Covid in USA

kenja

Cathlete
Hi,
I'm from Australia and have just read about the USA's worst covid week for the whole year. We have come out of a severe lockdown with only necessities open for over 100 days. Hopefully we are in a good place, (for now anyway). I was just wondering what life is like over in America and how you are all coping? How has this covid monster impacted your lives?
One thing I find hard to believe is that we have all had such a bad year, but it has gone so fast! To think we are almost at Christmas astounds me. Hopefully things get better in your part of the world and we can all get our lives back to normal!

Hi,
I'm from Australia and have just read about the USA's worst covid week for the whole year. We have come out of a severe lockdown with only necessities open for over 100 days. Hopefully we are in a good place, (for now anyway). I was just wondering what life is like over in America and how you are all coping? How has this covid monster impacted your lives?
One thing I find hard to believe is that we have all had such a bad year, but it has gone so fast! To think we are almost at Christmas astounds me. Hopefully things get better in your part of the world and we can all get our lives back to normal!
I live in Florida and have been living my life normally since it started and I'm over it. Three people I know have come down with it and recovered 100% and one of them had Asthma. I'm lucky/BLESSED that it hasn't impacted me that much work is work and I have been working on a major project. My HEART goes out that have been impacted by it on a financial or work level. I had a trip planed and canceled it. I canceled it because I want to have a good time, and not because I was scared of it, If I get it, I get it and I'll recover. The BIGGEST impact / source of anger is for when I fly. I ALWAYS fly First and now all get on Delta is water and trail mix in a ziplock bag and the look of shame if you board first. They, claim it's temporary but I think it's long term. Anyway, I think I speak for everyone when I say WE WANT 2020 TO END!!!! that's my rant :)

I live in Florida and have been living my life normally since it started and I'm over it. Three people I know have come down with it and recovered 100% and one of them had Asthma. I'm lucky/BLESSED that it hasn't impacted me that much work is work and I have been working on a major project. My HEART goes out that have been impacted by it on a financial or work level. I had a trip planed and canceled it. I canceled it because I want to have a good time, and not because I was scared of it, If I get it, I get it and I'll recover. The BIGGEST impact / source of anger is for when I fly. I ALWAYS fly First and now all get on Delta is water and trail mix in a ziplock bag and the look of shame if you board first. They, claim it's temporary but I think it's long term. Anyway, I think I speak for everyone when I say WE WANT 2020 TO END!!!! that's my rant :)
I just feel for all the lives lost. That must be the heartbreaking bit, surely. Some of the footage we have seen on TV has been unbelievably horrendous.

Hi Kenja, I live in Illinois and our numbers of Covid cases are going through the roof. For me, it's a scary time and I wear a face mask 100% of the time that I am outside (I'm 62 years old, so don't want to take any chances). I've been working remotely since March and truly miss all my coworkers; I miss my life before all of this happen and have had a challenging time adjusting but I am. Some people recover and some don't, so I don't want to take that chance and will continue to protect myself as much as I can. And yes, it's very, very sad that such a powerful country, like USA, is taking the lead in Covid infections, so sad for me.

Hi Kenja, I live in Illinois and our numbers of Covid cases are going through the roof. For me, it's a scary time and I wear a face mask 100% of the time that I am outside (I'm 62 years old, so don't want to take any chances). I've been working remotely since March and truly miss all my coworkers; I miss my life before all of this happen and have had a challenging time adjusting but I am. Some people recover and some don't, so I don't want to take that chance and will continue to protect myself as much as I can. And yes, it's very, very sad that such a powerful country, like USA, is taking the lead in Covid infections, so sad for me.
I wish you all the best. I am 64 so I know where your head is at!!! Stay strong!

I just feel for all the lives lost. That must be the heartbreaking bit, surely. Some of the footage we have seen on TV has been unbelievably horrendous.

I do to and it's very, sad. However, I know in FL they inflated the number of deaths :( And in my part they don't tell you how many have recovered. I'm not trying to sound like an a$$ ( I know I do that very well :) ) However, I'm tired of the media making it sounds like it's all doom and gloom.

