Dips.....

dhcsim

Cathlete
In an older post Cathe had informed someone that doing the dips were a very effective exercise for the tri's. What I want to know is how to make them harder. I am already lifting most of my body weight. I do them w/ my ankles on the floor. I am working them twice a week. Dips, overhead extensions and one arm kickbacks are what I am doing in heavy sets. I am using the curling bar for the extensions and dumbbells for the kickbacks. Thanks for the help.:D

In one of Cathe's vids she mentions putting a loaded barbell on your lap during dips to make them harder....

HTH!:)

But it will slide down my legs..LOL. Maybe if I bend my legs so that my knees are up? Let me go try........ Okay, that works. Thanks

Cross your legs... so that your weight is only on one leg. (as if you were sitting in a chair with bent legs and one crossed over like you were getting your obliques in ab work)}(

raise one leg while doing the dips}(

do them one-armed }(

You could try using straight leg with feet elevated on a sturdy chair.

Wendy is correct...it was BC that Cathe suggests using a loaded barbell.

amyg- Your into torture aren't you? LOL

fitnessfreak- That would work also.

I don't want to try too much at once or I'll hurt myself. :eek:

This is how I learned how to do them - and it's the best way short of using a dip station. When you advance with these, you can put extra weight in your lap, also. Your legs are elevated, so that makes a nice "table" for a weight plate.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

Try one-arm tricep dips, Cathe does these in High Step Challenge or High Step Training Advanced I believe. They are hard. I usually do them (with both arms) with 35 lbs. in my lap, that really makes a difference.

I like to do dips with my hands on an old living room chair and my heels on an 8" - 12" platform, legs fairly elongated, with a 50-lb barbell across the hips. The combination of the elevated feet, elongated legs (both of which keep the barbell from sliding down) AND the increased weightload are wonderful.

A-Jock

Use two chairs, put feet on one. And stack your feet (change which foot is on top mi-way through a set or do even numbers of sets) so more of your weight is transfered to your arms from your feet.

I am definitely going to be printing up this thread so that in the future as I progress in this area, I can apply them. I am having such a good day. I cleaned out my file cabinet, my office desk and did 3 loads of laundry already and it's only 9:50. I am only going to do the treadmill today. My SIL is taking me on a hike tomorrow. She hasn't told me which mountain yet. I hope she knows CPR or has 911 programmed into her phone.LOL ;( I have never hiked before.

Holy crap...both legs elevated with a 50 Lb. barbell!!! I would require medical assistance just to get "set up"...how on earth do you fanagle around to get that set up???:eek: :eek: :eek:

>Holy crap...both legs elevated with a 50 Lb. barbell!!! I
>would require medical assistance just to get "set up".

I envision myself getting into position, then having my shoulders pop out of the top of my torso when I try the first rep!! Body goes down...shoulders and arms stay up!

Those of you who do weighted dips with elevated feet and elongated legs, be warned: this has the danger of totally improving your push-up endurance and performance too. I found that as I added on 8-rep sets of these weighted dips (on Sundays I've worked up to a first set of 32, die for a minute and then another set of 24), my ability to add reps onto my push-up sets has also gone way up. We always underestimate the contribution of the triceps in any push-up work regardless of the hand placement, and the triceps dip is the exercise that most closely mimics the triceps recruitment in push-ups.

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.