Cycle Workouts - Do I need a Spin cycle?

I've seen some people mention that they've followed along on a stationary bike or treadmill, but to get the full effect you would really need a spin bike. Spin bikes have heavy fly wheels and tension knobs that allow for fast sprints and standing work. The stationary bike wouldn't have these so there would be drills that you couldn't simulate.

That being said, Cathe's spin workouts are fabulous so if you do have any opportunity to give them a try you won't be disappointed!

I tried cathe's first spin work out and soon realised I could not spin on standing position. I was annoyed as I was really looking forward to it. I couldn't even adjust the height to level my hip girdle to the saddle. Such a bummer!

I am definitely getting a spin bike.

All the best,

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has ever tried with a road bike on an indoor trainer? I bought a cyclocross bike a month back and am trying to train for a 50-mile ride on 6/1/14. I have an indoor fluid trainer and want to do the X-train ride video. The trainer should give me enough resistance to climb and I can increase/decrease resistance by changing gears. I'm thinking this might be the perfect way to train. Thoughts?

I tried cathe's first spin work out and soon realised I could not spin on standing position. I was annoyed as I was really looking forward to it. I couldn't even adjust the height to level my hip girdle to the saddle. Such a bummer!

I am definitely getting a spin bike.

All the best,

Make sure you get a good spin bike. I bought a cheap one at Sears and its useless once the tension is really turned up...once I'm standing the wheel just slips :(

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure you need an actual spin bike. Which I am DYING to get. But there sadly is not one in my near future, lol.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.