Did working out keep you from being OVERDUE?

cjbate

Cathlete
The other post about working out keeping labor short, y/n made me wonder if working out has a correlation between being overdue or not? I worked out with both of my previous 2 pregnancies (this one...nevermind) and my first I was 5 days over (which I actually hear is not bad for your first) and was 2 weeks early with #2. Any correlation stories?

Thanks!
Jen

I went 5 weeks EARLY. This is my first baby. I don't know if exercise played a part in it or not but I did exercise all through my pregnancy.

Charlene

Good question! I worked out all throughout my pregnancy too, but I was still late however, it was only 3 days past my due date. Plus, since it was my first that's not too bad.

I worked out almost everyday throughout my pregnancy and the little munchkin was still 10 days late!! Of course, he was still well worth the wait!! I was actually going to be induced the next morning, but I went into labor in the middle of the night! :)

I worked out every day when I was pregnant with all three: #1 was born on her due date, #2 was born a week late and #3 was 9 days late. From all the posts, the trend indicates working out may cause you to be overdue!

I have read that working out while your pregnant has been shown to decrease the likelyhood of preterm labor. That was on a website that I was checking out the other day.
I don't have that much experience with working out and being pregnant, my first was born 4 weeks early, but I did't workout, this one I'm working out, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I worked out a little bit with my 1rst and she was 1 week early. With #2 I worked out a lot more and he was 1 week late. With #3 I worked out a lot and she was 8 days late. With this pregnancy I have worked out 5 days a week, and I have a feeling I will be overdue again.

Baby #4
Due April 23rd.
It's a boy!!!

With my first, I was 6 days early. With my second, I was 8 days early. With my 3rd, I was induced 5 days before my due date because they were worried the baby was getting too big so I will never know the real date. But for 1 and 2, the working out seemed to help me! Plus I had very fast labors.

Just a thought. This is an interesting topic as was the length of labor topic and how it is affected by working out. My feelings are whether you go a few more days over the date or whether or not the labor last a little longer is over shadowed by how great one feels the entire nine months of pregnancy. My first four babies were really tough pregnancies because I gained so much weight and didn't move around much. Baby number five was a skip in the park and I know it was due to working out each day - just made me feel so wonderful, sometimes hardly even pregnant. The birth was amazingly easy too for which I'm thankful, although I can't say whether it was due to the exercise or not....but again, the effects of working out make for a much nicer pregnancy in general and I'm sure a healthier baby and mom.

Gotta look at the long term....and I appreciated all your comments too.

Briee

That's a great point Briee! I hadn't thought of that. I'm 28 weeks and am quite big (well, right where I should be for 28 weeks, they say) and I still feel great! Aside from my round ligament pain, my energy is high and I feel totally "normal!" Must be all those Cathe workouts in my past, and powerwalks in my present! I just need to get back into doing upperbody weights...I'm afraid I've lost all my tone.
But anyway, thanks for bringing up a good point: fitness helps us throughout the 9-month long-haul.
Lisa

Just a note of encouragement Lisa, I was doing (okay I'm embarassed to admit this) Jane Fonda aerobic tapes :eek: during the beginning of my 5th pregnancy mixed with Firm workouts like the first whole body tape (susan harris) and the not so tough aerobics tapes, and I didn't begin to really weight lift until the sixth month of pregnancy. I built more muscle in those last three months than during the whole prior year. I know I have to be careful advising someone to do too much while pregnant, but it really worked for me, so I'm sure you'll bump right up there with your upper body if you start doing even moderate workouts for upper body.

I'm always jealous of someone who is further along than I am, which is probably everyone right now. You'll have to keep us posted as to how your doing!!

Briee

Bumping for interest's sake!

Just a thought. This is an interesting topic as was the length of labor topic and how it is affected by working out. My feelings are whether you go a few more days over the date or whether or not the labor last a little longer is over shadowed by how great one feels the entire nine months of pregnancy. My first four babies were really tough pregnancies because I gained so much weight and didn't move around much. Baby number five was a skip in the park and I know it was due to working out each day - just made me feel so wonderful, sometimes hardly even pregnant. The birth was amazingly easy too for which I'm thankful, although I can't say whether it was due to the exercise or not....but again, the effects of working out make for a much nicer pregnancy in general and I'm sure a healthier baby and mom.

Gotta look at the long term....and I appreciated all your comments too.

Briee
I know this is an old thread, but I loved this post so much, I had to bump it! I so agree with the concept that exercise is good for MIND and body. I am 28 weeks and feel fantastic; I workout 6 days a week. I have definitely modified to low impact and lighter weights. It is the only thing that makes me feel 'normal' during this unique and special time. If I didn't workout I would likely be slightly depressed because I can feel the aches and 'pulls' from the heaviness in my belly/uterus! LOL. I also have not gained a lot of weight (yet anway!) and I think it has a lot to do with exercise. I would never insist someone exercise during pregnancy because every pregnancy is different, but I will say this: sometimes I have had to 'push' myself to workout during this pregnancy because I was feeling achy. But once I am done, I, 95% of the time, feel much better than I did before and am proud of myself for pushing through!

Last edited:
I worked out up until the end with both pregnancies.
#1 was 2 weeks early.
#2, I induced at 39 weeks, 4 days. God knows when I would've gone on my own.

So I went longer with #2. I would say that my fitness level was the same with both kids.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.