Details!

imani

Cathlete
Well I had a moment so I thought I would post some details.

I started feeling some minor contractions on Tuesday night (3rd) then they felt much more regular and a little stronger wednesday morning (the 4th, my due date). We stayed home for a while and the contractions started coming about 5 min apart so I called the doctor and she wanted me to come in. We she checked me I was about 3cm dilated and she told us we could either check in now or go to lunch and come back later. We took the lunch option. After lunch the contractions were getting stronger but still bearable. We decided to just check into the hospital and labor there. I labored for a while and was having lots of back labor. Counter pressure on my lower back was a life saver for that.

After a good 4 hours, I was a tight 4cm. We decided to have my water broken to try to speed things up. WOW! This totally made the contractions much more painful! I decided to get an epidural at this point which was heaven!!!!!! But it did slow the contractions down so I needed to get pitocin. The pitocin worked like a charm and I was at 10 cm in no time. I started to get the urge to push (it felt just like I needed to go #2). So I started pushing.

During the pushing stage, I was getting the worst hip pain that just kept getting worse with each push! It got so bad that I couldn't push or do much of anything. They called the anesteisologist (sp?) to come back to try a different epidural medication. He came and fixed everything! I was able to rest for about 45min to 1hr and then could push again. Now it didn't hurt any more but I could still feel the contractions and pushed with everyone. After 3 or 4 contractions with the help of some oxygen, Rylee was out. The sensation of her coming out was not pleasant. I thought that it was the worst part (except for the hip pain). I tore a significant amount. They put the baby directly on my chest and let her stay there while I delivered the placenta and got sewn up.

Rylee was perfect and scored an 8 and a 9 on her APGAR evaluations! My mother, father, and sister were also there during the delivery and everyone was just crying and so happy.

The 24 - 48 hours after the deliver were absolutely miserable! Be prepared to feel really bad and weak (and really super swollen down there). I didn't think I would feel that bad but childbirth is super intense. I had trouble seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and was really emotional. Now, 5 days later, I feel much better and can now see the light. I will get better. I just need to be patient.

Anyway, that's my story. Motherhood has been fun. Rylee is so much fun to cuddle with and play with. Breastfeeding is challenging but going well. Rylee had her first dr.'s appointment and she is already above her birth weight. She gained 7oz. since Friday! So all is well.

Imani

Congratulations Imani!

I'm so glad all is well. Enjoy her, and remember to sleep when she sleeps!;-)

Jennifer V.

Oh and I'm sooo happy for you! Sounds like the really intense and painful part of your labor/delivery wasn't too long. That's great! Glad that you are feeling better and it's so great to hear that your baby is gaining weight like a champ!:7

We know how busy you are but please try to check in with us from time to time! We'd love to hear about how the new family unit is doing!:+

And let me repeat what the previous poster said...REMINDER: When she sleeps-YOU SLEEP!:)

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

8 month pic just added! EEK! lol http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

Imani, thanks for sharing!!!

I'm glad you both are home, and that both mama and baby are well and getting adjusted to each other. I had a c-section so I know ALL about the slow recovery process. Take it ONE day at a time, and I second Wendy sleep as much as possible as that is how your body heals itself. Don't over do it, ASK ASK ASK for as much help you can get cause once the help is gone it's a whole different ball game, so even if it's hard, get that help. The nursing will come along. I know it's so weird - isn't nursing sappose to be natural, then why does it take so long to get accumstom to? Well so is walking and watching a child learn how to walk makes you realize the body needs time to learn all that new "stuff".

Keep in touch, sounds like she is gaining beautifully!:)

Congrats! Thanks for sharing all the details with us. ;) Aren't pain meds WONDERFUL?!?!?!?!

**Melanie**
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

Imani,

Thanks so much for sharing the details with us! You did an amazing job, and I'm glad you're feeling better. Those first fews days were really emotional for me, as well. You go through a lot, both physically and emotionally. Stick with the breastfeeding; it gets better!

I can't believe you actually delivered on your due date! That's so rare! Here in Canada, if you deliver on your due date, Sears will refund you the cost of *all* your baby purchases. I guess it happens so rarely that they can afford to do that!

Enjoy your time with Rylee! That's a beautiful name.

All the best,
Sandra

Congrat Imani! I'm so glad to hear that you and baby are doing fine. I know what you mean about the pain after delivering. Nobody tells you about that while your pregnant do they? I"m going agree with everyone else and repeat, "Get rest whenever you can". Check in with us when you have a moment.

Welcome to the world Rylee!

Imani,

You did fantastic! I wasn't miserable after my deliveries, but my perinueum flet like I was sitting on a ball. The nurses told me I wasn't swollen, but it sure felt like it. A donut helped me a lot (life saver looking ring that your blow up and sit on).

Breastfeeding takes patience. Not all babies catch on right away. Just be patient!

Get lots of rest!

Oh yeah! On the swollen perineum issue - I remember coming to love the sitz (sp??) bath. Once home from the hospital, I took a lot of hot baths, sitting on an inflatable bath pillow, with 2 hot washcloths on my painfully engorged breasts. Good times......:p

Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.