Does anyone have curly hair?????

lorihart

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering what do you do with it? I have had curly hair all of of life and I have gotten use to it.It is really long and it doesn't take much time to do b/c I let it dry on its own.But I have to use a fair amount of gel.If not,it just goes frizzy.
But I am getting alittle bored with it.I know its what God gave me, but I can't even change the style.If I go to short,its just to much work,and if I stay long,I will look the same forEVER!
Well.....yesterday,I went out and bought myself one of those expensive straightners (i don't know if I spelled that right:) )When I got home I did my hair.It took about 45 min to do.But then when I was finished I noticed that about 5 inches of my hair needed to be cut off in order to make the straight hair look healthy.When its curly you don't notice the dry ends.
Now I am wondering, should I take the pludge (but then when its curly it will look awfully short)or just leave well enough alone.
So, I was just wondering,someone out there must have curly hair besides for me! I was just wondering what you did with yours? Its hard to keep hair straight while being so active.
Any thought?????
Lori:)

Hi Lori,
It depends on how often you're going to wear your hair straight. If you're going to wear it straight more often, then I'd cut at least 3 inches off. I NEVER cut my hair more than an inch or two no matter how dry the bottom of my hair is. Also, there is something called the Japanese whatever....(hopefully someone here will remember) It's an all day process and your hair will be straight for 4-6 months. It's kind of expensive. I don't know if you have it over in England but here we have that. People rave about it but the process can be very tiring. I think it's 6 or 8 hours process. x( I've never had that done but I did get a perm and it ruined my hair. Made it so dry. NEVER EVER AGAIN! I think you would look great either way. It's a personal preferance. :)

Lori-
There's a mid-way between very long and short. I have very curly hair and always kept it very short to save time and effort. I only started really enjoying it when I went to a fabulous stylist who loves and specializes in curly hair. I still can't believe I hated my curly hair all my life and that it took me this long to start enjoying it. But better late than never. The hard part is finding a truly fabulous stylist, but it's worth the effort!

Hotspur--it's thermal straightening. I live in the NYC metro area & it costs at least $800 here. Probably more expensive than other places. There's also some kind of ionic--I believe the brand is Bioionic--straightening out there that is supposed to be better b/c it's made for caucasion hair.

Lori--I have very curly hair, but it's fine & soft. However the shorter it is the curlier it gets (I call this the Buckwheat syndrome). I wear my hair long & have this ridiculous coctail to defrizz. I use a curl specific shampoo & conditioner (usually Alterna, Phytospecific, Ouidad or Kerastase). Then I put Terax Lifedrops (dime or quarter sized, depending on humidity) & Rusk Sheer Brilliance & wrap in a towel while I finish my morning routine. After I unwrap I use Phytospecific Beauty Styling Creme (of all the products I mention here this is the most important--this stuff is miraculous) & finish off w/a few spritzes of Rusk Shining. Then I used an ionic hair dryer w/a diffuser w/fingers to dry.

OK it sounds like a lot but it really works. I would not recommend getting your hair cut short. I did it once & really regretted it. Also I would not recommend the flatiron--it's incredibly damaging to your hair. If you watch the pros use it you'll notice they're very fast b/c leaving it on your hair for a second too long will do serious damage.

Over the years I've learned to love my curly hair. It's what makes me ME! I've always been "the girl w/the curly hair." Who would I be if I got it straightened? LOL! If your bored & just need a change, why don't you try some highlights or brightening up your color?

Yeah,it is about personnel perference.Maybe if I only cut 2 inches off it will look better.It is VERY long when it is straight.If my hair were naturally straight,I would never have it that long.I am not in England, I am in Canada.I would never go with a permenant straightener.Must cost a fortune to!
I thought your hair was curly Nancy.I learned to like my hair when I was about 18.I had to learn to like it....you don't really have a choice.I am just trying to decide if I want to cut that much off of my hair!
Thanks girlies,
Lori:)

Sorry :) I get confused who's from Canada and who's from England sometimes.

