Does cardio help leg recovery? How much cardio w/Intensity Series?

LuvCardio

Cathlete
HI there! I need help. I am having problems with lower body recovery with this new series. I think it is mostly because I am working my legs harder and more frequently than I usually do (which is good:))

I am really struggling with the right combo of wt training for lower body? I am wondering if I should do a 2 days a week of cardio only? Since last October I have cut down some on cardio focusing more on wts and had great results.

Just wondering what your experiences have been with this series and if anyone is experiencing the same thing?? And if so, what have you done to help? I particularly have problems with lower body. My upper body seems to recover better.

Funny thing is today I did IMAX2 Extreme and some of the lower body pain seemed to go away! Wondering if it might be the cardio pushin' it out of there?

I bought some betagen yesterday and am hoping that will help as well.

Thanks!
Signed... desparately needing daily leg massage ;(

I don't work my legs more than once a week, so I can't respond to all of your questions, but I was just discussing the cardio/recovery aspect with my BF yesterday. I definitely feel that cardio either immediately following or the day after an intense leg workout can help some people with the amount of soreness they experience. I used to work out at a gym, and whenever I walked home from the gym after a sculpting class, I wouldn't be sore the next day. Same goes for now. I am a bit sore today from doing a leg workout yesterday (you know its bad if you can feel it within a few hours of the workout, and last night I was whimpering!), and I'm sure that after my hike later this afternoon, some of that ouch will be gone. That's my experience. Of course, I would say that if I did a very intense, plyo-based cardio this wouldn't be the case, but keeping it relatively light and long seems to do the trick for me.

I don't like to do hard core cardio when my legs are still acutely sore. Like IMAX...no way. If it involves power moves, or plyometric type stuff I stay away from it. Running is always a good choice, biking coming in second, but rollerblading following dead last. Hiking is also completely out. I would do maybe Rythmic Step and keep the squating movements shallow, or Cardio Kicks, maybe Body Max...but if I was real sore I would either not work out or I would lower the step to 4".

I like to trash my legs when I work out, but remember, the heavier your weight the higher the intensity so realize that you may need some additional recovery time. I find I do just fine with one really heavy leg day (45-60 min of all legs, ala Leaner Legs, S&H+last 20 min Standing Legs, PLB) and then mixing in some lighter leg work such as Power Circuit. Interval work counts to as it works your legs in much the same way. Maybe I will come back here and give you more advice once I find your exact rotation..I know you posted it..
Janice

hiking

Hi Janice,
I just wanted to clarify my post, in which I said that my hike later today would help with my leg soreness. I completely agree with you that a tough, plyo-based and/or intense cardio would not be too smart if your legs are hurting. I wouldn't climb Squaw Peak or Camelback today! But moderate hikes like those in the Dreamy Draw area are (to me) less intense than Rhythmic Step or Cardio Kicks and defininitely Body Max, don't you think? I'm honestly just wondering how you see this.
(You do live in Phoenix area, don't you?? If not, please ignore! :) )

Hi,
I have found that if I am feeling really stiff, after a tense workout, if I do cardio after, it helps loosen up the tight muscles and I seem to recuperate faster and have very little soreness. Sometimes when I have done cardio before weights, I will just add on something like the step portion of CTX 10,10,10, which is only around 10 minutes and it makes a difference.
Diane Sue

Hi LuvCardio,
I personally like to put at least 2 days rest between my lower body workouts I find my legs just need the extra rest probably because I like to train them hard. This helps tremendously with my recovery. I will usually do either an upper body workout the next day and a cardio only day that following day before I do another lower body workout. Try that and see if it helps.

I agree with another post here that doing some light cardio for 15 minutes right after you finish your heavy leg workout seems to help flush out the lactic acid and prevent that serious soreness. I use a 4 inch step and do the warmup and cool down from Powermax for that. When I worked out the gym I walked on the treadmill about 3.5 mph for 15 minutes. It really helps.
Beth

RE: hiking

Hey Wendy..
Yeah, no way Camelback!!! No way Squaw Peak, but yes for Dreamy Draw. However I would stay on the flatter terrain and run. I do agree also that they are less intense. CK is harder for me cardiovascularly though.

Camelback Mountain is one continuous lunge. Definitly a leg day in and of itself!!:)

Janice

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.