Death Valley Borax Half Marathon

AndreaL

Cathlete
I haven't posted much here lately, but some of the old-timers may remember me. I'm anxiously awaiting my Cathe DVD's!

This was my first half marathon and I was using it as a long run in my marathon training. I plan on doing RocknRoll Arizona in January.

This race started at the Ranch and went North towards Scotty’s Castle. I had run 16 miles the week before so I knew I could cover the distance. The course was rolling hills below sea level. Since I live at 2600’ I hoped this would be an advantage.

I can’t believe how nervous I was. The night before my stomach was in knots and I didn’t get much sleep. Once we got to the race my nervousness just went away. My Mom, her dh, my dh and boys came down to cheer me on.

This is not a very big race. Fist place gets a rubber chicken! There are aid stations every 3 miles and NO ONE on the course cheering. I train in the middle of nowhere so this was normal for me.

It was cool at the start, no wind, perfect. The road wasn’t closed to traffic, but they discouraged family and friends from driving on it. I read race reports all the time and they sound like the miles just fly by. Well they did today! Pretty uneventful though. The last mile uphill was hard. My legs were very tired and sore.

I knew I was going a little faster than usual cause I never took my last gel. I take them every 48 minutes, which is usually around 4 miles. I did a 5/1 run/walk. My finishing time was 2:24:18. That’s an 11:01 mile. Woohoo! I really surprised myself. I’m usually around 11 ½ or 12 minute miles on the longer runs.

I am amazed at how quickly 2 ½ hours went by. Phoenix will hopefully be really great with all the crowds and bands.

My legs hurt so bad after I was done. Owwww. I stretched a bit and we headed home. I then jumped in the shower so we could go to Vegas and look at a truck for sale. I was starving so got some go burgers. I've been craving burgers after my long runs lately...with onions.

Andrea

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
It still amazes me how runners can get through marathons! I had to read your post when I saw DEATH VALLEY and MARATHON in one line. I'm just trying to train for a 10 K in May and am starting off with a 5K training schedule. When you're on a threadmill and going at 12 minute miles...it just never seems to end. I'm really awed by people who do long runs!!! You rock!

Andrea! That is awesome! Congratulations! What a great accomplishment! :) :) :)

Please post your results after you do RocknRoll. Completing a marathon is still a personal goal that has eluded me because of a knee problem so I envy you for being able to do this.

How exciting!!! I wish you the very best and look forward to hearing of your success!!! (Also a great way to start off the new year! :)!)

You go girl!

RACH and Jo

RACH-That's exactly how I got started. My first race was the one miler at Race For The Cure. I'll admit the treadmill is very boring. Doing hills or speed intervals helps. Have you tried Runervals or Treadmoves?

Jo-What kind of injury do you have? I have a friend who is also trainig for AZRNR and flared up an old knee injury. He says he is gonna still do it and then he'll never be able to run again. Don't take it that far!

Thanks guys!

Andrea

Andrea...congrats on your 1st half!!! And a very good training run for a marathon. I have done some marathons myself. Mostly in Calif. You sound just like me the night before...I have often thought why bother to try and sleep! I have heard some running friends say that 2 nights before is when you should try to get the best sleep. My favorite half is the Humboldt half in October. They have a marathon too. I find the Redwood trees beautiful. Keep up the good work and yes, please let us know how you do in Arizona...:) Carole

Andrea..
Good Job! I can't wait till AzRNR!! Ok, don't lash out at me here, but my training has gone into the toilet. I ran one 10k last month but that may have been the last time I actually ran!! I am concerned, but I have 3.5 hours to get off the course and that translates into 13.1 miles atleast walked at <4 mph. THAT seems manageable, but to tell you the truth i have never gone 13 miles! I know, shame on me for being so unprepared, but I have been going through some personal and professional issues and just have lost my love for working out. I am trying to get back into it though and have managed to keep up my muscle strength I think, if not my endurance.

