Continuing the discussion on MSM, Collagen, etc.

BAM

Cathlete
Hi ladies. So as not to hijack SRP's thread, it's probably best to start a new thread to continue our discussion regarding MSM, Collagen, etc. Here is the link to the thread that began this topic.

http://cathe.com/forum/f97/sad-day-need-stop-lifting-weights-295775/index4.html

Thank you SRP for posting and hopefully you will find the right solution that works great for you! So many of us can relate to what you're going through. I just love how we can all support each other!

Since this topic came up, I have been on the web for hours researching OptiMSM brands, prices and reviews. Hmmmmm, a little OCD maybe? :rolleyes: In addition to the Jarrow that DirtDiva mentioned, the two that I found rated high are Source Naturals and Doctor's Best. DB is a bit more expensive in the discounted state but the reviews are great! I am listing links to various sites and you'll want to store this info for other types of purchases because they have such great prices on EVERYTHING! (Sorry, don't hate me. :p) I started listing each individual link for each product on the various sites but it was becoming quite long so I'm listing the link to 3 discount websites where you can type in each product and see the great prices. I'm finding that the Pure Formulas site may have the cheapest prices across the board AND they offer free shipping on an order of any amount. Be sure to check out other products you may use to take advantage of all the discounts that these sites have to offer. I have saved so much money using them.

The three brands for OptiMsm that have been discussed are: Jarrow, Source Naturals and Doctor's Best.

Discount Vitamins, Supplements, Health Foods & More | Vitacost

Health Supplements & Vitamins for Sale | PureFormulas - This may be my new favorite site with free shipping on any size order. They don't seem to carry as many brands as the others but there's still plenty. Plus, they will probably be adding on brands as time goes on.

All Product Catgories at WebVitamins.com

I contacted Great Lakes and they said their Green Label Collagen is only type 1. What I was told is that whether it's type 1, 2, or 3, after the body breaks it down, it's all recognized as the same polypeptide. (I hope I got that right, lol.) Also, the reason to separate taking collagen away from other proteins is because the body can absorb only so much protein at once and you want to make sure your body absorbs all of the collagen supplement. Also, adding some vitamin c (fruit or supplement) is beneficial.

Please continue to share what has worked for relieving any pains/inflammation that you've experienced. It really does help us all!

Bam

Hi Bam. I've been taking Doctor's Best Collagen Types 1 & 3 for almost 3 months. This collagen has been in the market for a long time. I'm 35 and I remember using it when I was in high school. I stopped taking it and forgot about it and last year decided to start collagen again, found that one again that I knew I had used before, and bought it. Amazon has the best price I've seen, but if anybody can find it for a better price please share. I take it with water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and I break a chewable vit c and take a tiny piece of vit c with the collagen. It is smelly and it has an odd taste if you take it with water, but I got used to it. You have to wait at least 30 minutes before meals after taking it. Some people mix it with juice or coffee to mask the taste. As far as results, I can't say anything about joint pain or ligaments, but my hair and nails are growing thicker and stronger than before. I wanted to add collagen to my diet without using supplements, but the sources of collagen come from food I don't normally eat so the supplement route was the best for me.

Hi IslandRose. Glad to hear you are getting benefits from the collagen. I could certainly use help with my hair. When I used the Neocell awhile back, I can't say that I noticed anything differently. I'm willing to try again with another brand. I don't like to incorporate more than one new supplement into my diet at a time as I have a very sensitive system and have to go slow with new things. So I'm starting with the MSM for now and will see how that goes.

I checked out the prices for Doctor's Best on Amazon and yes, they are pretty cheap but what is your total cost with shipping? PureFormulas, as stated above, has no shipping fees so it might be cheaper overall. Also, if you have several other items to order, Vitacost might be the way to go as they have free shipping over $49.00. BUT, if you order $25 of anything in their brand name, that and everything else you order has free shipping. Ah, so many variables. :confused::)

Bam

Hi IslandRose. Glad to hear you are getting benefits from the collagen. I could certainly use help with my hair. When I used the Neocell awhile back, I can't say that I noticed anything differently. I'm willing to try again with another brand. I don't like to incorporate more than one new supplement into my diet at a time as I have a very sensitive system and have to go slow with new things. So I'm starting with the MSM for now and will see how that goes.

