DO you workout on vacation?

jzsnow

Cathlete
My birthday is coming up on the 12th and we are going to gatlinburg, tn for a long weekend. Any time I take time off, and this will be 4 days off, then I have a really hard time getting back into it. So, tell me what you do for workouts during vacations.

I did just order KPC, so I could take it with me I guess.
Jessica

When i went to florida with some friends last year, My girlfriend and I went for some walk/ runs in the am. I didnt make it my priority every day to get excercise. You should really enjoy your time off. Its okay..Cathe will be there when you get back to kick your ARSE!! I find when I have more time off from working out I enjoy my workout more when i get back.

Melissa

Are you staying at a hotel that has fitness facilities? I always work out on vacation. Even if there is no gym, I take my running shoes and run. KPC is a good one to take, because only the abs section needs equipment and you can modify all the ab exercises to be done without the stability ball.:)

HA! Last year I took my laptop, a few weights, and some Cathe DVDs and worked out in the campground. I am sure I look pretty silly kickboxing in front of an RV but I didn't care as I was having fun.

I went away a couple of months ago. I used the elliptical, treadmill and spin bike and I swam a little bit. I also wrote down exercises I could do without equipment. Did some core work in my hotel room. Brought my bands with me but never got to use them. I would've liked to have done more but just didn't have enough time and after all, vacation is supposed to be vacation...

Your body deserves a rest every once in a while too.

Marcy

It depends on the vacation. If the hotel has fitness facilities or the location lends itself, I'll try to fit in a run. When we visit family, I take DVD's along and work out. I have a cheap step stored at several of my family member's houses. But if I'm going somewhere tropical like the Virgin Islands, I become decandent and don't work out. We do a lot of hiking and snorkeling on those trips though, so I never feel like I've fallen behind. The first time we went to St John, I tried to go running. The roads are narrow, twisty and STEEP. I thought my heart was going to burst and my legs were tingley after the first hill. I turned around, ran back to the room and have never tried it again.

ETA: What a dope I am. If you are going to Gatlinburg, you have the the whole Smokie Mountain Natl Park to hike in. That should be a great workout.

If I ever get a vacation I'll let you know:p ;(

Seriously, though, I've never gone out of my way to do a workout while on vacation, but I usually feel like I get plenty of exercise by virtue of all the walking I do while sightseeing and such. I've never gained weight on a vacation either.

I work out more on vacation than I do when I'm working.......my life is so frantic during the week, when I take a week off I really enjoy being able to exercise without having to squeeze it in early in the morning, between this meeting or that meeting, late at night, etc. etc.

Well, we are staying in a cabin, so no facilities there. We are going to the mountains, but we have a 2 year old and a 3 month old, so hiking is out of the question. I would hate to lose a kid! I am sure a lot of walking will be involved since Gatlinburg is really just a big long strip. Pushing the double stroller will be work too I am sure.

Now that I think of it, it seems like we saw women pushing their strollers on a hike we went on last time we were there (our honeymoon)

What do you think about hiking with the double stroller??
Jessica

I'm like Shelley, I ALWAYS workout out on vacation. I makes everything more enjoyable to me. If the hotel has a fitness room, I do treadmill and free weights everyday with my ipod loaded with good stuff. (To me, that's a vacation in itself, but then again, I iron my sheets:7 ). If it's Colorado or New Mexico, mountain biking or turbo hiking everyday. If none of the above, but you have a fairly tall hotel, I do the stairwell. Take the steps up two at a time until you just can't, then finish at as fast a clip as you can, then run down as fast as you safely can and repeat over and over for about 30 minutes or so. This is one of the best workouts ever, by the way...x(

That depends. If we're on a cruise and there is a fitness center, I will work out there.

Typically, DH and I take very active vacations. We scuba dive, hike, walk and swim. So, if it's that type of vacation, I count that as my exercise. Although, I will try to squeeze a couple of ab workouts in :) if that's the case.

Yes, I do. If we're at a hotel w/ facilities, I'll use the gym. We went to WI Dells last summer when I was training for a marathon so I used the hotel treadmill. If we're going to my Mom's, I use her treadmill, run outdoors, or pack some DVD's w/ me to work out (althought she only lives an hour & a half away). KPC is a great one, that's my standard to take when I'm going to my Mom's. I take my ankle weights so I can do some of Legs & Glutes also.

