Cross-Fire/To the max Tabata premixes question

EllieB

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and crew,

I have just one question about the intensity of the tabata premixes. I may be wrong, but I remember reading about how Cathe explained that it was so difficult to obtain the right level of intensity in a dvd workout to name it real tabata, now I've seen how short are some of the premixes, so I guess my heart will be pounding and going right up there where it is meant to be...will this mean that Cathe broke that wall and went beyond the limits? I am so excited about this... Can't wait to have those wotkouts in my hands!! Please please hurry!!!!

True Tabata's

There is an old saying about Tabata workouts that says " if you like Tabata workouts, you've never done a Tabata workout". What this statement means is that a true 100% Tabata workout needs to be performed at least at about 95% and as close to to 100% of your maximum heart rate as possible. This can usually only really be done with movements like all out sprints that are just not possible to do in a fitness video. At a true Tabata level it is impossible to talk during most of the workout and you're not able to go even one step further when completed. Tabata's are all about pushing it to the absolute max!

Our two new workouts will feature various Tabata inspired 4 min workouts based on the Tabata 20 second work interval with a 10 second rest between intervals. Each of these Tabata's will vary in intensity, but all are extremely tough and some of the hardest 4 min workouts on video. The Firewalker Tabata is probably the toughest of the CrossFire Tabata's and you will notice that Cathe gets very quiet during this section not because she couldn't think of something to say, but because she is out of breath. This is what happens when you reach the upper anaerobic zone and is a good indication you're in the Tabata training zone. Though Cathe is certainly challenged by the other Tabata's in the CrossFire and To the Max videos she is for the most part able to talk and this indicates that her heart rate is less than 95%.

So to summarize, I wouldn't classify our Tabata's as 100% true Tabata's as we want you to still have at least some gas in the tank for the rest of your workout and we want you to enjoy yourself too. But these short intervals will definitely challenge even an experienced exerciser and when combined with rest of the workout will leave you a sweaty mess!

I love how SNM and Cathe take the time to answer questions in these forums. I appreciate the thought and science behind all of the videos too. and really, I am just dying to get those new videos:eek:

Oh what great information SNM...thanks. I can barely contain myself about these new workouts!

Thank you so much SNM for your detailed answer, you guys do an excellent job and are really a plus that Cathe offers to all her dedicated supporters! Now.... Cathe out of breath? Not speaking?!? I am so scared....but so ready to embrace this challenge too! ;)

I don't think I could manage a true tabata workout. That said, I'm so excited!!!

I could see how doing a Tabata style workout might be easier outside, running up hill, wearing a weighted vest. :eek:

Thank you for that information, SNM.
I have a follow up question.
If tabata workouts are supposed to be very short and intense, is it Cathe's goal for us to only do the premixes and maximize our heartrate? I see that doing the dvd as played is 53 minutes. I would imagine it is quite difficult not to "cheat" the moves if you need to conserve energy to make it through 53 minutes.

Thanks,
Sharon

CrossFire

It will really depend on your fitness level and the effort you put into your workout. The Beauty of both CrossFire and To The Max is the variety of Premixes makes it possible for most exercisers to find a workout that fits their time schedule and fitness level. You can also take advantage of our detailed chaptering and skip sections and intervals you prefer not to do or just click the pause button if you need some more recovery time.

Last edited:
It will really depend on your fitness level and the effort you put into your workout. The Beauty of both CrossFire and To The Max is the variety of Premixes makes it possible for most exercisers to find a workout that fits their time schedule and fitness level. Yo can also take advantage of our detailed chaptering and skip sections and intervals you prefer not to do or just click the pause button if you need some more recovery time.

Ah, the pause button! That has been my savior many a time!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.