I checked out the prices for Doctor's Best on Amazon and yes, they are pretty cheap but what is your total cost with shipping? PureFormulas, as stated above, has no shipping fees so it might be cheaper overall. Also, if you have several other items to order, Vitacost might be the way to go as they have free shipping over $49.00. BUT, if you order $25 of anything in their brand name, that and everything else you order has free shipping. Ah, so many variables. :confused::)

Bam

Shipping was free because I ordered several and my order total was over $25. Just make sure that the items that you order are directly from Amazon (not the other vendors), that the items are eligible for free shipping for the area that you live, and if they are your order total should be over $25. As far as results, as usual individual results may vary, and not only that, for some people it can take months to see results. I hope this helps. Have a nice day!

Wow! You really are getting a great price. Not sure you can beat that one! Glad you've found an affordable product that works for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Bam

Wow! You really are getting a great price. Not sure you can beat that one! Glad you've found an affordable product that works for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Bam

Heh:eek: you better believe it! I hope MSM works for you. I cannot take a ton of supplements either. Remember to give it a couple of months and don't be afraid to switch brands. Reading reviews also helps.

Heh:eek: you better believe it! I hope MSM works for you. I cannot take a ton of supplements either. Remember to give it a couple of months and don't be afraid to switch brands. Reading reviews also helps.

I'm a reviews reader junkie. I literally can spend hours searching and reading about products. I've been doing that since this discussion began about MSM and collagen and now the 5-Loxin that was mentioned on the other thread. It's amazing how time flies when you're researching on the computer. I just wish time flew that quickly when doing other things..........like maybe housecleaning? :p

Hi lovelly ladies, I'm lost, collageno is for skin, hair and nails. :eek:. For a week now I start to feel pain in my wrist,knee, shoulders and elbows, so I was think it to get some calcium, any oppinion?. Thank you.

Hi lovelly ladies, I'm lost, collageno is for skin, hair and nails. :eek:. For a week now I start to feel pain in my wrist,knee, shoulders and elbows, so I was think it to get some calcium, any oppinion?. Thank you.

Hi Mariposa1973. I think it's very important to find out why you have those pains. Having a diagnosis is vital in treatment especially if your pains continue. That being said, I was reminded of a supplement called Bone-Up by Jarrow Formulas on another thread. When I took that, it eased the pain of my joints in my hands. I can't say that it helped with my neck/back/shoulder problems. I also took a product called Total Mins by Country Life (a multi-mineral supplement) which also helped. I purchased the iron-free capsules formula.

I've been on MSM 2000mg for 1 week now and even though I haven't seen any results yet (too soon, I know) there's something inside me that feels positive things are happening. I will be adding on some new supplements, one at a time, in the near future to find exactly what works for me.

I hope you feel better and find the source of your pain. Please keep us posted!

Bam

Hi Mariposa1973. I think it's very important to find out why you have those pains. Having a diagnosis is vital in treatment especially if your pains continue. That being said, I was reminded of a supplement called Bone-Up by Jarrow Formulas on another thread. When I took that, it eased the pain of my joints in my hands. I can't say that it helped with my neck/back/shoulder problems. I also took a product called Total Mins by Country Life (a multi-mineral supplement) which also helped. I purchased the iron-free capsules formula.

I've been on MSM 2000mg for 1 week now and even though I haven't seen any results yet (too soon, I know) there's something inside me that feels positive things are happening. I will be adding on some new supplements, one at a time, in the near future to find exactly what works for me.

I hope you feel better and find the source of your pain. Please keep us posted!

Bam

100% agree with BAM. When I had my annual check-up last year my doctor ordered bloodwork for everything including calcium and vitamin D levels. Your doctor needs to check everything first. I told her I wanted to start taking collagen again and she checked if it would interfere with any meds I was taking it didn't and then said "you can use it, but I can't promise you it will work". Results are so different on so many people that you have to be careful with supplements and no matter how many things you read or hear about them, they will never substitute your primary care physician. That being said both collagen and MSM are said to have benefits for skin, hair, nails, bones, ligaments, and tendons.

