Dog Pulling While TRYING to Go For Walk

carres1973

Cathlete
Janie's thread got me thinking. My 2 year-old mutt, Sandy, has the opposite problem. She pulls pretty much the entire walk. She is pulling me out of the house, down the stairs, down the drive...well, you get the picture! I have watched The Dog Whisperer and it seems most of the dogs I see on there are somewhat trained already. I have been reading about Loose Leash Walking and did try it this weekend. We never got further than two steps before she was pulling! I have tried a regular harness, an easy-walk harness, and a choke collar. She pulls to the point where she is gagging!

Bit of background: we got Sandy from a shelter in September. She had been a stray for God only knows how long.

Any suggestions? Harnesses or collars you have found work well? Techniques? Is it just a case of it is going to take a LONG time for her not to pull and to be patient or might she always be a puller?

The other piece of her behavior is dog agression. She is VERY verbal towards other dogs. For that piece, I am using Cesar's technique of spinning her to not face the other dog, sitting her down and grabbing the back of her neck. It seems to be a little better.

Thanks for any and all advise.

Carrie

BTW - THANK YOU to Fit44 for the Freshpet food suggestion. She has been on that since you suggested it and has not had any "intestinal issues."

One technique I'm familiar with is that you give them little to no lead and when they pull, you stop walking. When they relax, you can go again, always stopping when they pull. Eventually, in theory, the dog will figure out that pulling leads to stopping while walking properly will keep them moving.

One technique I'm familiar with is that you give them little to no lead and when they pull, you stop walking. When they relax, you can go again, always stopping when they pull. Eventually, in theory, the dog will figure out that pulling leads to stopping while walking properly will keep them moving.

I agree. What worked for us was to just give him about 4 inches of leash to deal with. Enough so that he had to walk by my side but wasn't going to choke. When he walks nice, ease up a bit and let out more lease. When the dog pulls, shorten the leash back up. For us, though, it also depends who's walking the dog. Vlad walks pretty good for DH, but pulls more with me. He knows I'm a sucker and DH is more firm. He also loves to run, and he knows that I'll run with him. Go, dog, go!!!!

Nan

Ditto what NY25 said. Trust me this works! I just got back from a 1/2 mile walk and George did wonderful. He did not pull with the exception of the time this snotty 12 year old kid started taunting him on his heely wheeled shoes. Carola gave me some great advice with my body language and demeanor act like you are in charge. Oh my gosh my dog would stop all the time, then he would pull, then stop, then pull. I started very slow and was very patient, . .okay most of the time I was patient. Even if we only walked a few steps. I would alway be the winner and he would lose. I found the more frustrated he got the more her learned. I'm not a big fan of "The Dog Whisperer." I like "It's Me or the Dog." and "Super Fetch." I guess what I am trying to say is that it gets worse before it gets better but be consistent and above all be patient. As with the other dog agression. My dog wants to greet every single dog and human around. He is a bit of an alpha. When I walk I bring his favorite treats and when I see another dog I break the treat out have him sit and focus on me till the other dog or person walks by. When he is calm and the other dog/person walks by he gets the treat. This really works if your dog is food motivated which mine is. Once George starts to associate other dogs/people with good things "treats" I'll phase out the treat and go to verbal praise. Hey I'm a total newbie as far as doggies are concerned but this has helped me. Hope it is of some use.

I agree. What worked for us was to just give him about 4 inches of leash to deal with. Enough so that he had to walk by my side but wasn't going to choke. When he walks nice, ease up a bit and let out more lease. When the dog pulls, shorten the leash back up. For us, though, it also depends who's walking the dog. Vlad walks pretty good for DH, but pulls more with me. He knows I'm a sucker and DH is more firm. He also loves to run, and he knows that I'll run with him. Go, dog, go!!!!

Nan

I agree 100%! Our german shepherds could drag you for miles. With A TON of patience, the pulling gene can be eliminated. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.