I should be OK if they have one of those rescue golf carts! No way am I not doing it though! How do you think you will do? When I ran my 10k I was pretty proud of myself, not for my time (1:07) but for the fact that I was able to push pretty hard at the end with minimal discomfort when everyone else was dying (THANK YOU IMAX 2). That was cool. Really shows me that I am so much more made for sprinting!:) We should find a place to meet. I will have to look at the race route and get an idea for it. Haven't looked at it too much. Of course, you would have to ditch me as soon as it began!:):)

Janice

CONGRATULATIONS ANDREA!

What a wonderful accomplishment & it looks like your Rock'n'Roll training is right on track. That's going to be a sensory challenge with all the solo running you do!

For those that have not visited Death Valley, it is quite beautiful in the winter. Andrea, this could qualify as a Runners' World rave run!

Any pictures to share??

Debra

CONGRATULATIONS ANREA!!!!

I know that you had been training hard for this event. What an amazing accomplishment!! You should be so proud of what you have accomplished.

From your VF pollyanna,

RE: RACH and Jo

Andrea, it's a problem on the lower part of my left knee (on the outside). It developed a couple months after I had completed a half marathon. I need to go see a sports doctor to get it properly diagnosed but I had put that off as I was traveling extensively for my job and just couldn't get in. But now I'm not traveling any more so I going to make an appointment after the first of the year.

The funny thing is NOTHING ELSE bothers it. I can do high-impact step, hi/lo, biking, hiking, you name it. But if I run more the 3 miles I am in dire pain!!

Anyway, I'm going to get it looked at as I want to be out there with everyone else!!! I just love it!

One of the OLD-Timers here! :7 CONGRATULATIONS Andrea!!! I knew you'd do awesome. Please forgive me for not keeping in touch more lately. I know how hard you have been training. That is just GREAT! Good Luck as you train for the Phoenix Run. Drop me an E-mail when you find time and I'll do the same. Hope you enjoyed your burger WITH onions! :9
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thanks guys!

I didn't expect this much excitement! You guys are great and I really need to get over here more often. Shame on me!

Andrea

Janice

Do you live in Phoenix? I am heading down the Friday before and hope to scope out the course so dh can meet me at a few places. Maybe we could meet at the convention on Saturday? I have a feeling the race is gonna be a madhouse. Although I wouldn't mind someone to hold my hand! I'm not a city girl at all and I know all the people around is gonna be a bit of a shock to me as Debra said.

I hope you get your love for exercise back soon. We can share training stories and miseries if you'd like over email. Even if you just walk the miles you'll be getting the distance under your belt.

Andrea

Debra

Yes, DV is beautiful, but much the same as the area I live in. The course looked VERY different on the way back though!

My Mom took some pics and will be over to put them on my computer Tuesday while she watches my little guy and I run. I'll post some then!

Andrea

Sabine

When I started reading the post I thought, "How did this person know I was training?" Then I looked at the username again! Did you know the Christi DVD you sent has all these extra things on it by other instructors? I did the "Julie's abs" today. I haven't had a chance to try the actual workout yet, but I was surprised at all the stuff on it! Thanks again!

Andrea

Debbie

I have a kind of funny story about the onions. Like I said we had to go into town so we ate the burgers and I did remove some of the onion and left it in the go box. All the way to town C.J. keeps saying that I stunk like sweat. "I took a shower!" I kept saying.

"Maybe your sweat got on the seat?" he says.

When we got to a gas station and I dumped the go boxes he realized it was the onions.:)

Andrea

RE: Debra

Can't wait to see the pictures. And what time did your crew have to crawl out of bed?

The name Death Valley is so negative, it's hard to associate it with such a beautiful place. And that there are some incredible mountains surrounding it.

So you've got your own "rave run" for training?

Debra

RE: Debra

I didn't have to be there to get my number until 7am so I was up around 5am and got everyone else up at 5:30am.

Actually my "rave run" for training is a trail across the desert from my house towards my Moms. I've got it measured out to do anywhere from 3 to 8 miles.

Andrea

P.S. I don't think I told you, but I worked for a while this fall and saved all my money for a bike! I haven't gotten one yet, but plan to in the next couple months maybe:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.