If you only cut 2 inches off, it'll look better. What about adding layers to your hair? When I had the perm, my stylist always cut my hair in layers so it would look better. Then again, it depends on the person's facial structure. Do you use a silkiner? It's some kind of "gel" to make your hair softer and more relaxed. It helps to stop making it frizzy. I used that a lot when I had the perm.

Maximus, here on Long Island, the place I go to does it for 600 dollars. It depends on where you are in. I would not be surprised if the midwest is a lot more expensive.

I go to a salon that does the straightening too. It takes a LONG time (I've heard some people have been there up to 10 hours) and is very expensive. I also saw one of those news shows on TV where a bunch of women had terribly damaged hair because of the treatment. The damage could have been caused by an unexperienced person providing the service rather than the treatment itself. Regardless, I wouldn't want to take the chance :) Of course, if curly hair really bugs you and you've tried everything else, then you might be willing to take the risk.

I have cury hair too (but not very, very curly). It can be straightened by simply blowing it straight with a brush. Of course, I never do that because it is too much trouble and hurts my wrist :) My hair looks frizzy sometimes, but product helps. I might have to try Maximus's defrizz coctail!

I tried my hair short but hated it (gets more curly). Now I have also learned to love my curly hair. I just pretend it looks like Debra Messing's (Grace from Will & Grace). Of course, that is in my own mind :) But, whatever keeps me happy, right?!

Also -- I liked my hair a lot better after experimenting with color and highlights. So, I like Maximus's suggestion about that too! I would also suggest seeing a professional stylist instead of trying something at home!

Good luck!

BTW, when is the curly hair coming back into style?! This straight hair thing has gone on long enough ;-)

Shonie

Yup yup- thermal reconditioning aka Japanese straightening. I've been getting it done for the past few years in NYC. It's about $500 at most salons. If you go somewhere with a big name like Peter Coppola or John Frieda, it's upward of $800 at least. The hair that's been treated stays straight forever, but you do need to get the new growth straightened every 6 months or so. My hair is very curly and frizzy. I actually like the curls- it's the frizz that kills me! After much trial and error and a ton of research, I found an awesome salon and stylist. No frizz, air dry- such a pleasure- but only if you like super straight hair :)

Hi Maximus,

The other process is called Bio-ionic. Even though you aren't planning to get that done, I want to caution everyone who happens to read this thread that the Bio-ionic process is truly horrendous. My first straightening was at DePasquale in Morris Plains NJ- a very she she (SP?) salon. Little did I know that the process only takes 80% of the curl out, unlike true thermal reconditioning that takes it out 100%. I read a lot of boards about TR, and like my experience, the great majority of people who've had it done usually refer to it as a nightmare. Hair was still frizzy- a weird look in between straight/wavy- and looks more damaged with time. Yuck :(

Shonie,

The damage stories are unfortunately true. I've been there- with crunchy scraggly over processed areas. Now that the process is so popular, salons everywhere are offering it but do not have the necessary experience to do it correctly.

Lori,

One of my favorite shampoo/conditioner combos when my hair was totally curly was Back to Basics Get Curly. It did a great job of making my curls look more defined. I always used tons of conditioner to weigh my hair down, and I never fully washed every last drop out. Like others have mentioned, a diffuser is a good tool also. Leave in conditioner- a little serum- gel too- make a cocktail as Maximus suggested!

If you go for layers, you may want to try just getting your hair angled or lightly layered around your face first. Good luck!!!

Edited to say that usually the only way to get that Debra Messing look is to use a curling iron to smooth the roots a bit, control the direction of the curl, and touch up the pieces that are frizzy.

Oh nonono, no layers! Then you get that poofy triangle look. Trust me. It looks insane.

Well $600, what a bargain! :p I don't know how anyone could afford that a couple times a year. I'd much rather put my money into my house LOL. A better investment if you ask me.

Hi Gina--I have a girlfriend who had it done & she just loves it. But I've heard horror stories too. We're always talking on this board about how our bodies are different b/c of genetics, & obviously it's true about hair too. My hair is very curly but superfine, & therefore damages easier. So, like I said, I've learned to love my curls & work with them instead of against them.

