Digital SLR camera: buyer's advice?

RunninTeach

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

Folks here are always so generous with helpful advice and ideas, and so I am hoping there might be some photogs among us who can give me some feedback or point me in the right direction with the purchase of a digital SLR camera.

I used to dabble in amateur photography some using a 35 mm SLR, but for the past number of years, I have been mainly using a digital point & shoot (currently a Canon Power Shot SD 790 IS Elph) for casual purposes. I've always had it mind to someday to go to a digital SLR and play a bit more, and since the birth of my niece last August, I feel the time is now right to take the plunge.

After a bit of research on CNet, Consumer Reports, and Amazon, I am looking closely at a Canon Rebel XSi 12.2 MP and would appreciate any input from the more experienced photographers among us.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't know a thing about cameras, but I do know a guy that runs an excellent blog about this very subject. He absolutely knows what he's talking about, and if youcan't find an answer o his site, I'm fairly certain if you emailed him or posted, he'd answer you:

http://www.revellphotography.com/blog/

Cathy, I just bought the Canon 450D Rebel XSi last weekend!! I'm taking a photography class and the instructor felt it was a great camera and a good investment. I haven't actually used the camera yet, our DSLR classes start in 2 weeks, but it feels really good in my hands. GO FOR IT!! :D

Thanks, govtgirl, for the great link. I've explored it some and have bookmarked it for future reference.

And thanks, Michele. I went ahead with my gut and placed the order. Now I'd like to do exactly what you're doing—take a class. I haven't had one since undergrad using 35 mm film!

Really appreciate the responses!

I hope you all don't mind me resurrecting this thread, but i did a search for cameras and found this thread. I am also in the market for a camera and would love to hear how you liked your camera and anyone else who has one they like. I am looking to take a photography class and would like to play around with photography in general. thanks in advance!

Canon Rebel Xsi

My daughter, who just started college, is taking photography. We bought her a Canon Rebel xsi also! She loves it. We bought it used at a camera store. I don't know if it's the best or anything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.