Does anyone experience Vertigo?

Fitness-Mom

Cathlete
Does anyone here experience Vertigo. Friday night out of the blue (around 12:30 a.m.) I all of a sudden got dizzy, unable to walk straight, fullness feeling in my right side of my head. Not knowing what it was (since I was never dizzy like this before) I had BF take me to the ER. After blood work/CT Scan they said it was most likely vertigo. He mentioned that I was one of the first that ever came in w/ Vertigo and also running a fever. I asked if this was ok, and he said, "Yes, vertigo usually comes w/ a fever at times, but he doesn't see it too often. I felt really stupid dragging my BF out of the house, but at that time I didn't know what else to do. They did notice also w/ the bloodwork that I was dehydrated. I thought this was odd, since I always, always have a water bottle with me....I drink at least 80-100 oz of water daily.

Now, I have my entire family harping me about my nutrition/exercising. I'm not obsessed, but I do workout 5-6 days a week, and eat clean the majority of the time....they are thinking I am over doing it. Do you think the dehydration/Vertigo had anything to do w/ my healthy life style. I know that sounds strange, but my family is swearing I should back off of exercise...they are driving me nuts!!

Thanks!!

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Hey Jennifer, glad to hear your okay. I've had vertigo too. No fever associated with it though. Mostly when I'm dehydrated, or when the weather is to hot. Maybe you should see your general practice doc about your vertigo. Mine pretty much just says to drink all the time, before I become thirsty and to not go running in the afternoon when the sun is at its hottest. I workout 5 days a week for 1-2 hours a day and eat clean, but isn't that what everyone should do?? I'm surprised your getting resistance from your family. Could they possibly feel bad that they have not yet followed in your example of healthy living?

I feel your pain! It is miserable isn't it? I have had it a couple of times, and made an ER visit too about 5 years ago. Typically I get it when my sinuses are all full or I have an ear infection - you may have fluid in your ears since one side of your head felt "full". I know a man that had it so badly that he went in and sat on the floor in the bathroom of a gas station! He had to go to the ER in an ambulance. He got it due to double inner ear infections after being on the flat of his back for many weeks due to a back injury!

I would ask your family doctor if he/she thinks that you are over doing the exercise thing. I have to say that I've never had a doctor tell me this - even when I was working out that regularly.

I sometimes have bouts of vertigo. It began about 5 years ago after having the flu. I keep meclizine (prescription) on hand just in case. That usually takes care of it.

I do experience vertigo occasionally, mostly when climbing stairs. But it's also happened a few times when I was sitting still in a chair. Most of the time it is mild and passes after several seconds. But it was a little more intense a few days after my last cruise. I felt like I was going to throw up.

I believe it is an inner ear or central nervous system issue, not something that can be triggered by too much exercise. :) I would ask your doctor, and that way you can pass it on to your fam. :)

[font face="bradley hand itc" size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/th_SnowBunny_tns.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

I've had it too. It usually comes on when I'm having sinus issues (even if I don't notice them at the time). I bet you were slightly dehydrated because of the weather change. Yesterday I found myself dehydrated after being outside for a little while. I was drinking my usual amounts of fluid but I guess my body needed more to deal with the heat. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It should go away soon.

Carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.