I think someone else mentioned the importance of a stylist. I moved a few years ago & had the hardest time finding someone I liked. Every time I saw a curly haired woman w/a good style I'd get a referral & end up hating the results. Finally I just called an upscale salon near me & asked if they had someone who specialized in curly hair. They did & I love my guy now.

I actually went to Ouidad in Manhattan when I first moved to the area to get their special haircut. Let me just say it was the worst haircut I ever had in my life! It cost $100 (not including tip) & the cut was just awful. I mean, the cut & style itself took 2 hours--are any of you willing to spend 2 hours styling your hair? Not me--10 minutes max for me! And after I just couldn't get my hair to lay right. Sometimes the experts get it all wrong.

LOL- I have a friend that lives in SO and has curly hair also. We always referenced salons to each other but never found anyone that did the trick. A few years ago, for her birthday, she went to Ouidad, paid the big bucks and didn't think the results were anything special. I also gave her a Ouidad starter kit, but the products weren't worth the hype, either.

I'm not big on layers, either. I believe it was around the time of "The Rachel" (what were we thinking?) that I got long layers. Awful! Still, in every magazine, I read layer this, layer that, but for me, it doesn't work. I guess over time we learn (the hard way) what works best for us. I still struggle trying to justify the expensive straightening every year, but overall, it's worth it for me. I'm not high maintenance, and this actually helps me be more low-maintenance. I figure that all the money I would have spent each year on tons of products makes up for the straightening a bit. That's what I tell myself, anyway lol.

Tell your friend to try Alex at Subway in Millburn. He rocks.

Yeah I think for curly hair layers can only work from the chin down, otherwise it just gets way to big & unmanageable. Just b/c I'm from Jersey doesn't mean I want Jersey Girl hair!:+

Lori:

whatever you do, definitely get those dry 2-3 inches trimmed off. Over dry hair is breakage waiting to happen and splits on the hair merely travel up the hair shaft, weakening the structure. Curly hair is one thing, frizy, over dry split hair is something else.

I agree with the suggestions about a good stylist to help you love your curly hair and a cocktail of products to ddefine the curl and eliminate the frizz.

I would pay anything to have curly hair like yours! My mother passed it on to my brother, who just crew cuts it: what a waste!!! I missed out on the genetic lottery there!!

Clare

Hi Lori,

I have had good luck keeping my (long curly) hair healthy by using
Aubrey Organics products and using jojoba oil, hemp oil, shea butter
and hemp butter on it. I have it trimmed about every 8 weeks or so.
I still have days where I don't like all the curls but at least it
looks healthy. Aubrey Organics is available in health food stores
and they have their own web site too. The oils and butters may be
found at some health food stores. I get mine from soapmaking suppliers. My hair will frizz a lot if I use any other products on it.

Cindy

I have curly hair and all I use on it is a bit of Sebastian Potion 9 (leave in conditioner) and then I might use some shine serum just to smooth out the frizz.

I've gotten my hair straighted with the same chemicals that are used in a perm..I definately don't recommend that..it will completely go back to normal after you wash it (even after waiting the recommended 48-72 hrs or whatever it was).

I've come to like my hair curly and I've realized now that an expensive haircut gives me the same results as a cheap haircut. So I've been going the cheap route lately.

I would like to know some other things to do with it, I haven't quite figured it out yet. I've asked stylists 'What could I do if I wanted to cut it short?' and they never have a good answer for me, just that I should keep it long to keep control of the curls.

My mother has short curly hair and it looks good but I don't think I could pull off the same style.

I have curly hair and all I use on it is a bit of Sebastian Potion 9 (leave in conditioner) and then I might use some shine serum just to smooth out the frizz.

I've gotten my hair straighted with the same chemicals that are used in a perm..I definately don't recommend that..it will completely go back to normal after you wash it (even after waiting the recommended 48-72 hrs or whatever it was).

I've come to like my hair curly and I've realized now that an expensive haircut gives me the same results as a cheap haircut. So I've been going the cheap route lately.

I would like to know some other things to do with it, I haven't quite figured it out yet. I've asked stylists 'What could I do if I wanted to cut it short?' and they never have a good answer for me, just that I should keep it long to keep control of the curls.

My mother has short curly hair and it looks good but I don't think I could pull off the same style.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.