My boyfriend just had surgery on his foot and he has cartilage damage, missing cartilage, damaged tendons and arthritis. We've talked here about some great supplements that will help him. I know I have read reviews on some products in the past where people actually built up cartilage. Do you know which products of those that we mentioned or other ones that we haven't that actually do build cartilage? I'm doing a search now trying to find out. If you have any other suggestions based on his diagnosis I'd certainly love to hear it!

Thank you!

Bam

Hi ladies. In doing some research, the following book was recommended as a must read on MSM. It states that it can be a miracle for many for a myriad of ailments while with others, there may not be any effect. I certainly hope I'm one of the many that benefit by it. Of course not one thing can work for everyone which is why we must try different things if we don't get results from whatever we are currently trying.

Product Reviews: The Miracle of MSM: The Natural Solution for Pain: Amazon.com

Hope it helps!

Bam

Collagen works for me.

I have started using Neocell (from Amazon-free shipping) and my painful knees got relief in a very short time (10 days or so). I then took it for about a month.
I know I don't post often, but had to put my two cents in here. It couldn't hurt to try a bottle if your joints are giving you trouble.
My husband saw my improvement and started to take them also. He now has no shoulder pain during his weight lifting. We are 40 and I was getting worried that my knees were shot, so I am glad I tried it. Also, I don't need to take it for the rest of my life..I got to where I felt fine, and the pain has not been back since-so far three months. I had knee trouble for over a year, especially when trying to work out. I had to stop stepping the entire time because of the pain and I was very discouraged. Now.. I am back on the step with no problems! I will certainly keep collagen in the cabinet if I get a flare up, but I couldn't be happier with the results I had gotten. I'm sure it has to do with what is going on with you joints whether it will work for you or not of course, but for the cost it couldn't hurt to try. I never considered the MSM because in my research, I found that MSM/Glucosamine/chondroitin may work, but you will need to keep taking because they will sort of mask the problem, not help fix the root cause. Collagen supposedly gives your body the building blocks it needs for repair, Good luck!

I have started using Neocell (from Amazon-free shipping) and my painful knees got relief in a very short time (10 days or so). I then took it for about a month.
I know I don't post often, but had to put my two cents in here. It couldn't hurt to try a bottle if your joints are giving you trouble.
My husband saw my improvement and started to take them also. He now has no shoulder pain during his weight lifting. We are 40 and I was getting worried that my knees were shot, so I am glad I tried it. Also, I don't need to take it for the rest of my life..I got to where I felt fine, and the pain has not been back since-so far three months. I had knee trouble for over a year, especially when trying to work out. I had to stop stepping the entire time because of the pain and I was very discouraged. Now.. I am back on the step with no problems! I will certainly keep collagen in the cabinet if I get a flare up, but I couldn't be happier with the results I had gotten. I'm sure it has to do with what is going on with you joints whether it will work for you or not of course, but for the cost it couldn't hurt to try. I never considered the MSM because in my research, I found that MSM/Glucosamine/chondroitin may work, but you will need to keep taking because they will sort of mask the problem, not help fix the root cause. Collagen supposedly gives your body the building blocks it needs for repair, Good luck!

I think it's awesome the great results you and your husband got with the collagen! That's so exciting! I didn't receive those same benefits but am willing to try it again. Thanks so much for sharing and I'm so glad that you are working out pain free!

I want to give an update on the MSM. I've been taking it for 3 weeks to date and worked up to 4000mg/day. It is not the OptiMSM as I was using up a bottle of caps that I had in the drawer. I'm probably noticing about a 15% improvement in all of my aches and pains. I will be receiving the OptiMSM in powder form tomorrow and will start that. I will also be receiving the 5-Loxin tomorrow and will start that too! There is something else that I just started taking and will give more details when I know what it's doing. I like trying only one new thing at a time to see what is actually working. With all the pains I'm experiencing, I may not wait too long between tries as I want relief NOW! :p

I have decided that I definitely want to try hyaluronic acid and will be doing that as soon as I decide which brand to try. I've been doing a lot of research and am considering getting a combo with collagen and with MSM as well. (Kill as many birds as you can with one stone. ;)) If you have a favorite brand, please share. A wonderful benefit of hyaluronic acid is that it plumps up your skin and reduces wrinkles. Not that any of us here would need that. :p

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.