Crossfit

sme702

Cathlete
Anyone out there tried Crossfit and how do you like it? It looks to me like an intense workout - but want to hear from Catheletes! I have a chance to go today for the 'foundations' class so I thought I would go. Opinions please!

I thought about crossfit, checked into it. It was so expensive I decided to put it aside for now. I hear it kicks butt. I'm sure I will check it out at some point. Love to hear other opinions.

My chiropractor says that crossfit is paying for his retirement because so many people have hurt them selves, so look for a really good instructor that has a good track record.

I did a test class with my SIL a while back. It was fun and I really liked it, but it's expensive. And their hours don't fit in my schedule.

One of the ESPN stations had the 2014 CrossFit Games on today. Just looking at the challenges they had to do I can see why it puts so much stress on the body.

Well I did the 'foundations' class yesterday where you learn the moves, lingo and did your first 'WOD' (workout of the day).
I had to relearn how to do squats. Your butt goes down as far as you can (almost hitting the floor) with your feet hip distance apart and feet straight (still no knees over the toes - at least that didnt change) while keeping your arms up and back straight. Im not sure my knees or hip can tolerate this for too long!
I thought I would try it for a month and see. But I may hurt myself in the process! Wish me luck!

I saw a bit of the Crossfit games on TV, but like American Ninja Warrior much better.

Especially like when they show the different training & workout equipment people build to train for ANW. Like big kids, at the playground.

I thought the Crossfit fad was over, don't really read too much about that anymore. Everybody who did it got hurt.

I tried it and I felt that it was an injury waiting to happen. I had to modify many moves just to protect my back, knees, hips so I didn't really have fun with Crossfit. Both my sister (an Aerobics Instructor) and myself just did not enjoy the workout, probably just not our thing.

The Crossfit debate reminds me a lot of the Insanity debate. Seems you either love it or you don't. If I recall correctly, Bob Harper is a huge Crossfit fan. I also follow a blogger who swears by Crossfit and says it has changed her body in a way nothing else ever has. But I just think you really need to know yourself, your body, and your exercise likes/dislikes. For me, Crossfit (like Insanity) looks like an injury waiting to happen. Crossfit also just seems to extreme too me (same with Insanity). I know I would dread the workouts. For those reasons, I have no interest. I'd rather spend the extra cash to subscribe to Cathe Live.

I agree about insanity. I bought it and used it less than five times. I will never do it again. It is too intense (insane) for me. I'm all about remaining injurt free.

Anyone out there tried Crossfit and how do you like it? It looks to me like an intense workout - but want to hear from Catheletes! I have a chance to go today for the 'foundations' class so I thought I would go. Opinions please!

Me! I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE Crossfit fan. After thinking about it for a LONG while (years!) I finally pulled the trigger a few months ago. Best decision I ever made and if anything, I wish I would have started earlier.

For some background - for the last many years I've been doing primarily endurance training/racing (long distance running & triathlon) and while I loved it, the repetitive nature of the training eventually took it's toll and I was battling calf and hip injuries that would never quite go away 100%, regardless of how many PT or chiro visits I made. Things would get better, I'd religiously continue my PT exercises at home, keep going to preventative chiro, etc., then .... it would flare up again for no obvious reason. SO frustrating - I finally decided it was time to try something new. The true full body / functional aspect of Crossfit and the style of the heavy strength work (no isolation work, all Olympic lifting style, including ass to grass squat form!) has FIXED me. My posture has improved (tons of posterior chain work in CF), my calves are all better, my hips are more flexible and stronger than they ever have been. I'm getting insanely strong, and along with that getting leaner than I can ever remember.

Best of all? It's a BLAST. I have SO MUCH FUN every day at the gym - it's an incredible community and I am lucky to have found a gym with true professionals who know their stuff. If you enjoy high intensity (and there is no doubt about it - it is HIGH INTENSITY like you've never experienced before) and really expanding the limits of your fitness, there is NO match to Crossfit.

Can you get hurt? Of course. As with anything, you need to find a place that has quality instruction. Just like you can have a quack doctor, or a crappy instructor who doesn't know what they are doing at a Zumba class at the local gym, or lousy instruction on a fitness video, you can find lousy CF coaches out there who don't stress form. But find a good place? It's INCREDIBLE. How many posts do we have on the Cathe forum talking about injuries? How many runners do you know who have had an injury? If you leave your house, you will inevitably get hurt. It's part of sport. All we can do is do our best to minimize the odds of injury by educating yourself, and when you do get injured, rest the injury, do everything you can to heal, then get back to it.

I have been going to a crossfit stlye gym for 9 months. (not called crossfit, but very similar). I really like it because it forces me to do things I would not normally do at home. Heavy squats, deadlifts, thrusters, and a lot of other moves. Which I think is an excellent complement to my Cathe workouts. I do two "crossfit" workouts and two Cathe workouts per week. I am getting excellent results. I agree you can get hurt, but what can't you get hurt at? I also think it's important to have a great trainer. The trainer will make you, or break you!

I would definitely suggest this type of training!!

Kimberly

Thanks everyone for your input. I know that it is intense but I wanted to try it out for a month or two. Why not right?? Looking forward to my 1st WOD tmrw!

Just finished my 1st WOD. All I can say is: WOW! I 'thought' I was in relatively good shape. Nope. That burned me out. The support by the team and coach is awesome. They push you but in a good way. But just as in the foundations class, I am not able to go as deep into the squats as you are supposed to (knee and hip issues), but just like all exercises...moderation is key. Looking foward to another next week. But at this time, maybe just 2 WODs in a week is enough and Cathe inbetween! You all should try this at least once!

Don't put yourself down. I bet you're in great shape. Just because it was a tough workout does not mean you're not in great shape. Every person in that room should be getting a butt-kicking workout, from the beginner to the advanced, everyone just pushes themselves to their level. It should NEVER be easy.

I've been going to my classes for about 9 months now. I still only do two days there, and two days with Cathe. I would miss Cathe if I didn't "see" her every week. And I think the variety is good for me, and it keeps me from getting burned out with either.

Kimberly

Just finished my 1st WOD. All I can say is: WOW! I 'thought' I was in relatively good shape. Nope. That burned me out. The support by the team and coach is awesome. They push you but in a good way. But just as in the foundations class, I am not able to go as deep into the squats as you are supposed to (knee and hip issues), but just like all exercises...moderation is key. Looking foward to another next week. But at this time, maybe just 2 WODs in a week is enough and Cathe inbetween! You all should try this at least once!

I hear you!!!! It's been very humbling. :) This is a whole new class of fitness level! Glad to hear you enjoyed it!!!!

Your mobility will GREATLY improve if you stick with it. My hips were a mess (serious mobility issues, regular pain, weird clicking, etc.) from years of running and cycling, but after 5 months now of CF, I have no more pain and huge increases in mobility. My shoulders have a similar story - in fact, last week we were doing shoulder presses for our strength work, and my coach came over with a HUGE smile on her face. She said she can see a huge improvement in my shoulder mobility in my lift from when I started. That is very cool. Even if you only go a few times per week, I'm sure you'll see serious gains in every aspect.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.