Hi,
Sadly, this has become a political issue. Many think it’s a hoax and do not trust health experts. There are politicians who think people in their 60’s and 70’s should sacrifice themselves for the economy to open as normal. Where are you from in AU? I used to live in Mandurah, south of Perth.

Sadly, this has become a political issue. Many think it’s a hoax and do not trust health experts. There are politicians who think people in their 60’s and 70’s should sacrifice themselves for the economy to open as normal. Where are you from in AU? I used to live in Mandurah, south of Perth.
I live in Melbourne, Victoria. I know Mandurah. I really hope people do not think that we are expendable, I feel like I still have a lot to give and to live! :)

I'm an RN, and so is my husband. It's bad here. Very, very bad. Please, please, PLEASE get vaccinated when you can. This is not a hoax, and the vaccines are safe. Please. Thank you.
I am an RN as well and I don't think that saying it's safe is very good advice since it is still not an FDA approved vaccine. No one knows what the longer term side effects will be plus there are numerous reports of allergic responses in Europe. I live in an area of FL where we have one of the highest average ages in the state and we are doing very well. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed even with out of state people arriving here. I am not saying that covid is a hoax but there have also been many things blown out of proportion. Just like Mad-dog88 said the number of deaths here have been false. I've seen death certificates that stated the primary cause of death was covid but the secondary was stuff like gunshot wound to the head or even death from car accidents. I feel very saddened by the fact that this whole virus has become politicized instead of taking care of people. I am not trying to be a bi*ch here. I just think this is something that is very personal and should be decided by each person without any type of pressure from anyone else.

The FDA approved the Pfizer vaccine last night for emergency use.

I’m glad you live in an area where it’s not bad. It’s very bad here where I live. Yes, it’s a personal choice. My husband is getting his next week where he works, and I’ll be in line as soon as I can. Without herd immunity, we’ll never get ahead of this.

Please stay safe.

Last edited:
The FDA approved the Pfizer vaccine last night for emergency use.

I’m glad you live in an area where it’s not bad. It’s very bad here where I live. Yes, it’s a personal choice. My husband is getting his next week where he works, and I’ll be in line as soon as I can. Without herd immunity, we’ll never get ahead of this.

Please stay safe.

Yes it was approved for EUA (emergency use) but it is not FDA approved. There is a bid difference. Just look up the FDA fact sheet and it even states on there that it is FDA unapproved. Once again, these are things that people need to know up front and the news is not reporting that fact and it is a very important fact. I am happy for anyone who wants to get it to protect themselves because they are vulnerable.

I am an RN as well and I don't think that saying it's safe is very good advice since it is still not an FDA approved vaccine. No one knows what the longer term side effects will be plus there are numerous reports of allergic responses in Europe. I live in an area of FL where we have one of the highest average ages in the state and we are doing very well. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed even with out of state people arriving here. I am not saying that covid is a hoax but there have also been many things blown out of proportion. Just like Mad-dog88 said the number of deaths here have been false. I've seen death certificates that stated the primary cause of death was covid but the secondary was stuff like gunshot wound to the head or even death from car accidents. I feel very saddened by the fact that this whole virus has become politicized instead of taking care of people. I am not trying to be a bi*ch here. I just think this is something that is very personal and should be decided by each person without any type of pressure from anyone else.

That's the thing that has UPSET me the most that it has become a political football!! It's brought out the best and worst in people. I've had people older than me have temper tantrums because I wasn't in lock step with them. I've seen people in public dressed like morons....I.E. A Guy in a welders helmet at the market. But I've watched people care for others that might be high risk and make sacrifices. All I can say is THANK GOD Liquor stores are essential! But EVERYONE and what they do for a living is essential.

Geoff & Cooper AKA...Bark Master C!

