Do you use a BOSU ball?

Calee

Cathlete
I just got back from a follow-up with my orthopedic surgeon. I've had two knee surgeries in 2 years and REALLY don't want to start a trend here. The issue is that I have "bad rubber on my tires" so to speak, the cartilage in my knees shreds so easily. He suggested I try workouts on a Bosu instead of such deep squats and lunges. I'm up to try it but don't want to invest in something that I won't use.
What do y'all think?

We're all built a little different, but here's my $.02

I also had 2 knee surgeries on my left knee, about a 2 yrs apart. I pretty much have no cartilage in my left knee. Most days it doesn't bother me, every now and then (when the weather's changing) it does.

Things I can't do

BOSU - OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! For days on end afterwards. The physical therapist actually gave me one of their extras. I'm glad it was free. This even hurt my good knee.

Biking - flat is good, uphill is OW.

Swimming - 1st off, I can't really swim, I'm a dog paddler :p but the kicking motion in a "real" swim causes my knee to ache.

Knee pushups - it just feels weird

Low Max - causes achey knees the day after

Things I can do -
Run, jump, skip, hop, step, step, kickbox, lift heavy, yoga (yick), mambo, cha-cha, strut in my high heels, and the electric bugaloo :p:p

I'm a no-go on the BOSU.

Nan

ETA: My ortho doc told me I really shouldn't do all the impact-y stuff, but the therapist said I can do what I want as long as it doesn't bother me. I chose to listen to the PT. When I'm not active, things get achey, too.

Last edited:
Calee,

I have never had knee surgery, but my knees will ache if I overwork them. I have a Bosu and I enjoy it, but I sometimes feel that the instability of the surface puts stress on my knees.

If you have bad knees, I don't think I would recommend a Bosu just because it's so easy to torque your knees while using one. However, it IS a forgiving surface.

If they were less expensive I would say to give it a try. Otherwise, no.

Kim

What about trying a step-mat? The thing that is the size and shape of a step but it's just a mat. So you can do the same workouts, just on a flat surface?

MC

Hi Calee,

I thought I HAD to have a BOSU until I actually got one.:p I went through PT for a knee injury that wouldn't heal on its own, and the PT had me doing lunges/squats on the BOSU, so I bought one. Personally, I think it's great for that and in general for improving balance (especially if turned upside down). I just don't use mine like I thought I would, and definitely not for cardio, as it's too unstable for my knees. But if it helps you through your recovery it might be worth the investment for the lunges and squats.

FWIW, I found mine at a second hand sporting goods store for $50 that was in great condition.

Hope that helps!

Julie

I'm so glad I asked before I went out and bought one! Thanks for the heads up.
and Nan- thank you especially for the list of your can and can't do's!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.