Custom orthotics for plantar fasciitis

valleygirl

Cathlete
My physical therapist (I'm seeing her for plantar fasciitis) has recommended my getting custom orthotics for my aerobics shoes. What kind of results have any of you gotten from custom orthotics for pf? Do they work for you? I'm also wearing a night splint, doing lots of stretching exercises, and icing my foot, in addition to staying away from cardio right now. I think my condition is improving, but I don't want it to come back. Any input on orthotics would be welcome!
Thanks,
Valerie

I can't workout without my custom orthotics. My feet would be in agony without them. I only wear them when working out, but all of my shoes have excellent arch support and I never, EVER go barefoot. I think the daily stretching and ice do just as much to relieve the pain of PF. Make sure you stretch your hamstrings, quads, hips, and back, too. Good luck!

One of the best things I did.

I know you didn't ask but it took me a good six months with no aerobics to recover from my pf (but I wasn't going to a physical therapist...I now think that would have been a great benefit). I know that sounds like an eternity but it worked. The only trouble I have now is when I insist on wearing shoes that have no arch support...then I pay dearly, but it's not a constant issue.

Sue <><

I have pretty bad PF, but I've found that non-custom arch supports work pretty well for me. There are a couple types I like that I get from FootSmart.com. Unfortunately, they don't fit well in normal shoes, so I only use them in my workout shoes. Without these shoe inserts, I'd be lost. If I'm having a bad foot day at work, when I get home I change into my sneakers with the arch support inserts and the pain diminishes immediately by about 75%.

Shelbygirl

I have orthotics that I wear at work everyday and when I workout. They have made a huge difference. The other thing I do is replace my shoes that I wear to work at least every 6 months. I also keep sandal wearing to a minimum.

My fiance found his custom orthotics to be pretty much a waste of money, unfortunately.
However, his feet feel remarkably better since buying Keen shoes, and Crocs (the ones for PF--Crocs Relief or something like that) for around the house.

He can't live without Superfeet inserts. http://www.superfeet.com/

(I also had no success with custom orthotics for my Morton's Neruoma, but Keens work wonders for me.)

Good luck!
Wendy

I had orthotics made for my PF problems but could never wear them. I went through several doctors, and several forms of treatment, and ultimately what I found helped me the most was ice, and intense stretching. My PF was really bad too - my calf was so tight that it was pulling my left foot out of alignment and making my ankle hurt so badly I thought I had a stress fracture. But now that I stretch more intensely, I can run again...I've done 16 miles this week so far.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

I cannot live without my orthotics - they were key in my PF recovery, and I wear them in EVERYTHING incl and especially my workout shoes.

The night splints did absolutely nothing for me. I'm such a light sleeper and they really bothered me and I ended up kicking them off in the middle of the night most of the time.

Stretching, no barefoot (although I'm getting a tad lazy about that these days since I've been pain-free...), any sandals I wear have to be Teva's or such - very soft with arch support.

Heidi

My DH and I both have orthodics. He SWEARS by his. Without them, he is in agony. I like mine, but they never fit right in any of my shoes with heels, so half the time I forget about them. I do try to remember to use them when I am lifting. They do not really work for me for cardio though because they are only half size and they slide around. I think the next time I get them, I will ask for the version that runs the entire length of the shoe. Mine only cover the heel and the arch.

Thank you all for your replies to this topic! I always look forward to coming here and reading everyone's helpful posts.
Thanks again,
Valerie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.