things too.) Lisa

Another perspective: Tony Horton does this in P90X...explaining that the background exercisers know how to do it correctly but will occasionally show common form mistakes that people often make with certain exercises. It gives the home exerciser a visual and makes them think about whether they are doing it correctly. In that respect, it is helpful to those who still need to work on their form.

ITA on being annoyed by instructors who tell us how HARD the workout is. I just purchased a series of Bosu workouts and one with Mindy Mrylea drove me absolutely nuts! She kept saying how this will be the hardest workout we've probably ever done and I could have taken a nap during it!

Last edited:
Another perspective: Tony Horton does this in P90X...explaining that the background exercisers know how to do it correctly but will occasionally show common form mistakes that people often make with certain exercises. It gives the home exerciser a visual and makes them think about whether they are doing it correctly. In that respect, it is helpful to those who still need to work on their form.

I do understand how it can be used a teaching tool but I prefer the way Cathe will explain or illustrate how to do the move correctly/incorrectly herself. I guess its just a personal pet peeve... I haven't used P90X but I like the way you explain Tony using it. I don't like the way Gilad and Leandro correct form on their dvds - it just kind of feels like people are being picked on in public to make a point to me. JMO

Lisa

One of the reasons that I keep coming back to Cathe is that I don't get annoyed with her during the workouts.
Hi Lisa!! Yes, . . .yes, . .and YES! I totally agree. I couldn't stick with P90X even though a lot of people really like it because I couldn't stomach the instructor. Cathe shows good form, is motivating, and does the workout with you.

I agree - instructors should not touch their students - and especially males should not touch females. Bryan Kest and Mark Blanchard, I'm talking to you!

Personally, the touching is ok to me if it is to correct form... But the lingering hand across a girl's stomach or holding right under the breasts really creeps me out.

In one of Mark Blanchard's DVD's he adjusts a guy and the guy gives this look - "touch me again and I will flatten you!" It is funny....

eeeeewwwwww :confused:

except Gilad of course, because when he says "I want to work you out" I'm pretty sure...he means he wants me to workout, hahahaha

& he's so cute, like "did I say something funny?" Like when Cathe says, "You guys are looking great back there, I can hear it!" hahahaha

high fives, fist bump, okay! :D

Linda

Isn't it funny how when you are doing a Cathe workout she'll cheer you on right when you are just about to plop on the group and give up. I love that Cathe is able to show you good form without having to resort to poking and proding the other people working out with her just by talking. Like in Butts and Gutts when you do those one legged lunges and Cathe says "I am burning!" It makes me feel good to know that she is burning along with me.

Usually things like that don't bother me, but I get annoyed in CLX when Chalean does 3 or so reps and then goes and walks around. I'm like, sure I could lift as heavy as you if I was only doing three reps!! I do think she jokes about that in one of the workouts though :)

Isn't it funny how when you are doing a Cathe workout she'll cheer you on right when you are just about to plop on the group and give up. I love that Cathe is able to show you good form without having to resort to poking and proding the other people working out with her just by talking. Like in Butts and Gutts when you do those one legged lunges and Cathe says "I am burning!" It makes me feel good to know that she is burning along with me.

Absolutely! And when Cathe says, "I'm feeling it", I've been feeling it for a while already - not just barely warming up.

Lisa

Oh I love this thread...I totally get so sick of instructors in DVD's who stop what they're doing in the middle of the hardest part of the workout, when you are ready to quit too, and walk around and point out people...Shaun T does it in Insanity! Then he'll lift up his shirt and show off his six-pack and I'm thinking.."I don't know how you have that if all you do is walk around and tell us to dig deeper"

I also hate when instructors yell as if it's boot camp....Gilad does that alot...Intead of just saying " 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, etc"...He screams it like we are all hard of hearing...

As an instructor myself, I appreciate the way Cathe teaches and model my methods after hers because I want to teach the way I like to be taught, and Cathe is definately the best way!

I hate it when the instructors say "okay, we're moving on, let's get our weights" and then don't tell you for ages what we're moving on to, so you don't know what weights to get and then have to scramble to keep up.

I agree. My pet peeve is when they "shout" at you thinking that will make you work harder. That is why I can't stand Jillian Michaels. It only makes me angry not work harder. That's why I like Cathe. She does'nt shout, she encourages you!!

My two pet peeves are instructors that haven't reversed their right and left. I figure if you can have a video you can learn how to mirror your students. Or when they do 2 reps on one side and 20 on the other. Cathe prevents this with Cedie which I think is brilliant. Personally I count on my fingers while I talk and cue.

Honestly the touching and the form corrections have never bothered me in any way - I just see it as more information to take in. And for goodness sake, these people filming videos work with each other very closely for months. If they are not friends or at least VERY comfortable with each other, there would be something wrong. In BBL, I just get the impression they are all having a total blast and enjoying the whole experience.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.