Who could have imagined this time last year that 2020 would see us living through a real-life situation that many of us would only have experienced on screen, in movies and tv shows, previously. And now as we come to the end of the year we are starting to roll out vaccines and looking hopefully at 2021. Yes it is a shame that Covid-19 has become so political and also a shame that the media puts a lot of attention on the idiots and morons out there. But the politicians and morons are the minority. Lets put our focus on the outstanding efforts and achievements by the many heroes this year.

All those who have worked on the front line caring for the sick, all those who have been working on developing the vaccines and researching possible treatment options, all those who have gotten a Covid test and isolated themselves when they've felt sick in order to protect others, all those who have assisted elderly and vulnerable people by shopping for them and checking up on them, the list goes on.

But it is important to remember we are not out of the woods yet. My concern is that people who have been vaccinated will become complacent. These vaccines are new and none of them are 100% effective in the clinical trials. Also we don't know how effective they will be if Covid-19 behaves more like the flu virus and mutates quickly with different strains. So please, understand that these are very early days in the vaccination stage and continue to take precautions. As we say here in New Zealand, Kia kaha, stay strong!

I live in West Virginia and we haven't gotten COVID yet! My husband's brother that works in a hospital in Huntington, WV, did get it and survived.

My husband and I went to Myrtle Beach the first week in October and didn't get it there. We wore masks inside, but didn't on the Beach. We socially distance everywhere too. We even went to Medieval Times and we did not catch it. But, in Medieval Times we didn't wear a mask at the event, but before we went in there we had too!

My mother works at a nursing near San Diego. Most of the employees got it, except her so far. Now, there is a surge of patients in the nursing home now.

My husband's kids go to two day a school, but they are not sick. The school suspended class for them this week. They said their school is in orange not green.

I don't go to any gyms or churches. I do my workouts in house or outside. I wear my mask inside or a building. I don't mind to do that.

I volunteer for the VA as a driver for people that can't get up to the VA hospital. All of them wear masks and I wear a mask in the van when
I drive them and I wear it in the hospital.

I still can smell and taste everything. Sometimes I wish I couldn't smell, but I don't want to become ill.

I read an article saying if you are A or AB blood types if you get it, it is really bad. B blood type you could get, but not as bad. And type O if you get it it isn't that bad. Also, if your blood type isRH negative like A negative youhave better survival rates. And if you are O Negative like me, you are in the better outcome. But, youstill need towear masks.

Here you can go to Church, but I wouldn't advise it. I noticed in one of thechurches here they were on Faceboook live and the congregation didn't wear masks.

If they have a vaccine for me I would take it. But, I still would wear a mask. I would treat it like the flu vaccine. You can still get the flu, so you have to be careful.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer Denny

More remote part of Iowa here. I personally know 6 people who died of Covid. My county is quite small, less than 5000 people in a 20 square mile county, but 6 people have died. One were a husband/wife who died within an hour of each other holding hands :( He was the retired Sheriff and she was a retired nurse from our county hospital.
I'm also an RN who works very part-time, only a couple nights a month. And still, I've had multiple Covid patients. One poor man was there over 20 days and many there at least 2 weeks.
I've not been to church since March and I miss it. I miss movies in theaters, I miss just going to the mall to shop, I missed my large family Thanksgiving, I'm going to miss my large family Christmas.
I wish people (overall) gave a CRAP about one another. Only after the couple, the retired Sheriff and nurse, died did many people only START to wear masks in the stores. In November. But nope it seems to way to many, their right to expose everyone to whatever outranks people's right to not get sick.

I learned a few days ago that my Aunt got COVID and she lives in Idaho! She got it from a friend and that friend got it from another friend. It wasn't like my Aunt went to a restaurant and got it!

My mom is still testing negative at her work in CA. But, there is a conspiracy that her work is withholding information on real positives!

As for me, still no COVID! I joke with my husband that if I got the symptom of not smelling it would be a vacation! I don't love smelling his fried Spam and other nasty concoctions!

Thanks for reading,
Jennifer Denny

Here in WV when COVID was first introduced the government told us to wear masks! I wear it because it is better manners! I noticed more people are smoking too!
Jennifer Denny

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.