As for hiking, we've always hiked w/ our kids. Do you have a backpack carrier or sling??? It's really easy to take them in that & you get a double workout carrying them around! I did that when we went to Disney World a couple yrs ago- hauling around a 9mo in the sling most of the day wore me out! I don't know about hiking w/ a stroller, but at least you could get out for some nice walks!

Have a great time!

I always workout on vacation. I use whatever facilities the location offers plus snorkling and walking. It's much less intense and definately not as long as Cathe workouts - just enough to keep the blood pumping and to justify those yummy cocktails on the beach!

Have a great vacation! And don't feel guilty if you just relax and enjoy the scenery! ~jasper

Hi Jessica
I am going away next week I bring my portable dvd player and some Cathe dvd's with me I walk and try to use the gym at the Hotel too.
Pack exercise bands they are great for travel.

Susan G.

No, I don't. I like to incorporate activities into our trips. We usually go to places where we walk a lot (NYC and Italy, recently) or get some other exercise (kayaking when we go to the beach).

I would think that you'll be walking a bit, won't you? And, since you'll be in the mountains, I would think you might be able to get some nice uphill walking in.

My vacations are workouts. Hiking, hiking, hiking! When we went to Maui we didn't even lay on the beach. I hiked every hike in the little blue book. Can you tell that I am the reluctant hiker?

Cheryl

Hi Jessica
I agree with Jess. My husband and I went to Gatlinburg a couple of years ago with a 3 and 1 year old. We strapped them on our backs and hiked away. The kids loved it and they even took their naps in the backpacks! HTH.
Eren

When we go to the beach the only workout I get is walking on the beach I usually mak ethis my rest week. We are going to Disney in April and we walk all day so that is my workout. The last time we went to Disney I ate whatever I wanted and lost three pounds when we came back. Hopefully that will happen again:)

Steph

If the hotel where we are staying has a decent finess facility, we'll use that, otherwise we will hunt far and wide for a decent gym. We've been vacationing in Europe lately, and let me tell you, it can be quite challenging to find a gym that isn't too far away and that opens early enough. Some of our best vacation stories involve the use of gyms where no one speaks English and where it's next to impossible to figure out how some of the equipment is supposed to be used.

If we go away for just a short weekend, however, we'll try to fit in a workout at home before we leave and then not worry about it.

Shelbygirl

I sometimes workout on vacation and sometimes not.

Sometimes, if I workout intensely before, and it's time for a break, or if it's a short trip, I don't worry about working out, especially since I do lots of airport walking (I cart all my own luggage, walk the hallways rather than use the moving sidewalks---unless I'm in a hurry to catch a plane, then I walk on the moving sidewalks, and don't let them carry me along like a passive lump, use stairs, walk places). Taking a break is a good thing, and often allows you to come back with more energy and intensity.

I also make it a point of trying to work walks into my stay, either to scope out the area, or to get around from one place to another.

When I do workout, I use the hotel fitness center, or sometimes do an in-room workout.

Some in-room workouts that have worked well for me:
1) lower body workout with walking lunges (in a particularly wide hotel room I had!), and using gliding discs for various types of lunges and squat variations. The gliding discs fit very easily in a suitcase, even a smaller carry-on, and work great on hotel carpets. You can even use them for challenging push-ups, putting one hand on one disk and moving that hand in and out, or putting each hand on a disc and doing 'flyes' in the push-up position.

2) band/tubing workout: last week, when I was away from home for 3 days to give a workshop, in addition to an hour-long walk one day, I did an in-room resistance tubing workout. I did bicep curls, seated rows (seated on the floor, with tube looped around the leg of the elevated bed, doing both regular rows and high back rows--elbows out to side to hit the upper back more), tricep extensions, overhead presses (kneeling on the band, doing one arm at a time), and front and side delt raises (again, kneeling on the band), as well as push-ups and squats.

I've also done step-ups onto a sturdy chair (not always possible!) and some kickboxing moves (when I'm in a big enough room---on hotel I stay at is kind of a business-person's training session room with no room to do any kind of workout, so I use the nice fitness center).

Depending on where you are, and how long you are staying, you could also buy a day pass for a local gym.

Since it's only 4 days, I say plan activities that allow you to walk alot, and don't sweat not getting in an 'official' workout. Maybe it will be warm enough for biking? Or hiking?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.