Dairy=bad skin....?

I've always been a consumer of dairy and have always had good skin. Up until a couple months ago, I never got breakouts. But seeing how I'm 38 years old and have ALWAYS eaten dairy, I highly doubt there's a connection there.

Thanks again everyone, all information has been helpful. The dairy elimination process starts tomorrow. So, as my last night I was at my neices b-day party dinner at a nice restaurant and got seated at the kids table, I'm the fun aunt, so when they passed out dessert and milk for the kids I asked for a glass as well! Boy did it taste good. Well enough of that. I'll see how I feel in 2 weeks and maybe start to add back in and find out if its just the milk or all dairy...boo hoo!

Skye

I agree with a link between dairy and acne. I don't like milk and I don't eat a lot of dairy, but when I do eat ice cream my face breaks out within days.

Quote from an article linking dairy and acne ...

Acne occurs when steroids (androgens) stimulate the sebaceous glands within the skin's hair follicles. These glands then secrete an oily substance called sebum. When sebum, bacteria and dead skin cells build up on your skin, the pores become blocked, creating a zit.

"As pointed out by Dr. Jerome Fisher, 'About 80 percent of cows that are giving milk are pregnant and are throwing off hormones continuously.' Progesterone breaks down into androgens, which have been implicated as a factor in the development of acne...Dr. Fisher observed that his teenage acne patients improved as soon as the milk drinking stopped."

by Frank Oski, M.D. (Director, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.