Diet

naynay

Cathlete
I have been trying to eat healthy for a while and have definitely had some setbacks. I am fourteen and play sports almost year round and I am not a big fan of chicken after seeing it before it is cooked. I want to lower my body fat and get to a healthier weight. I weigh about 120 pounds and I have a body fat percentage of about 28% I know that I am definitely on the high end for my age. I am 5 foot 5. I have a very hard time trying to balance my diet and eat the right amount of food. I think I might be eating to little calories. I would love some input because I do not want to go about this the wrong way. Thanks

hi :)

Do you mind telling us how many calories you are eating now? People are often so worried about eating too many that they don't realize that eating too few can cause major issues too. At your young age (and especially with all the sports) you need to make sure that your body is fueled up for the activity. Maybe we can make a few suggestions if we know what you caloric intake and habits are currently.

Jenn

So far today I have eaten 817 I did a leg workout and I didn't log in how many calories I burned doing that. Most of the time I don't count calories I just eat when I am hungry. Here is what I ate

Breakfast- One egg, some strawberries, and one slice of dry toast

Snack- Half of an apple and sweet potato chips

Lunch- reduced fat triscuits and motts no sugar added applesauce

Dinner- Trader Joes breaded chicken breast and about 1/2 a cup of rice

I know it isn't the healthiest but we haven't been to the grocery store lately and I didn't feel like cutting up chicken

Last edited:
Hi,

That calorie deficit seems way too extreme. You're body needs a certain number of calories just for normal function- walking, talking, blinking, etc. If you eat way below your caloric need then you are basically starving your body and it will start to go into starvation mode- completely shutting down your metabolism. It'll end up having the opposite effect of what you're trying to acheive. Try this website...http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calneed. You put in your info and it will give you an idea of what your calorie count should be.

Hope it helps :)

Hey NayNay, at 120 and 5'5 you are really not at an unhealthy weight at all! Actually you are right on target, however 28% is higher than you should be. To help improve your body fat ratio and still not lose too much weight, I would focus on lean proteins, and it doesn't have to be chicken if you don't like chicken. There's lots of health lean protein options out there....salmon, tuna, extra lean grass fed beef, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans and legumes are great source of protein too, or you can supplement with protein shakes. From your food journal below, I see alot of extra carbs that aren't necessary unless you are EXTREMELY active. Maybe see if you can replace some of those carbs with the protein sources. Maybe a sample day would go like this:

Breakfast: Egg whites scrambled with one whole egg, and 1 slice of whole wheat toast, with 1 tbsp of peanut butter on it, and an apple

Snack: plain low fat greek yogurt with blueberries

Lunch: 1 small can of tuna mashed up with 1/2 an avocado, and stuffed in a whole wheat pita pocket alongside some baby carrots

Snack: handful of nuts

Dinner: Lean meat of choice with some steamed veggies and a small sweet potato!

Also, 817 calories is much to low for you. Based on all the things you listed below, your age, height, weight, and activity, I calculated you at eating right around 1400 calories per day...lower than that and you could actually harm your metabolism. Keep up the good work though girl, I am so thrilled to see someone your age so interested in fitness and nutrition. It will take you a long way in life if you stick with it. Proud of you!

I have been doing a lot better with my foods, and I have been finding new ways to prepare my food. Now my problem is carbs! ON every single day I do weights or a long run around 6:00 P.M. I crave tortilla chips and goldfish. I can say no to the cookies, ice cream, and cupcakes, but when it it comes to crackers I am hopeless.

How long is your run? U may be depleting your sodium levels when you run long which is leaving your body searching for salty things.... Try adding in an electrolyte drink during your run and see if that doesn't squelch your savory cravings:)

The easiest way to add healthy calories is an additional salad with at least a tbsp. of olive oil drizzled on it. I like the inexpensive bags of pre-cleaned salad mix. You can also add 1/8 c. of nuts or seeds (if you can eat them, some people don't.) Making some hard boiled eggs is also and easy way to add some protein.

5'5" and 120 is fine. I don't think there is anything wrong with your weight.

Alisha

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.