depressed from taking a week off

amyjohauge

Cathlete
Hey everyone,
I decided this week, actually my body decided this week that I need to take a break. So I thought this week I would take off from all physical activity. But, I had this overwhelming sense of guilt and depression because I wasn't exercising. My husband says I am addicted to Cathe and I have a problem. I actually got crabby with my children because I felt I should be doing some form of exercise daily. So after getting through Sunday and Monday feeling depressed, I decided Tuesday I needed to do some form of exercise. What do you all think. Amy Jo

I know what you mean. This was a bad week for me exercise-wise. With the time change I had trouble waking up and having enough time to exercise, and I've been frustrated and feeling lethargic and out of shape, just with those few days off. At least I got my cardio in by walking the dog. Exercise may be an addiction, but it's a healthy one, and there is a chemical change when you exercise, so this may account for your grumpiness. Perhaps when you decide next time to take a week off you can do some fun exercise, like riding a bike, or hiking, so you are still getting those endorphines up. Or you might want to try some other videos, just for fun and a change, like pilates, or yoga, which are more stretching.

I know what you mean as well. The past two weeks I have really slacked off in the working out dept and exercise and I swear one or two weeks of bad eating and no exercise the scale says I've gained 5lbs. It dawned on me yesterday if I slack off just the slighest I'll go right back up to 155 and I can't have that.

I get so depressed sometimes to think that I can't take any time off from this. Working a full time job,working out, eating healthy is another job in itself. I also feel very guilty when I don't workout and eat right at least we all have each other. This week I decided ok, I'm getting back and now I feel under the weather I don't know what's going on here my motivation these days seems to be really slacking. How about that? with summer right around the corner. When I don't workout I'm thinking constantly, I need to workout, I need to do it. I don't know it's an addiction I guess, at least it's a good one. Take care

Shanda

Tell your husband you'd be glad to stop your addiction to working out with Cathe and substitute an addiction to shopping the boutiques with his American Express card.

We all have "addictions" to something. Exercise is one of the good things! I don't even want to take one day off.

I feel totally unworthy when I have not exercised - but then, I definitely do have a problem! Wish my body was able to take all the high impact stuff I plan for it. Unfortunately it has a way of going all stubborn on me when it has had enough. The way I feel better about rest days is by telling myself that it is all part of getting fit - In order for those muscles to grow I have to rest as hard as I workout. I've also started doing a lot of yoga and stretch tapes. They really used to test my patience but I am vaguely beginning to enjoy them now. They sort of help you connect with your body and become aware of all the muscle you have. In fact these tapes have become a great way for me to appreciate what I have achieved through consistent exercise rather than focus on what I could be achieving through more of it. Hope you will enjoy your time off and take care.

RE: All about you...

Hi everyone. I believe this is very common in athletic women, especially women who have very little "personal" time. Your workout is likley one of the only real stress releases you have, so on top of your physical craving for it, you have the mental craving as well. "Cathe" fans also tend to be type A individuals, I think. Personally, my way of dealing with this is exactly what you said: do something to assuage the guilt with skipping workouts. Go for a nice long powerwalk, do 30 minutes of abs, a long stretch, take up yoga, GO SALSA DANCING, do a jig with your kids for a half hour-- anything. It's all about you, after all, your body and your well-being because that's why we work out, isn't it? I don't think it's dangerous unless you put workouts before all else at the expense of your well being, instead of to enhance your well being. But being "addicted" in the sense that you don't feel well, or feel crabby, when you don't work out is in my view, pretty normal, and not unhealthful or unexpected. BUT, as we all know, the guilt is destructive. So do what you have to do to make yourself not guilty! If you absolutely cannot get away from guilt unless you are doing nuclear workouts every day, maybe you should evaluate internally what's going on, and honestly ask yourself if maybe something deeper might be bugging you that needs addressed. Be proud of yourself above all else: celebrate your successes and forgive your stumbles. That's my mantra. IMHO. :)

I used to have the same feeling when I was around my college roomies who all had some sort of eating /exercise disorder. I thought since I wasn't about to diet, exercise was the thing keeping me thin.

Now that I'm away from them, I occasionally take time off from exercise. At first it feels weird, but after the first few days, I'm fine with it (not a good thing!). Then I feel refreshed when I start up again.

There's nothing wrong with breaks! Ask yourself why you feel guilty? You won't gain much (if any) weight or lose muscle. In fact, you'll probably come back stronger and maybe see improvement. Just think of the much deserved break you're giving yourself- it works hard every other day for you!

So listen to your body and NOT to your mind! You NEED to take time off, or you can get burned out. You are exercising to be good to yourself, not to punish yourself.

Time to get rid of the guilt. Go to a MALL and walk....that's STILL exercise. Then go shopping. I love mall walking, although it upsets the older folks sometimes when they think I'm going to run over them.

I have to agree there are literal physical changes in brain chemistry from exercise, the beta endorphin release we get from it really does make us feel more confident, happy, and able to cope with the stress of daily living. I know when I don't workout often I start to get overwhelmed with just getting to work and making it thru the day. Every little thing starts to bug me. I'm a grump. Soon as I do a big step video, boom, I'm in a good mood, life is manageable, and I become solution oriented toward problems, my sense of frustation just flys out the window :-wow

Interesting statement that was made about most Cathe fans being type A's. I'm a B for sure so guess I'm in the minority around here on that :-cool

I have to agree there are literal physical changes in brain chemistry from exercise, the beta endorphin release we get from it really does make us feel more confident, happy, and able to cope with the stress of daily living. I know when I don't workout often, I start to get overwhelmed with just getting to work and making it thru the day. Every little thing starts to bug me. I'm a grump. Soon as I do a big step video, boom, I'm in a good mood, life is manageable, and I become solution oriented toward problems, my sense of frustation just flys out the window :-wow

Interesting statement that was made about most Cathe fans being type A's. I'm a B for sure so guess I'm in the minority around here on that :-cool

Exercise vidoes are some peoples antidepressants :7

I'm the same way--in the morning I emerge from my bedroom in a grumpy mood, make my way downstairs to the exercise room, and after working out, voila! I come back upstairs a new woman. Amazing. I completely agree that exercise changes brain chemistry!

I also have to force myself to take days off from exercise. I start off okay about it, but as the day goes on I can't stop thinking about it and I have this internal conversation with myself (Should I just go ahead and do it? But I should rest. But I feel crappy/guilty/crabby. I'll just do something short...and on and on it goes...) It's tough. As someone else said, I have done the best on days that I tell myself that my body is making gains by resting--beating myself into the ground is not going to give me the best results.

I was so proud of myself three weeks ago when I took a whole week off because my bad knee was really acting up and I felt overall burned out from exercising. I just kept trying to eat healthfully (but not less), and I did feel so much stronger when I started again. I didn't lose a bit of strength or gain any weight. It's a good thing to do for yourself. Not easy, but it helps if you think in terms of doing it for your health. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, as I was. Give yourself permission and just enjoy the break--when you start to feel guilty, just stop those thoughts cold and think about something else. Good luck!
Denise

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.