Delicious soup recipe!

NurseMommy

Cathlete
Hi, all! I'm in a rut, not cooking much, eating too much take-out...so I made myself pull out an easy, old favorite soup recipe for tonight, to help me out of my bad pattern. And it's so fast and good, I decided I'd share. Here it is --

Lentil and Brown Rice Soup

In a large, heavy soup pot, combine:

5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 can 35-oz chopped tomatoes
3 carrots, halved and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 large stalk celery, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each: basil, oregano, thyme
1 bay leaf

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45-55 minutes, till lentils and rice are both tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.

Stir in:
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

I like to toss just a little cheddar cheese on top. We're having it with crusty bread and fresh fruit tonight. (Take that, Domino's!!) Enjoy!

Allison

Allison, this looks FABULOUS! I might have to make a pot and take it for lunch next week. Thanks for sharing!

This soup sounds great! I also have a favorite stand by soup that's quick and easy called 7 can soup.It is 2 cans Veg-all, 2 cans minestrone coup, 2 cans Ranch style beans and one can Rotel. I usually modify a little and use 3 cans Veg-all and 1/2 can of the Rotel. I like it just like this but DH likes some meat in it so I usually add some cooked roast beef chunks or you can add 1 lb cooked ground sirloin. Just simmer on the stove til hot. I like to simmer on super low heat about 1/2 a day so we can smell it cooking!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.