Do you have Friday off?

Great idea, HB. That's definitely the way to go for gifts.

Christine, I grew up in Bergen County. Small town right next to Paramus, the Shopping Capital of the World. I have to go look on a map to remind myself where Cranford and Freehold are (but I'm guessing you didn't have too far to go for the Road Trip).

-Nancy

>Christine, I grew up in Bergen County. Small town right next
>to Paramus, the Shopping Capital of the World. I have to go
>look on a map to remind myself where Cranford and Freehold are
>(but I'm guessing you didn't have too far to go for the Road
>Trip).
>

How funny! My dad worked in Montvale and I had some great friends up in that area...Saddle River, Wayne, Paramus, Teaneck. Cranford is about 40 minutes south on the Garden State and Freehold is about 30 minutes beyond that (down Route 9).

Dear Grumpy, LOL.

I find my mother draining. I never realized how negative she was until recently.

Chin up, girlfriend. The holidays are temporary.

> at the very least we have each other, but I grew up in
>a huge Italian family and I really miss them this time of
>year.
>
>

Carol,

This is my life to a tee (except I don't have children). I grew up in a huge Italian family with deeply rooted traditions, but my parents and grandparents are all gone now and my siblings live 3 hours away. Most of my aunts and uncles have passed on as well. I've had to start new traditions and it's kind of bittersweet. I really miss my folks and this time of year seems to heighten those feelings.

Michele

Thanks Michele and Nancy! It's nice to know people understand.

Turns out I may not have to worry about the dreaded bigot tomorrow. We're supposed to get up to two feet of snow overnight!! My SIL won't drive in bad weather - even the 15 minutes to my house. We could be feeding ourselves and the cat turkey tomorrow!!

Anyone else in the path of a snow storm???

Carol
:)

Friday will be anything but a day off for me! It will probably be my busiest day in recent memory---I work at a department store. The alarm is going off at 3:15am so that I won't be a minute late to open the doors to all the shoppers!

lisa

And these mothers wonder why we avoid them! I did not have a good relationship with my mother, and do everything in my power NOT to treat my kids like she did with me. My dad seemed grouchy all the time when he was married to her, and now that she's gone he's a totally different person. Much happier, much more laid back. He has a good relationship with his former high school girlfriend who is MUCH better suited to him. They've been happy as clams for over 6 years now.
Just Do It! :)

Wow Lis... 3:15 OUCH!

I've got the day off. Not sure what I'll do. My house is a mess! So much to do. My ex comes for thanksgiving (good for the kids).

Wow.. I wish I had too much of family. It's just us.

- Robyn

Honeybunch,

Good for your Dad. I think when you and me and Candi were young, all women got married and had kids, whether or not they were suited for it. I do believe that the mothers today tend to be better, because they tend not to feel like they have to have kids. The moms I see of the younger generation have kids because they REALLY want them. And, in general, they are much better Moms. My brother and SIL, for example, are so great at being parents I think they should teach a course. It's a lovely thing to watch my nieces and nephews grow up.

My Mom was 20 yrs. old when she had me and she was a party girl. Having me put her party days to an end. She was just a kid, really, without an identity, without a career, and now without her social life. No wonder she resented me. To this day, she still makes me feel like the reason for all the world's problems. But the truth is, none of it is my fault. All I did was get born. And I had no control over that.

Okay, getting a little too deep here. But, anyway, I applaud all the great Moms out there, and I know these Cathe boards are filled with them!

Happy Thanksgiving all!!

I'm feeling a lot less grumpy today!

:D

-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.