Do I have any neighbors close to NC??

.. and I agree! Chapel Hill/Carrboro is one of my favorite places. My friend and I go two-three times a year. There's nothing like a college town.

I live in Central NC (Greensboro)

Cee

"If I don't stop, I have not failed."

My family, brother, aunt and uncle and cousins all live in Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point area does that count? Sorry though I live in PA, but I went to high school (foothills of NC), college at UNCA and got married in NC. That should count for something;-) We visit occasionally but not as often as we should:+

Glad to meet you:7

I don't live in NC yet but we're moving at the end of this month. We're not sure which part we're moving to. My dh is retiring from the military and we can pretty much pick where we'd like to be, depending on the job he gets. I love the Raleigh area. It's so nice there. We're also checking areas around Greensboro. My family lives about 50 miles north of there, near Martinsville, VA.

I'm just one opinion, but I think the quality of life would be much higher in Raleigh than Greensboro. Greensboro is something of a cultural wasteland where Raleigh has a lot going on, and is closer to Durham and Chapel Hill, which also have some interesting activities and locations.

The Triad is more working-class, economically depressed and culturally monotone than the Triangle. I've lived here 35 years, but YMMV.

Replying to all my NC neighbors and cousins .. !

I am a Boston transplant. I've been living here for 24 of my 41 years. Mogambo hit it on the head. Greensboro has potential in the artistic realm, but the one thing I have always said .. "It's excitement (notice the sarcasm) USA".

NC is known best for its mountains and lighthouses. I have a sister in the Raleigh area (Fuquay Varina). I am more encouraged that there are Classy ladies here in the state of NC (HehHeh!)

Tell me about Apex, more about the Research Triangle area! It gives me hope! (Big wide smile)

CeeCee

"If I don't stop, I have not failed."

I am from NC too! I live in the eastern part of the state-Kinston. You guys live in the big cities:)

Tpridgen

Hey, Tpridgen

I live close to Mt. Olive, NC and actually work in a little town on the river called Seven Springs!!!

WoW!! What a small world!

Kim

I'm in Chapel Hill - and to the person who is moving to NC and can move anywhere they like - i recommend Asheville! It is gorgeous, and there it a LOT to do. I have lived both there and in the Triangle and i miss the mountains SOOOO much!

We did some checking around Asheville. It is a beautiful place. We're both originally from the NC/VA area. We've only been in CA for 2 years and we're anxious to get back HOME. I'm very familiar with many areas in NC, love the Raleigh area. We've checked out some homes in Kinston, Goldsboro, High Point. We know we want to be close to family in Charlotte and VA and also to the Outer Banks of NC.

Asheville is nice, but after a while, I feel kinda like I'm in the boonies. Because, in fact, Asheville is not much of a town and is surrounded by Appalachia in all directions. If you are pretty self-contained and mostly just want to enjoy the surroundings, Asheville is nice. And it is not as hot in the summer. Politically, it is more conservative, too, for what that's worth. It has less sprawl and pollution, but less upscale stuff too. Museums, university stuff, specialty stores, political and cultural variety.

If you live in Raleigh you'll be 2 hours from the beach, and 4 hrs from the mountains, 2 1/2 hrs from Charlotte and 1 1/2 hrs from Virginia (of course, depends on what you are aiming for in Virginia).

I promise that's all the nagging I'll do.

I only lived in Asheville for a year and a half, so i might have gotten tired of it eventually. I always thought there was a lot to do, though - good restaurants and good music clubs and shows. i will say that you need money to live there well!

I just moved to Charlotte, NC after 17 years in Chicago. It's quite a change, but we are enjoying it. The people are friendly. It seems like everyone we meet is from somewhere else.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.